Which profession would suit me the best?

Shaozi.3271

Hello everyone,

I've been playing since the launch of Path of Fire. I have both expansions, but I stillcan't stick to a single class and I'm currently in create/delete class loop therefore I am not able tocommit all the way to 80 to figure out if I like the class or not. I've tried almost all classes invarious degrees ranging from level 5 to level 55. I was wondering if anyone could help me pick amain. Usually, I get bored of the class or another class suddenly starts looking more interesting,even though there is nothing wrong with my current class, there just isn't anything to hold meback from deleting it and picking another one.

Out of all the games I've played over the years, the most enjoyable combat was in Blade & Soul. I lovedthe fact that if you were skilled enough, you could solo even the hardest dungeon bosses(atleast in Korean version),because they've added enrage timers in the West, so you'd have to kill it in 5-10 mins or you're dead. Therefore,I don't mind even if the class is the hardest in the game to master. If I can't enjoy it, I won't master it anyway,no matter how easy it is.

What I like:Fast-paced combat.Getting close and personal when 1v1.Attacking from a distance when against more than 1 opponent or a boss.Combat animations.Viability in all game modes.High mobility.Ability to skip mobs in Open World exploration.

What I dislike:1v1 PvP.Damage soaking classes.Stationary classes.Cheese classes.Being viable only in a single game mode.

@Shaozi.3271 said:I don't mind even if the class is the hardest in the game to master. If I can't enjoy it, I won't master it anyway,no matter how easy it is.

Fast paced combat and high mobility are related with both the thief and the mesmer. Both professions have a higher skill ceiling than the more beginner friendly professions like the warrior, ranger and necromancer. Both professions have teleport abilities, giving them the highest mobility in the game; thief having the best solo mobility, whereas the mesmer has the best team mobility via portal.

Mesmer is the better 1v1 profession and has no problem fighting against most professions in 1v1 duels, but if you prefer to outnumber fights or +1 fights, then thief is the right profession for you. Imagine yourself as the lion who's hiding in the bushes, waiting for it's prey to get in a fight with another player only to then pop out and ambush the target that your ally was fighting. That is what is like to be a thief; moving around a lot and outnumbering fights.

When it comes to cheese professions, both thief and mesmer are guilty of this. Deadeye thieves aren't very liked in PvP especially if they're bad. Mesmer has been one of, if not the cheesiest profession in the history of GW2. It has a solid skill ceiling, but it's so easy to BS your way with the profession hence why there are a lot of cheese condi Mirages running with axe and/or pistol to stack a lot of torment and confusion. It's so rare for me to see good mesmers playing either power core/Mirage or Chronomancer who use Portal and when I see those type of mesmers, it makes me happy that they are willing to contribute to the team. To all the mesmers using Portal, you're the best mesmers in my eyes and true team players.

Up to lvl 55...then no, you have not tried a single class. only at 80 you get full view of core class, while there's a whole world of elite specializations post that.

That being said i would say ranger. He close to thief (which matches almost anything you said), but if you hate 1v1 then ranger has a pet. Thief doesn't.

Are you asking for pvp ir pve? You can solo most dungeons on any class, just that some of them have mechanics that need 3+ other people, crucible of eternity and citadel of flames come into mind. If you want fast paced, mele in-range out on demand, deadeye or dragon hunter come into mind. As for cheese, what do you define as cheese? 1 shotting from stealth, exploting mechanics/terrain flaws, an unkillable build?

@Hoodie.1045 said:It's so rare for me to see good mesmers playing either power core/Mirage or Chronomancer who use Portal and when I see those type of mesmers, it makes me happy that they are willing to contribute to the team. To all the mesmers using Portal, you're the best mesmers in my eyes and true team players.

Could you link some videos to show me those types of mesmers? :)

Either mesmer (mirage or core mesmer, chronomancer has soaking in a sense) or thief (daredevil or core thief), but take in account as said before: you are only testing core classes, at 80 you can get elite specializations that change how the classes are played.

A point with them its that you dislike 1vs1 pvp where they will not be to good for consistent melee.

@Shaozi.3271 said:

@"Hoodie.1045" said:It's so rare for me to see good mesmers playing either power core/Mirage or Chronomancer who use Portal and when I see those type of mesmers, it makes me happy that they are willing to contribute to the team. To all the mesmers using Portal, you're the best mesmers in my eyes and true team players.

Could you link some videos to show me those types of mesmers? :)

I was talking about mesmers who use portal in general to help both themselves and their teams traverse around maps quicker or to escape danger, but since you asked, here's a

of Helseth using portal (watch from 2:10 to 2:42).

@Sephylon.4938 said:Are you asking for pvp ir pve?Mostly PvE.

@Sephylon.4938 said:As for cheese, what do you define as cheese? 1 shotting from stealth, exploting mechanics/terrain flaws, an unkillable build?For example, perma-stealth and stabbing bosses from behind, which basically kills them without any resistance, because they're aggressive on sight.Essentially using 5 buttons to finish the game.

@Shaozi.3271 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:As for cheese, what do you define as cheese? 1 shotting from stealth, exploting mechanics/terrain flaws, an unkillable build?For example, perma-stealth and stabbing bosses from behind, which basically kills them without any resistance, because they're aggressive on sight.Essentially using 5 buttons to finish the game.

There are no bosses that you can kill with 1 skill in game. As for agro and such, all I can say is the ai of everything outside raids and fractals leave much to be desired. The 2 still have faulty ai, but not to the degree of dungeon ai. Most solo runs in gw2 dungeons take advantage of faulty ai scripts of bosses and encounters.

@Sephylon.4938 said:

There are no bosses that you can kill with 1 skill in game

Not unless it's bugged. (Like the Chaos storm 1-shot bug xD)

As someone who solos almost exclusively, I agree that the classes aren't unlocked until post 80. That being said:

Ranger then Soulbeast: Longbow and Greatsword all the way. You have good melee and solid ranged. Just remember to NEVER longbow 4 in a group. It's annoying.

Mesmer then Chronomancer then Mirage: Fantastic in all content except Heart of Thorns. I haven't solved the condition burst from Mordrem yet, but it's annoying that I can solo everything except HoT.

Necro then Reaper: Amazing melee with axe or dagger/warhorn for a close ranged option. I run minion master to solo all the things and rarely reach downstate.

Warrior then Spellbreaker: Solid melee, very tanky, with a minimal use of longbow as a ranged option.

Guardian then Dragon Hunter then Firebrand: Fun but glass since they have a low HP pool. I like them but, yeah... Not as survivable as "Guardian" implies solo.

Revenant then Herald: I wanted to like Renegade, but it wasn't as good as a Herald with hammer for ranged and melee options. The traits didn't synergize as well for solo play.

I wouldn't recommend Engineer for solo (way squishy despite Holosmith) and haven't tried to upgrade my Thief or Elementalist yet.

My current favorite is the Spellbreaker who can tank Condi and be in the thick of things. Greatsword 3 to escape surrounds; mace and shield for hard CC vs. break bars.

Wasnt there an item in the shared inventory slot that gets u on lvl 80 and allows you to play in the silverwastes ? I still got mine cause i dont need it and didnt delete it yet.

almost every class has melee and ranged dmg opportunities ( Thief, Rev, Ranger, Guard, Engi, Necro). Mesmer is a bit special caused by it's mixed functionality.Since you dont like PvP (1v1) you should watch WvW/Raid/Fractal -streams and you will get an idea of some classes.

DMG-Eating classes are: Guards, necros, warriors.Best Group support: Mesmer, Rev, GuardBest single target dmg: Thief, Rev, GS-Mesmer, Hammer-Guard, SoulbeastBest aoe dmg: Staff-Ele, NecroMost Interessting kit: EngiBest mobility: Thief, Mesmer, Rev (Engi with rocket-boots).

Difficulty/Cheesey to master: Mesmer, Rev, Engi, Thief, ... .

" Skip mobs in open world" ... well then you should play a class with access to stealth (Thief, mesmer, Ranger, Engi). There is actually no class, that covers everything u mentioned in your start post.

--> Take Ranger it's not the best in WvW but you have lot of options with pets in pve, you have mobility with staff/gs-leap and sword aswell as stealth via pet or Druid spec.

Archived