Cross Species, Famous Couples

Scritch Yiffinton.1943

Well "certain parts" of the community will say LoganxRytlock or BrahamxRox...

But more seriously, there aren't really any "famous" couples. There are some "cross species crushes" though, not actual relationships:

In this event chain of Timberline Falls, there is a male human (Worker Markus) who tries to woo a female norn (Crusader Soma) and fails, continuously.

In this event chain of Cursed Shore, there is a male human (Crusader Jasper) who is seems to have affection for the love-blind female sylvari (Historian Fia).

In this event there is a male grawl who is smitten by a female harpy.

Then, of course, there is Joko with his wide harem of humans, ogres, harpies, and choya (oh my).

The only reciprocal cross-species relationship directly seen are the human male and norn female found in the realm of the dead during The Departing. Sadly, they only realized in death how much they cared for each other, and thus chose to remain there rather than go to separate afterlives.

As far as confirmed 1-way crushes, Konig got a good number of them. I'd add the two different skritt that fall in love with Exalteds in Auric Basin, one a male skritt to female Exalted, the other reversed. The skritt may just be blinded by the shiny, though.

You could headcanon that Ventari (centaur) and Ronan (human) were a couple. They raised the Pale Tree together, kind of like an adopted plant daughter in their quaint maguuma jungle outpost. :)

Obviously there's no basis for them as a romantic duo, but nothing really says "no" to it either. Ronan's entire family died by the time they met, and as far as I know Ventari had no other familial or romantic attachments. They could have conceivably fell in love later in life, but again, no basis. Just a fun thought. :p

It's possible that inter-species relationships are still taboo or shocking in Tyrian culture, though I'd wager Anet's stance on the matter is that they don't consider it immoral, they just didn't write any characters in such relationships into the world. Either that, or the lack of inter-species couples in the game is an attempt to avoid having to answer any awkward questions about the "mechanics" of such relationships.

why should interspecies relationships not be taboo? How would you guys react if someone you know is caught in the act with his/her dog? If someone was caught doing the naughty deeds with a cabbage?

For norn humans are more or less children. So.. what kind of norn would go after humans? Sylvari are plants. Cold, hard bodies plants. Eugh. Charr? Stinking cats, eating humans. Humans? Children! Or worse: mice! Asura? Just no.

The difference between what the thread is about and what your examples, is that of verbal consent and common communicative intellect levels. Your argument effectively parallels "why would a white person be in a relationship with a black person? How would you react if someone white you knew is caught in the act with a body pillow!" when you take into consideration the mental, cultural, and communicative differences.

As for humans being "more or less children" for norn, this is in no way true. Besides the fact norn children are indeed shorter than most grown humans, there's a very obvious maturity appearance difference. Not to mention the difference in mental development, which is most important to people in general. Suffice it to say, no one will consider this:

Henna.jpg

to be the same as this:

Amanda.jpg

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:why should interspecies relationships not be taboo? How would you guys react if someone you know is caught in the act with his/her dog? If someone was caught doing the naughty deeds with a cabbage?

For norn humans are more or less children. So.. what kind of norn would go after humans? Sylvari are plants. Cold, hard bodies plants. Eugh. Charr? Stinking cats, eating humans. Humans? Children! Or worse: mice! Asura? Just no.

Comparing a Charr or Sylvari to a Cat or Cabbage seems a bit... racist. Though these are fantasy races so what should I care. Overall, they're still thinking individuals, and as such they fit the Jack Harkness Rules of Romance.

Each society's view on romance is probably different;

-Asura view everyone as inferiors, so would have the biggest nope-factor on cross-species relationships.

-Humans, being the elves of the setting, would probably view cross-species relationships negatively. But then again, they are human, and humans are known to sleep with anything.

-Who knows how Charr would react to a cross-species relationship. While I doubt the government would care or interact with such issues, I could see individual Charr being upset with it and threatening violence against those who indulge in it. Especially if the person in question is human.

-Norn might be okay with anything. While they have a fairly conservative society, they're also carousing drunkards and seem to get along with almost every race. It would make for an interesting story at the least.

-Sylvari don't care. Life's an adventure, and romance is a road you can take.

-As for lesser-races, who knows. A Quaggan could fall in love with a Choya for all I'd know.

Also, as a side note: why do you assume that sylvari would be cold plant people? They bleed just as much as anyone else, and nothing has been noted on their body temperature.

actually, it has been noted that sylvari have no pulse and no 'blood' pressure. They are cold 'blooded' - 'no animals warmth to their flesh' - and they don't bleed. They sap.

People have enough trouble accepting if someone is dating outside of their social class, their village, their race. Do you really think that humans would be tolerant of someone going across the species boundary?

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

People have enough trouble accepting if someone is dating outside of their social class, their village, their race. Do you really think that humans would be tolerant of someone going across the species boundary?

That depends entirely on what people you know. I've encountered an entire community that would jump in bed with a charr in a heartbeat if they were real, and I've encountered an entire community who all swear they wouldn't even go on a second date with someone who wasn't bilingual in the same two languages they are.

There are too many kinds of people for 'people' as a whole to have trouble accepting anything.

EDIT: That said, in Tyria? Charr/human wouldn't be safe for either of the parties, with the bad blood there. Asura/anything else would almost certainly ostracize the asura from their peers, or possibly result in incarceration, given how Rata Sum's legal code operates. Charr/sylvari or charr/asura would probably get the charr a lot of gruff too, although I don't know if any action would be taken there.

Other than that, I think it'd just be weird, with all the gossiping that entails, but I wouldn't expect widespread, overt hostility to sylvari/human, or charr/norn. And, given GW1, where one of the norn's greatest heroes (or his daughter) can try their best to marry your character, norn/human may be a thing.

That's all given the PC home cities, though. Ebonhawke and Amnoon would probably be more leery of interspecies romance, due to their relative isolation, whereas in Lion's Arch, where a racial melting pot meets lenient-at-the-strictest morality, any of these pairings might not be worth a second look.

@Konig Des Todes.2086

Actually the notion that Norn view humans as children could be true, but not in the way you’d think. Lore-wise humans are frail and fragile in comparison Norns so they would indeed have to handle them with “kiddy gloves on” so to speak.

It is like in Star Trek where Worf, who is a Klingon (which likewise are way stronger than humans) having grown up amongst humans doesn’t allow himself to enter a relationship with another crew member because as a kid he accidentally killed another kid with a tackle during a sports game.

So while I don’t agree that such relationships would be taboo, I could definitely see individual Norns being apprehensive about relationships with non-Norns out of such concerns.

Sylvari wear their hearts on their sleeves, and their emotions are exaggerated and dramatic... like an entire race of soap opera stars. From what we've seen, they tend to prefer other Sylvari because of their natural empathy, but can and do fall in love with anyone (or anything). Outside of the Sylvari, there is very little romance of any kind in the game, let alone "uncommon" love.

Norn very much do respect and admire Humans who have impressive reputations. There was a major quest line in GW1 where either Olaf or his daughter Olrun (depending on gender) not only considers the PC as a potential mate, but behaves as though the two of you were already married and living together. Only the player was at all concerned that such a relationship might not be... "practical". It stands to reason a Norn might compete and create relationships with members of other races in similar fashion. Though, according to GW1 Wiki, it was stated in an interview that Norn cannot interbreed with Humans. (Unfortunately, the interviewer's blog page no longer exists.)

Asura are more than a little xenophobic when it comes to any relationships, not just romantic ones. They do, however, respect and admire anyone with sufficient intelligence and creativity, something like Taimi's obsession with Scarlet, and her subsequent fascination with the Commander.

Charr don't believe in "romance" or "love", per se... but are tsundere as kitten. From what I can tell, they aren't attracted to any other race in any way outside of a healthy respect for authoritative personalities. We can sort-of see this in Rox's interactions with the Commander and Braham, compared to her interactions with Rytlock, as well as Rytlock's attitude towards Eir. (Ironically, some of the most romantic GW2 stories come from the Charr, such as that of Via and Feros, or the similar implied relationship between Snarl and Galina.)

Ironically a Norn would have a higher chance to be able to breed with Asura and Charr than humans due to the latter not being native to the planet. Space aliens. I mean, they can’t with Asura or Charr either but it is even more certain that they can’t with humans. If that makes any sense.

More disturbing though, Norns could very well be able to breed with Jotun if the legend about their common heritage ends up being true. I guess that in their current degenerate state Jotun might have their genetics ruined to the point where it is no longer possible, but pre-Fall Jotun and Norn might’ve been compatible? :relaxed:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Ironically a Norn would have a higher chance to be able to breed with Asura and Charr than humans due to the latter not being native to the planet. Space aliens. I mean, they can’t with Asura or Charr either but it is even more certain that they can’t with humans. If that makes any sense.

More disturbing though, Norns could very well be able to breed with Jotun if the legend about their common heritage ends up being true. I guess that in their current degenerate state Jotun might have their genetics ruined to the point where it is no longer possible, but pre-Fall Jotun and Norn might’ve been compatible? :relaxed:

I dunno. The size difference there is even more extreme than the difference between human and norn. At least a human comes up to a norn's chest (with the in-game scaling, anyway); under the same scaling, a norn is, at best, stomach-high on a jotun.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Ironically a Norn would have a higher chance to be able to breed with Asura and Charr than humans due to the latter not being native to the planet. Space aliens. I mean, they can’t with Asura or Charr either but it is even more certain that they can’t with humans. If that makes any sense.

I dunno. The size difference there is even more extreme than the difference between human and norn. At least a human comes up to a norn's chest (with the in-game scaling, anyway); under the same scaling, a norn is, at best, stomach-high on a jotun.

... it is not about “size difference”.

It's true that human, charr, and asuran societies would frown upon or outright forbid interspecies relationships, and the average norn probably wouldn't find anyone other than a norn to be worth their time. However, it's with the people at the fringes of society, especially where races and cultures intermingle, where uncommon romances might occur. An asura living and working with a krewe around Rata Sum, probably wouldn't think twice about any asura below their level of intellect, let a lone a bookah. Meanwhile, the Asura who gives up on a life of research and academic prestige to become a merchant hawking wares in LA, plunder the seas as a pirate, or take up a life of fighting with the vigil, will probably be more open minded. Likewise, the high legions would never permit a charr under their command to get too friendly with a non-charr. It's the gladiums, the outcasts, the ones who leave charr society behind to join the orders or the lionguard who might find themselves bonding with others who left their people behind for one reason or another.

GW2 has always been pretty good about showing us such people at the fringes of society, the oddballs and outliers. Is there an asura who just likes to hit things with a sword? Yes there is. Are there sylvari who will shank you on the road for a handfull of silver? There sure are. Are there norn who give up on making a legend and settle down to be a traveling merchant? They're out there. The people keeping the status quo are out there too, but they're the ones who go about their lives in DR or Rata Sum, living in all those houses we can see, but never enter. It makes sense that the people we meet are the people who, like us, were driven for some reason or another, to leave home to go do interesting stuff.

Now, it's not that I think we need a confirmed pairing of every possible race and gender combination, or Queen Jennah to marry Caithe while Logan cries in Fort Trinity. It's just odd that among all the many NPC romances, there's not one (confirmed) relationship that crosses that boundary.

@Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:Now, it's not that I think we need a confirmed pairing of every possible race and gender combination, or Queen Jennah to marry Caithe while Logan cries in Fort Trinity. It's just odd that among all the many NPC romances, there's not one (confirmed) relationship that crosses that boundary.As I mentioned before, there is the one couple in the Domain of the Lost who are confirmed to be a couple, but because they are dead, it's a bit questionable as far as attitudes go. I mean, death really does change a person.

We've seen other strange pairings as well, like the charr cub and human child playing in Lion's Arch, or the progeny and kit who plot to steal the apples. Neither of these are romantic, I know, but it does show how the attitudes change, especially in the only multiracial city of Lion's Arch.

Finally, I just have to say how amusing I find the idea of Jennah running off with any sylvari, Caithe or otherwise. Something about her enjoying tossed salad...

@Scritch Yiffinton.1943 said:I just found out that cross breeding isn’t a thing in GW but cross relationships are a thing. My question is who are some of these couples. Does anyone know any names?

Not sure where you got this, but cross relationship is not a thing either...the only thing i can think off, is the event where you have a human trying to flirt with a Norn Vigil, and she turns into bear and you need to calm her down...theres even a Wolfborn Norn in Hoelbreak that talk to you(if PC is norn) about humans trying to flirt with her and how pathetic they are, and you PC also say something like that too, probably is normal thing for Humans to be attracted to Norn, but they sure dont have the same feeling...Norns respect strenght and the only way something like this could work is if the Human is trully legendary or something...but thats also not in the game(even if hinted that could happen on GW1).

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

That depends entirely on what people you know. I've encountered an entire community that would jump in bed with a charr in a heartbeat if they were real...

....really, people would jump in bed with a charr if they were real? i dont have words for that...jesus....

@"Svennis.3852" said:

@Felipe.1807 said:....really, people would jump in bed with a charr if they were real? i dont have words for that...jesus....

Never heard of furries, I take it? You are a lucky soul indeed.

i heard it, but thats just a bunch of bullshit...if they saw a Charr on real life they would probably run for their lives without giving a second though

Archived