valk fb in pvp eh?

Stand The Wall.6987

I tried to play FB power damage. It is serviceable, but it was weaker in both sustain and damage over core build. I could not get shattered aegis with FB. The problem is you have to drop valor (radiance/zeal/FB). If you drop radiance, the damage tanks big time. I tried not using radiance with power (or condi) builds without success. I have tried shatter aegis with radiance/zeal/valor. I had limited success with it.

I do play multiple variations of the core build though. I play GS/ sword & shield with radiance/zeal/valor. VoC is useless without virtues (and you lose a CC break), but the damage by GS is devastating. I played with radiance/valor/honor with GS/ sword & focus. It works. You get vigor, endurance reg and a bit more healing, through Writ of Persistence. It is a bit more susceptible to condi though.

Yesterday, I played radiance/valor/honor with GS and staff, and I had major success with it (I have not played ranked though). It offers support, sustain, but it is primarily damage build. I played mostly as AOE cleave with stacking symbols, using both Protector's Impact and and Writ of Persistence. Staff AA does a decent damage. The damage between 1.5-1.8K per hit.

I have not had success with mace in any damage build with guardian.

@otto.5684 said:I tried to play FB power damage. It is serviceable, but it was weaker in both sustain and damage over core build. I could not get shattered aegis with FB. The problem is you have to drop valor (radiance/zeal/FB). If you drop radiance, the damage tanks big time. I tried not using radiance with power (or condi) builds without success. I have tried shatter aegis with radiance/zeal/valor. I had limited success with it.

I do play multiple variations of the core build though. I play GS/ sword & shield with radiance/zeal/valor. VoC is useless without virtues (and you lose a CC break), but the damage by GS is devastating. I played with radiance/valor/honor with GS/ sword & focus. It works. You get vigor, endurance reg and a bit more healing, through Writ of Persistence. It is a bit more susceptible to condi though.

Yesterday, I played radiance/valor/honor with GS and staff, and I had major success with it (I have not played ranked though). It offers support, sustain, but it is primarily damage build. I played mostly as AOE cleave with stacking symbols, using both Protector's Impact and and Writ of Persistence. Staff AA does a decent damage. The damage between 1.5-1.8K per hit.

I have not had success with mace in any damage build with guardian.

The main problem is power FB has an inability to respond to burst compared to core or DH. Your powerful sustain skills are locked behind cast times which are locked behind a cast time meaning you have to rely on dodges/shelter to avoid a burst. FB works better as a bruiser/support, with a focus on dps since it has no burst, so something like the harrier's build rather than a bursty build with radiance. FB just doesn't lend itself to duels or roaming, only to 1v1 fights on point.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:anyone try this? I did with mace / shield, gs, and shattered aegis. feels kinda good. not great, but still.

Was that you I was fighting in Foefire on node 1v1? EU. I was playing Firebrand. At least there was someone playing a weird symbol guard build.no im na.@Darknicrofia.2604 said:no, valk really needs all 3 of radiance/valor/virtues to work along with instant cast virtues.

if you want to yolo as a power FB, play arkenbrand harrier's.ye I suspect youre right. shattered aegis and valk fb (justice tome and courage 2) did surprisingly decent damage tho.I would get 2.5k SA/ justice 1 spams, 4k courage 2s, and 8k mace 2s vs lights. plus the occasional 10k gs2 which always felt good lol.

Have been playing this with some success in platinum 1/2 EU:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAR8dnsADVDhFBDeDBkCjlBCzKAUtaT7N0HaG96a9mqAA-jpAaQA+9HAlBAA

You can achieve decent burst with F1, and it resets on kill which is handy. A core-hammer will burst harder on a single target, but, the advantage this has is the massive AoE covered by F1, in particular F1(4) and F1(1) spammed with quickness. You also still provide some group support, more in terms of boons/cleanses, not so much raw healing.

The key is that most opponents are not expecting it at all. Mesmers, spellbreakers, weavers, they all think they can easily kite a guardian and derp around at 600 range, and then they just don't know what to do when you're hitting them with 4k F1(1) every 0.5 seconds.

The only problem is you have no protection from being focused, and don't have many ways of dealing with +1 other than outputting so much damage that they have to back off.

Archived