Timegating legendaries via PoF maps.

Ceriph.3518

In case anyone doesn't know, if you want to build a Gen 2 legendary via PoF instead of using HoT...you have to get 250 Funeray Incense (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Funerary_Incense). You're capped out at 1 from a renown heart and 5 from other vendors, aka 6 a day. Yea its something you can just do daily and forget about them building up, but I just think its excessive.

I agree I think it's excessive too. I can't actually understand at all why it's limited to 6 a day, whereas the HoT method is not gated at all. Does anyone know why it is?

@Blocki.4931 said:It's either that or paying a lot for gemstones, be it directly or through conversion. Also 6 vs 4 a day from HoT metas. I think it's fair. Just something you can do on the side, not something you grind out once you actually need itYou still need the gemstones as best I can see; it's part of the recipe/barter-requirements for the Incense.

@Blocki.4931 said:It's either that or paying a lot for gemstones, be it directly or through conversion. Also 6 vs 4 a day from HoT metas. I think it's fair. Just something you can do on the side, not something you grind out once you actually need it

Each Funerary Incense costs 1 Amalgamated Gemstones so you still need lots of gemstones. The Funerary Incense is kind of a replacement for Crystalline Ingots.

Edit: also you can buy 13 a day, not 6 a day. It's 1 per day per Renown Vendor and there are 8 Renown Vendors in Vabbi that you can buy it from plus 5 from the Primeval Steward.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Blocki.4931 said:It's either that or paying a lot for gemstones, be it directly or through conversion. Also 6 vs 4 a day from HoT metas. I think it's fair. Just something you can do on the side, not something you grind out once you actually need it

Each Funerary Incense costs 1 Amalgamated Gemstones so you still need lots of gemstones. The Funerary Incense is kind of a replacement for Crystalline Ingots.

... I feel so stupid now!

@Edgy McEdgelord.4790 said:Timegating equals content amiright?

In Arena Net's mind, time gating = scarcity, and for them that's good... It keeps price's high... Nevermind that the requirements for that stuff would keep prices high by themselves (except quartz crystals, which are the origin of the system, because easy solutions trumped creative ones, as they've been for a long time now, which is a reason why the game lost much of it's appeal).

@"Malafaia.8903" said:It's not "instead of using HoT", since as said above, you still need the amalgamated gemstones.I really don't understand that funerary incense purpose.

Of course it is "instead of using HoT". Amalgamated Gemstones are core items.

Just because the HoT metas offer gemstones people seem to completely forget/not realise that a) AGs were added before HoT and b) you can not only trade them but make them in the MF. PoF even added more nodes giving orbs to make them!

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@"Malafaia.8903" said:It's not "instead of using HoT", since as said above, you still need the amalgamated gemstones.I really don't understand that funerary incense purpose.

Just because the HoT metas offer gemstones people seem to completely forget/not realise that a) AGs were added
before
HoT and b) you can not only trade them but
make them in the MF
. PoF even added more nodes giving orbs to make them!

Ok mate, change it to "instead of using HoT/ core". Looks better now?Point is: you still need the amalgamated gemstone. There's no "instead" here.

Things like this are why my first step in making a legendary is always to make a spreadsheet listing all the things I'll need and what step they're for. Part of that process is looking up anything I'm not sure about to find out how I can get it so I don't have any nasty surprises later on. The time-gated stuff and things which are just boring or can only be done a bit at a time are always the things I start first, even if I won't need them until later. Or as soon as I can start them since some won't drop until you're on that phase of the collection. The time-gating is annoying, but if I know it's coming it's not nearly as annoying as suddenly finding the one last thing I need will take weeks to get.

And sometimes I've appreciated being forced to take it slow so I don't burn myself out. I'm currently working on getting a full set of ascended equipment for raids and even though I hate farming there's a temptation to spend all my time going round and round LS3 maps getting the map currencies to buy trinkets. But it won't do me any good because I'll still be waiting to craft the armour, so I can just do 1 circuit per day and spend the rest of my time doing things I actually enjoy. (And I can't make this weeks raids anyway, so it'd be pointless to rush it by buying the time-gated materials.)

I'm still not sure why they do it though, other than to make legendaries harder to get. They are supposed to be the GW2 equivalent of top-tier equipment in other games (minus the stat boost) so I guess they wanted to make them as difficult as they could within the confines of the game they'd built. So it can't require stupidly hard group content only a few people are able to beat. I guess the casual-friendly equivalent of making it hard is making it slow.

As someone else said it's kind of a replacement for Crystalline Ingots. PoF doesn't have big meta-events and does have repeatable hearts so I guess they thought that was the nearest equivalent. My best guess is the cost is to 'compensate' for the fact that unlocking the heart merchants is easier.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

@Malafaia.8903 said:It's not "instead of using HoT", since as said above, you still need the amalgamated gemstones.I really don't understand that funerary incense purpose.

Just because the HoT metas offer gemstones people seem to completely forget/not realise that a) AGs were added
before
make them in the MF

Ok mate, change it to "instead of using HoT/ core". Looks better now?Point is: you still need the amalgamated gemstone. There's no "instead" here.

I'm not quite understanding what you mean here. In what way do you mean "there's no 'instead' here"?Your post clearly equalled requiring AGs with requiring HoT, which was what I stated was incorrect.

The point of the Gift of Desert Mastery-version is to give PoF-only owners access to these latter gen2 legendaries. Since AGs are available throughout the game, including PoF, it accomplishes that. It also gives an option to owners of both expacks to choose this route if they prefer PoF over HoT.

@Malafaia.8903 said:It's not "instead of using HoT", since as said above, you still need the amalgamated gemstones.I really don't understand that funerary incense purpose.

before
make them in the MF

I'm not quite understanding what you mean here. In what way do you mean "there's no 'instead' here"?Your post clearly equalled requiring AGs with requiring HoT, which was what I stated was incorrect.

The point of the Gift of Desert Mastery-version is to give PoF-only owners access to these latter gen2 legendaries. Since AGs are available throughout the game, including PoF, it accomplishes that. It
also
gives an option to owners of both expacks to choose this route if they prefer PoF over HoT.

How, exactly, you get AGs from PoF?

@Malafaia.8903 said:

before
make them in the MF

The point of the Gift of Desert Mastery-version is to give PoF-only owners access to these latter gen2 legendaries. Since AGs are available throughout the game, including PoF, it accomplishes that. It
also
gives an option to owners of both expacks to choose this route if they prefer PoF over HoT.

Ever open those chests you see all around? Mine all of those ori nodes? Chop the ancient wood trees? Gather the coral?

Tons of orbs just strewn about the desert.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

before
make them in the MF

also

Same way people made AGs prior to HoT. Tons of Orichalcum and Ancient wood nodes, these drop Orbs. Orbs can be forged into AGs. If this is too slow, orbs are tradeable.

AGs were clearly added to gen2 legendaries specifically to increase the price, just like the extra stack of MCs. AGs being valuable to trade or semi-expensive to make is pretty much their feature.

before
make them in the MF

also

Same way people made AGs prior to HoT. Tons of Orichalcum and Ancient wood nodes, these drop Orbs. Orbs can be forged into AGs. If this is too slow, orbs are tradeable.

AGs were
clearly
added to gen2 legendaries specifically to increase the price, just like the extra stack of MCs. AGs being valuable to trade or semi-expensive to make is pretty much their feature.

That's exactly my point, mate.Try "gathering" 250 AGs and tell me when you're going to make a gen 2 legendary... It was plausible when you needed like 20 of them to craft Eternal Sands, i.e (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Eternal_Sands)...We need a reliable way of getting AGs from PoF, just like we have on HoT.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

before
make them in the MF

also

AGs were
clearly
added to gen2 legendaries specifically to increase the price, just like the extra stack of MCs. AGs being valuable to trade or semi-expensive to make is pretty much their feature.

That's exactly my point, mate.Try "gathering" 250 AGs and tell me when you're going to make a gen 2 legendary... It was plausible when you needed like 20 of them to craft Eternal Sands, i.e (
)...We need a reliable way of getting AGs from PoF, just like we have on HoT.

I find the suggestion of adding AGs as a reward to some PoF metas perfectly fine, but the game supplies a perfectly adequate source across the player base.

I really think that just like MCs the AGs are not meant to be farmed by the crafter. They're meant to be traded, either directly or indirectly (by trading orbs). I make them in the MF, since I don't find the prospect of doing 200+ HoT metas per legendary enjoyable.

before
make them in the MF

also

AGs were
clearly

That's exactly my point, mate.Try "gathering" 250 AGs and tell me when you're going to make a gen 2 legendary... It was plausible when you needed like 20 of them to craft Eternal Sands, i.e (
)...We need a reliable way of getting AGs from PoF, just like we have on HoT.

I find the suggestion of adding AGs as a reward to some PoF metas perfectly fine, but the game supplies a perfectly adequate source
across the player base

I really think that just like MCs the AGs
are not meant to be farmed
by the crafter. They're meant to be traded, either directly or indirectly (by trading orbs). I make them in the MF, since I don't find the prospect of doing 200+ HoT metas per legendary enjoyable.

It's not all that bad unless you are in big hurry. I have 290 sitting in the bank. Nearly all of that is from VB and forging crystals when mystic forger daily comes up and when I get medallions from chests.

It's not the only thing in the game with that kind of time gating. Crafting a full set of ascended armor takes about a month of crafting cooldowns. Every single LS map reward has a daily cap. And there's still charged quartz for some reason, which is not even that good an item.

I'm not trying to say it's an invalid complaint - it is. But limiting it to legendaries and not mentioning the rest is a bit shortsighted. I guess it's not important when it's not content you play.

Archived