Periodic Server Reset

Sovereign.1093

I define this as anet resets the servers and players choose a new home in regular periods.

why?

reseting the correct activity per world.

deleting unnecessary tiers.

and removing inactive accounts from the calculation.

destacking of over populated servers.

data to estimate average no. of players per time zone. per world.

what do you think?

pls be civil.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:We had something similar at launch and all it did was lead to the stacking of servers. They’re already working on an alternative to what we have now.

do you have a basis to say that now is the same 6 years ago?

I never said that now is the same as six years ago.

=)

so what is your basis that this idea will cause stacking of servers?

i think it will stack servers with active players and those who are not will not be counted. since not active ones will have to turn active to be counted.

and if some tiers are not joined. some tiers can be deleted.

@Sovereign.1093 said:I define this as anet resets the servers and players choose a new home in regular periods.

Too time and labor intensive for both Anet and the players.

Inactive accounts don't count towards the calculation.

Players need to do this. If it's overstacked, people leave. Or they wait is queues. The new alliance system in the year 2520 will solve this.

Would love this.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:I define this as anet resets the servers and players choose a new home in regular periods.

Players need to do this. If it's overstacked, people leave. Or they wait is queues. The new alliance system in the year 2520 will solve this.

Would love this.

how is it labor intensive to both player and anet?

doing it 4 times a year to frequent?

i dont have tech background. so...wouldnt this be like. 1 button press, players reset?

i wonder if diablo3 system was implemented - seasons there are fun.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

Would love this.

i dont have tech background.

Players: coordination between guild members to ensure they are on the same server and world.

Anet: effectively to build this, you would likely be close to the same workload it took to create the linking system. Then some sort of process to kick people from worlds each week/month/quarter depending on how often you propose.

Also, by kicking them, I would imagine it would create havoc for PvE people that wouldn't have a server for shards (world shards for mega servers) unless they selected it.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Would love this.

i dont have tech background.

Players: coordination between guild members to ensure they are on the same server and world.

Anet: effectively to build this, you would likely be close to the same workload it took to create the linking system. Then some sort of process to kick people from worlds each week/month/quarter depending on how often you propose.

Also, by kicking them, I would imagine it would create havoc for PvE people that wouldn't have a server for shards (world shards for mega servers) unless they selected it.

pve players normally dont do wvw unless for pips and gob. do you wonder what percentage they are compared to regular players?

hope anet will pip up eotm. then reduce tiers and get rid of links. =p

@Sovereign.1093 it's not necessarily that they do WvW.. Its the current server system is utilized when assigning 'shards' for entering a map. It prioritizes server. (After party and squad I believe).

With megaserver it's less of an issue, but I have a feeling based on the posts by developers that being 'unassigned' as far as servers go isn't an option.

I also imagine this is actually a part of the holdup for alliances. As PvE players make up a majority of the GW2 player base.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:We had something similar at launch and all it did was lead to the stacking of servers. They’re already working on an alternative to what we have now.

=)

i think it will stack servers with active players and those who are not will not be counted. since not active ones will have to turn active to be counted.

As I had said in my post, the system you’re suggesting is similar to what we had at launch. It was that system which led to stacking.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

=)

As I had said in my post, the system you’re suggesting is similar to what we had at launch. It was that system which led to stacking.

if same, why devs not choose to remove tiers?

idea may not have been thought of properly before.

you stack 3 tiers so tier 4 and 5 has togo.

next quarter.

stack 5 tiers.

solely based on active players. can be considered seasons like diablo 3.

why?

what do you think?

pls be civil.

This isn't any fundamentally different from what the WvW restructuring will bring.

Also, inactive accounts are already removed from world population calculation.

@Chaba.5410 said:

why?

what do you think?

pls be civil.

This isn't any fundamentally different from what the WvW restructuring will bring.

Also, inactive accounts are already removed from world population calculation.

is a simple version of the idea. just reset it all once in awhile.

adjust tiers and world size per quarter based on 4 months of wvw activity. compile per year and adjust some more

@Sovereign.1093 said:

=)

if same, why devs not choose to remove tiers?

idea may not have been thought of properly before.

you stack 3 tiers so tier 4 and 5 has togo.

next quarter.

stack 5 tiers.

solely based on active players. can be considered seasons like diablo 3.

Players are still assigned to worlds and that’s what they use for linking servers. Some tiers have been removed since they started linking.

They’re already working on a system so I’d rather they devote their resources on that rather than another system that will just be eventually scrapped.

@"Sovereign.1093" said:I define this as anet resets the servers and players choose a new home in regular periods.

why?

what do you think?

pls be civil.

Here is my civil response. It would be helpful if you followed developer comments before starting a thread like this, so you have a better idea of what’s going on, and why your request isn’t going anywhere.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/45856/world-restructuring-update-1

Tyvm, and have a good one!

@Sovereign.1093 said:disregard the idea they working on something.

this is a discusion on the idea of server resets only.

devs be working on their jobs. and my advise to them is only take data that can benefit their work. and dont be too affected.

would this not be a simple bridge?

I don’t see the point in disregarding that they’re working on something. Especially when that something makes what’s being suggested in this thread unnecessary.

You can surely discuss the idea of server resets but it won’t go beyond this thread with them working on another solution.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Sovereign.1093" said:I define this as anet resets the servers and players choose a new home in regular periods.

why?

what do you think?

pls be civil.

Here is my civil response. It would be helpful if you followed developer comments before starting a thread like this, so you have a better idea of what’s going on, and why your request isn’t going anywhere.

=)

thats not the topic of this thread though

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:disregard the idea they working on something.

this is a discusion on the idea of server resets only.

devs be working on their jobs. and my advise to them is only take data that can benefit their work. and dont be too affected.

would this not be a simple bridge?

I don’t see the point in disregarding that they’re working on something. Especially when that something makes what’s being suggested in this thread unnecessary.

You can surely discuss the idea of server resets but it won’t go beyond this thread with them working on another solution.

i can respect your opinion.

moving on then.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

why?

what do you think?

pls be civil.

=)

Your topic is about changing the “system”, but we are already getting a change... that the devs have been working on for months and months... and have posted a number of times about a new system coming. The devs were even nice enough to sticky the upcoming system changes at the top of this section.

@Swagger.1459 said:

why?

what do you think?

pls be civil.

=)

Your topic is about changing the “system”, but we are already getting a change... that the devs have been working on for months and months... and have posted a number of times about a new system coming. The devs were even nice enough to sticky the upcoming system changes at the top of this section.

thats not the thing i am talking about though. just this one. there is a thread for their idea. as it is not yet applied, i dont want to discuss that here.

Archived