Hearts and Minds Updraft BUG — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Hearts and Minds Updraft BUG

This has happened to multiple players, it keeps returning and it doesn't get FIXED. With PoF coming out it is going to get harder by default to find parties to do the painstakingly long final mission of HoT (Hearts and Minds). However when you find a full party - thank the Six - and you get blown OUT of the mission because you use the Updraft you have to...

Is this that much trouble to fix? I'm not a Dev so I don't understand but some feedback would be pleasant.

<1

Comments

• Thanks for the tip, I'll try that for sure.

• Karmapolice.4193Karmapolice.4193 Member ✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017

This just happened to me. What a flippin' embarrassing mess of story instance. Why are there no checkpoints in story instances still? For a game that puts so much emphasis on its story things like this are unacceptable. Maybe if the game gave me more than half a second to react to this bug, I could've done something about this. Now I get to do the other 2 boss fights again. Hooray, those are so enjoyable.

• This happened to me yesterday, I had a nice team and all went fine until the first updraft phase and I was shot to the air faster than the rocket that went to the moon without any chance to react. I suddenly found myself in the lobby instance without any chance to join the team inside the story and all the things I wanted to accomplish were not done. Is it possible to fix this bug or could you at least make some other way to get the order back items? As for the flying achievement in the story I am not sure if it even can be completed with the updrafts being as they are now.

AFK what cannot be AFK'd.

• You really need to put in an invisible ceiling for this mission. The fact that there are achievements regarding the gliding part is bad enough, but getting booted out of the instance completely is just irritating and time consuming. Either shove a ceiling in, or take out the achievements.
    I had left this because of this reason, and then today realised it still having this issue. Pain in the rear end.

• Llethander.3972Llethander.3972 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017

If this is similar to what I experienced the last time I did Hearts and Minds then it is not to do with lag perse. It may be linked, however, to desynchronization from the server which is similar, though not the same as, lagging in that it is typically caused by packet loss somewhere during the data transmission from the server to the client. Suffice it to say, there is something funky that occasionally happens with updrafts, though I have only actually had it happen when in a group with other players. Any time I have done the mission solo I have not experienced this.

https://image.ibb.co/krc1ab/gw027.jpg
    https://image.ibb.co/fESZvb/gw028.jpg

• Bumping this up. I just encountered this bug during the second updraft phase and got fired up so blasted quick I had no chance whatsoever to react. I was solo, and ping sitting at 99.

• As a fix I suggest that the height of the updrafts in the instance should be fixed to certain height that is below the maximum height of the instance thus preventing people being blasted through the "roof" of the story and thus being booted out. At this moment the updraft height in the story seems to be near infinite.

• kelloggs.3985kelloggs.3985 Member
    edited November 26, 2017

omg that happened to me just now - jesus - i played solo for god knows how long just to get blown out of bounds. im so angry right now, i cant believe this!

• This happened to one of the people in my group last night! How about that ceiling, AN? Also, the NPCs keep disappearing on everyone's screens and we have to use tab targeting to find them (unless they find us first).

• Hey Nephalem, I think that was me! Did you guys end up completing Migraine?

• it happened to me 3 times (yes..) in November on the same alt... It's kind of discouraging - to try the same instance for so many times and be kicked out of it by some bug...

• Cerb.1352Cerb.1352 Member
    edited December 10, 2017

Just happened to me "take to the skies" then you have to start over because you get booted back to the start thank you for wasting my time ArenaNet :/

• Can we have any official response for this topic? People have even suggested fixes for this problem.

• After several weeks, I was finally able to find another group willing to give this a try. We made it to the final boss and once again, a player was ejected from the instance because of the updraft bug. It wasn't me this time but as luck would have it, it was the player that started the instance so the rest of us received a message saying that the instance owner had left and we were all booted out.

This bug has been confirmed by ANET in a support ticket. It has been around for years. Some players have suggested adding an invisible ceiling as a possible fix. Can we get an official comment on this suggestion? Is there some reason why an invisible ceiling would not work?

• If it is not feasible to make invisible ceiling, then how about just limiting the updraft height to some reasonable amount that you cannot possibly be booted out because of it? Some sort of response would be nice.

• Lillis.9473Lillis.9473 Member ✭✭
    edited January 7, 2018

5 hours of struggling with Migraine, take the mandatory updraft and get booted from the instance. This is the final mission in expansion and a bear to grind through. Kicking a player near the end because of a bug is really unacceptable. You need to fix this.

• Yea... guess what happend to me? After all the "enjoyable" bossfights, the updraft bug got me too. How long is this expansion out A-Net? How long do you need to fix such an gamebraking bug? Ohhhh, i understand. It is MUCH more important to create the same grindquest ala "living story" over and over again, and the new stuff for the shop. You already got my money for HoT, so it is not important anymore. I´m so kitten mad right now, how hard can it be to playtest your stuff BEFORE releasing it? This is just poor!

• Fixed a bug in which players could be launched into outer space when gliding into an updraft in the "Hearts and Minds" chapter of Heart of Thorns

Thank you, ANET.

• DaiABolical.1295DaiABolical.1295 Member
    edited February 11, 2018

raykor.6723raykor.6723 was that a genuine bug fix notice? If so it was a bit premature. Just happened to me on February 11th, same issue as before, shot into outer space on an updraft! Isn't it about time this was fixed? It's not even as if that part of the instance is FUN!

• This bug is not fixed, it just happend again!

• Happened to me today, still hasn't been fixed...

• Same thing happened to me 2 days ago while helping a friend with her story, I was kicked from the instance in the gliding part. She fortunately was able to complete it but took a while to solo.

• happens to me last night.. i thought it was fixed already? updraft shoot me way up in the ceiling and kick from instance.

• Definitely not fixed - happened to me last night.

If adding an invisible ceiling or kick delay is impossible, then the only solution is to switch the boss fights around. It would be less dramatic to start with Mordremoth I guess, but at least we would waste less time redoing the instance from the beginning when the bug happens:)

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

Aside from the fact that those bugs are still a problem, you can do the story easily solo.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@quon.9328 said:
    Definitely not fixed - happened to me last night.

If adding an invisible ceiling or kick delay is impossible, then the only solution is to switch the boss fights around. It would be less dramatic to start with Mordremoth I guess, but at least we would waste less time redoing the instance from the beginning when the bug happens:)

Unless you are trying to doing Migraine achievement there is no point in using the updrafts. Just stand in the shield/bubble/dome thing where the NPCs are.

• mygamingid.5816mygamingid.5816 Member ✭✭✭

Definitely not fixed, just happened to my wife.

• This happened to me last night when I was helping my guildmate out. He managed to finish it with the sole other person in our party, but it was still a little odd to wait outside until they were done...
    Maybe besides fixing it, an option to "Rejoin party in instance" should be made available?

I have infinite patience, but I still have a threshold for idiocy.

• It just did this to the three of us....has anyone received a response from a Dev?

• Just wasted a good 30-40 minutes with a group of 4 because of this.

Devs: If I send you pizza would you please fix this & add checkpoints? It's super tough and takes an extremely long time == very frustrating.

• This is still happening. Just returned to finish because I hated it so much before, spent a while ducking and diving killing stuff (got to phase 4) then launched into the air to get off the ground and was shot upwards and was ejected for leaving the map! So still hate it. Please fix this annoying waste of my time which wrecks my enjoyment.

• Not only is the ejection still happening, there's an issue where the enemy NPCs disappear from various random members of the group, making it very difficult to do damage. I would love to finish this achievement, but its behavior is so random it's not worth getting in there and hoping that the stars align. If nothing else, a checkpoint that allows us to restart at the phase we last achieved would be a huge improvement that would make the other issue more palatable since you'll eventually RNG it and be successful.

I'll pitch in on the pizza party to get this fixed! :)

• Amazingly disappointing that this happen to me for the first time. Had to search if there was a bug and found out other players also have the same issue. Hope it gets fixed

• Nephalem.1458Nephalem.1458 Member ✭✭

@Wafflechomp.5703 said:
    Amazingly disappointing that this happen to me for the first time. Had to search if there was a bug and found out other players also have the same issue. Hope it gets fixed

I submitted a ticket to Anet and received a response requesting a video of the ejection, citing that the issue had been fixed in the March patch mentioned above. I replied back saying that others had commented here that the ejection problem was still happening, but that was pretty much the end of it. They suggested submitting an in-game bug report so that it would go directly to the support team.

• @Nephalem.1458 said:

@Wafflechomp.5703 said:
    Amazingly disappointing that this happen to me for the first time. Had to search if there was a bug and found out other players also have the same issue. Hope it gets fixed

I submitted a ticket to Anet and received a response requesting a video of the ejection, citing that the issue had been fixed in the March patch mentioned above. I replied back saying that others had commented here that the ejection problem was still happening, but that was pretty much the end of it. They suggested submitting an in-game bug report so that it would go directly to the support team.

Well that's disappointing they don't believe this bug is still happening and I definitely submit the bug report in-game. I think i'm pretty much done with HoT story so I don't have to worry about that anymore, although it's unfortunate for the future new players and achievement hunters.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2018

@EchoPadder.7546 said:
    This bug is not fixed, it just happend again!

It's not a bug. You need to press the "Use" key to use one of those updrafts. Simply jumping onto them usually doesn't do the trick here.

• elrin.4750elrin.4750 Member ✭✭✭

Victory or Death still has bugs to this day. I can guarantee Heart and Minds will still be buggy 4 years from now.

• Nanunu.1403Nanunu.1403 Member ✭✭

This happened to me just now. Anet, this has not been fixed.

• Just tried this fight with a friend - spent the first attempt in the penalty box and the second attempt the updraft launched me out of the instance. Seems unlikely that it will be fixed but I'm mad enough to post about it anyway.

• MetaRie.3740MetaRie.3740 Member
    edited September 8, 2018

Such a joke. Happened to me last night in a group and just now solo. The mission takes forever to get to that point. How has this been around for so long?
    Edit: Apparently it only happens if you jump into the updrafts. Absolutely no way of knowing that without looking it up first.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jerkops.2796 said:
    Just tried this fight with a friend - spent the first attempt in the penalty box and the second attempt the updraft launched me out of the instance. Seems unlikely that it will be fixed but I'm mad enough to post about it anyway.

Like I said before, press your "Use" key to use an updraft in this mission. It is not bugged.

• Just because you believe there is a workaround, saying "it is not a bug" does not make it not a bug. ArenaNet has officially confirmed this to be a bug and even announced it to be fixed but the fix did apparently not work.

The updrafts normally work just fine by when you jump into them and open your glider, like every other HoT updraft. The bug is that sometimes you will get shot/catapulted upwards with insane superspeed and leave the instance within about 0.5 seconds. The way you start using the updrafts may not even matter and it might just as well happen when using them with the use key instead of using them the normal HoT way like you would expect pretty much every player to do.

YouTube “L2villagejester”.
    People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
    Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

• WHYYYY

100% still a bug.
    Had no idea this was an issue, jumped into an updraft, shot right the f out of the story faster than the GOP confirmed Kavanaugh.

Even if you don't end up fixing the bug, I beg of you - at least put checkpoints in between fighting the two previous sub-bosses, some kind of warning before the updraft sequence happens, or even just restore player's inventories to their state before the battle if they encounter this bug (RIP armor repair canisters).

I realize there are many hours in my life, but these past few were frustrating enough to put me off of playing GW for a hot minute, let alone trying to complete that story line anytime soon.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@tittysprinkles.1369 said:
    WHYYYY

100% still a bug.
    Had no idea this was an issue, jumped into an updraft, shot right the f out of the story faster than the GOP confirmed Kavanaugh.

Even if you don't end up fixing the bug, I beg of you - at least put checkpoints in between fighting the two previous sub-bosses, some kind of warning before the updraft sequence happens, or even just restore player's inventories to their state before the battle if they encounter this bug (RIP armor repair canisters).

I realize there are many hours in my life, but these past few were frustrating enough to put me off of playing GW for a hot minute, let alone trying to complete that story line anytime soon.

Yea I think people in this thread have said you shouldent jump into the updraft go to them and interact mate.

• Shikigami.4013Shikigami.4013 Member ✭✭✭

The point is - this bug does not happen constantly or with any sort of reliability. Just because some people "used" an updraft by interacting with it (instead of "using" an updraft like every single other updraft in HoT by gliding into it) and did not get shot out of the instance does not mean that it does not happen if you use the interaction key. It just did not happen to those people, just like it is not happening to a lot of people who glide into it.

I assume when people know how to use updrafts in HoT, they will likely just use them the same way in this instance, which is why reports of this bug come in from people having done just that, and not from the few who used the interaction key and and got away with it without running into the bug.

But unless someone volunteers to do the instance over and over again and just use the interaction key until running into the bug, we probably won't know for sure. If anyone having read this thread does the instance and gets shot out after using the interaction key instead of gliding, plese report so that ANet has more clues where to look when trying to fix it (again).

YouTube “L2villagejester”.
    People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
    Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

• even if someone jumps into it, and makes a mistake in doing so, they shouldn't be launched into frikkin outer space and get kicked from the instance! It may not be a bug but it IS definitely an issue. And yeah, it just happened to me. But i didn't jump in it, I was brought down by Mordremoth and when I tried getting airborne again, I was launched like an empty can in a hallway. I couldn't very well make a video out of it since it was my first time doing the mission and I didn't even think something like this could happen!

• BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372BolkovonHarnfeldt.1372 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2019

Seriously Arenanet, this bug is still not fixed...This instance isn't much fun to do in the first place. Having to repeat it, because of a bug one encounters more than 3 years after release...

• My god Arenanet... after finally reaching mordremoth, getting him to his last breath and getting expeled from the instance by the final updraft... i was about to break my monitor, pleaaase fix this issue. I have done this instance like trhee times since i am bad at the game and it is unacceptable to encounter this bug that people found out so long ago.

• This just happened to me.. Please fix it

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.