Second Skin + Moa Stance stack 66% damage reduction? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Second Skin + Moa Stance stack 66% damage reduction?

Anyone tested if Second Skin + Moa Stance gives you 66% damage reduction ?

Comments

• ProtoMarcus.7649ProtoMarcus.7649 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2017

Moa Stance is 66% boon duration bonus, not damage reduction

Second Skin makes it so Protection reduces condition damage by 33% (because base effect of protection affects direct damage, not condition damage)

So from Moa Stance, you get Protection, which base reduces direct damage by 33% and with Second Skin, also reduces condi damage by same amount

Marcus Forrest - Celestial Soulbeast - Darkhaven

Soulbeast Feedback >> Dagger Skills / Beast Abilities / Stance Skills

• Dragonzhunter.8506Dragonzhunter.8506 Member ✭✭✭

@ProtoMarcus.7649 said:

I know somehow you corected in the end , but Moa Stance also gives you "Protection (3s): -33% Incoming Damage" ....

So, with trait "Protective Ward"+Moa Stance you get 66% Damage Reduction? and in the same time because of Second Skin you get another 33% Condi Damage Reduction ?

• ProtoMarcus.7649ProtoMarcus.7649 Member ✭✭✭

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@ProtoMarcus.7649 said:

I know somehow you corected in the end , but Moa Stance also gives you "Protection (3s): -33% Incoming Damage" ....

Protection base is direct
    Only traited (with Second Skin) does it cover condition

Edit: Protection is a general boon, not a moa stance-specific effect

• To clarify.

The SKILL Moa Stance gives you boons + the Moa Stance effect

The Moa Stance effect itself is only a "66% boon duration bonus" effect

The description of -33% damage is from the protection boon.

@ProtoMarcus.7649 said:

Yes, you right, but I made a build based on boon duration. In traits line I have Protective Ward ho gives me 7s 33% Damage Reduction ... In the same time in Moa Stance description said I get 5s 33%Damage Reduction, this means I will get 33% Damage Reduction for 7s+5s = 12 s ? (ofc when I get damage so Protective Ward activated)

• @Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@ProtoMarcus.7649 said:

Yes, you right, but I made a build based on boon duration. In traits line I have Protective Ward ho gives me 7s 33% Damage Reduction ... In the same time in Moa Stance description said I get 5s 33%Damage Reduction, this means I will get 33% Damage Reduction for 7s+5s = 12 s ? (ofc when I get damage so Protective Ward activated)

If you're asking about duration, yes it stacks, and it also benefits from the boon duration bonus of the stance effect if it's up when gaining the boons

But effectiveness stays at 33% damage reduction

• Also can be possible that condi damage reduction be 66% due to Protective Ward + Second Skin ? Because Protective Ward is a core trait and this one gives you -33%
    Incoming Damage this means power and condi, right?!

• Addendum

You can also play a PERMA protect Soulbeast if you run Fresh Reinforcement, We Heal as One and run the Nature Magic and Wilderness Survival Line and a Versatile pet (for extra 225 concentration when melded)

Not just protection either, swift, might, fury, regen, high quickness uptime

Just beware of boonstrip or boonhate!

Also can be possible that condi damage reduction be 66% due to Protective Ward + Second Skin ? Because Protective Ward is a core trait and this one gives you -33%
    Incoming Damage this means power and condi, right?!

Unfortunately no as again, the Core Protection effect (not traited with Second Skin) only affects direct/power damage, not Condition Damage

So without Second Skin, even with protection, you take full condition damage

@ProtoMarcus.7649 said:
    Unfortunately no as again, the Core Protection effect (not traited with Second Skin) only affects direct/power damage, not Condition Damage

Are you sure? Because is saying -33% Incoming damage ... and damage it's coming from power and condi. On all utility they specify when you don't take damage due the utility still you are susceptible of condi damage.

• You right again :) "Protection is a boon that reduces direct damage by 33%. It does not affect condition damage dealt by conditions or any other source of health loss such as falling damage"

• Also, be aware that damage reductions and modifiers stack multiplicatively, not by addition.

So, for instance; You are using food with 10% damage reduction, you have the Protection boon (-33% direct damage) on you and use the shout skill "Guard!" (-33% direct damage). At first you may think that is 10+33+33=76% damage reduction, but that is calculating additively not multiplicatively.

The damage reduction would be (1 - (0.66 x 0.66 x 0.9)) = 0.60796. This is a 60.8% damage reduction, not 76%

• @Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:
    The damage reduction would be (1 - (0.66 x 0.66 x 0.9)) = 0.60796. This is a 60.8% damage reduction, not 76%

Did you test this ? or Anet said this ?

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

Did you test this ? or Anet said this ?

Both.
    Also; https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage_calculation

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.