What makes a person a nobel?

Artyport.2084

@Artyport.2084 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:Any of the three, really.

1) Born into a noble bloodline is a given.2) If you’re rich (thus powerful and influential) you can pretty much found your own noble house. All noble families have to start somewhere.3) The Queen can basically dub you a noble, yes.

what constitues a nobel blood line?

See point 2 and 3.

Edit: There is also the political system where ministers and the like being nobles. However, I’m not sure that means that only nobles are allowed to become politicians or if politicians become nobles by default as part of their position...

@Oglaf.1074 said:

1) Born into a noble bloodline is a given.2) If you’re rich (thus powerful and influential) you can pretty much found your own noble house. All noble families have to start somewhere.3) The Queen can basically dub you a noble, yes.

See point 2 and 3.

Edit: There is also the political system where ministers and the like being nobles. However, I’m not sure that means that only nobles are allowed to become politicians or if politicians become nobles by default as part of their position...

ok.. i guess i was curious to weather these characters were descendants of specific people.like rurik ?or gwen?lady althea?

@Artyport.2084 said:

See point 2 and 3.

ok.. i guess i was curious to weather these characters were descendants of specific people.like rurik ?or gwen?lady althea?

I’m not sure we know what happened to their bloodlines in between the two games.

But I’m not really a human person. Someone more interested/well-versed in their lore might know.

@Artyport.2084 said:

See point 2 and 3.

Nobody is a descendant of either Rurik or Lady Althea. See GW1:Prophecies for why, or open the spoiler box.

! Dead people can't have children. Rurik and Lady Althea both died before they could have children.

Logan Thackeray is descended (in all likelihood, although I'll admit that I haven't gone looking for in-game lore hints) from Gwen.

There are probably others, but in general, noble families got to be that way because back in the day, one of their ancestors was significantly helpful to the monarch, and was given a noble title as a sort of reward. That's as true of our world as it is of Tyria. The first monarchs were, ultimately, the heads of clans or tribes that won battles and wars against their neighbours and became a sort of overlord ruling a progressively larger area.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Neither/nor. Anyone, officially, can become a minister. Unofficially, just about every minister just so happens to also be a noble, probably because nobles already occupy the prominent leadership positions in a given community and because they're the ones with enough wealth to gallivant off to the Ministry and waste their time there.@Artyport.2084 said:

ok.. i guess i was curious to weather these characters were descendants of specific people.Mm... maybe? As mentioned above, the monarch can raise people to nobility, and their descendants would then be nobles. (I don't know if buying a title is actually a thing in Tyria, though.) Other than that... there is a brief mention that the nobility as a whole can 'trace their ancestry back to ancient kings,' but it's unclear whether that means that the original noble houses sprung up from the royal children who didn't inherit the throne, or if it just means that after a thousand years the nobles have intermarried with the royal family enough that just about everyone's connected to it somehow.or gwen?Gwen wasn't a noble. Logan isn't either, for that matter; that's the whole cause of the friction in his relationship with Jennah.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

See point 2 and 3.

Not all ministers are nobles/upper class, some are indeed lower/mid class, so as to represent the needs of said lower/middle class citizens. Though most ministers do seem to be of nobility.

Well, to be a nobel you have to win the prize first. From Physics, Chemistry, Economics or peace endeavors, etc. It's really hard though, they only hand those out once a year, mostly 1 prize per person but sometimes 2 people share the prize! Sucks to share the money.

Oh, you mean noble, right?Nobility is defined by blood. You are born into it mostly.

2 and 3 may result in you being dubbed a noble. Or in the real world, men were knighted, usually as a result of either prowess, relations or wealth which later evolved into the concept of nobility. At some point, the titles became hereditary and so noble houses were born.

@Artyport.2084 said:Genetics?A lot of money?Relations to the queen?From real life:

Nobility are the higher end class of society that are usually tasked with the more intelligent operations of keeping a society running. So they end up managing things and generally put in more effort than the working class. The working class in comparison worked only a few hours a day to sustain themselves. So yes, due to the intelligence requirement and the mental endurance requirements, those born into nobility have a higher chance to have the required properties to stay noble.

Money follows from what they do, it is not that they have it already since they would just lose it if managed incorrectly.

In old times leaders were far more accessible to the populace than they are now. A king was king because the people he commanded respected him. If they didn't, he would be dead. So no, not necessarily determining for whether a person was a noble or not.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

Neither/nor. Anyone, officially, can become a minister. Unofficially, just about every minister just so happens to also be a noble, probably because nobles already occupy the prominent leadership positions in a given community and because they're the ones with enough wealth to gallivant off to the Ministry and waste their time there.@Artyport.2084 said:

ok.. i guess i was curious to weather these characters were descendants of specific people.Mm... maybe? As mentioned above, the monarch can raise people to nobility, and their descendants would then be nobles. (I don't know if buying a title is actually a thing in Tyria, though.) Other than that... there is a brief mention that the nobility as a whole can 'trace their ancestry back to ancient kings,' but it's unclear whether that means that the original noble houses sprung up from the royal children who didn't inherit the throne, or if it just means that after a thousand years the nobles have intermarried with the royal family enough that just about everyone's connected to it somehow.or gwen?Gwen wasn't a noble. Logan isn't either, for that matter; that's the whole cause of the friction in his relationship with Jennah.

By the very armor he wears, you can tell that Logan is (or should be) a noble. Armors of that class are not cheap and the common soldiery had cheaper armor that they were running around with.

@reaVer.4056 said:

By the very armor he wears, you can tell that Logan is (or should be) a noble. Armors of that class are not cheap and the common soldiery had cheaper armor that they were running around with.

Actually logan is wearing an armor fitting his rank as higher up in the seraphFrom whats hinted in the DE novel He is not necessarily noble but worked Hard and that work (as hero) paid off in gaining him ranks

@reaVer.4056 said:By the very armor he wears, you can tell that Logan is (or should be) a noble. Armors of that class are not cheap and the common soldiery had cheaper armor that they were running around with.

It's pretty keenly established that he's a mere commoner. His armor is that of a Captain of the Seraph, the highest rank within the Seraph military, which he gained due to his abilities not his lineage.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@reaVer.4056 said:By the very armor he wears, you can tell that Logan is (or should be) a noble. Armors of that class are not cheap and the common soldiery had cheaper armor that they were running around with.

It's pretty keenly established that he's a mere commoner. His armor is that of a Captain of the Seraph, the highest rank within the Seraph military, which he gained due to his abilities not his lineage.

Generally when someone does heroic deeds he gets knighted. That makes him a noble.

@reaVer.4056 said:

Generally when someone does heroic deeds he gets knighted. That makes him a noble.

And still its not necessaryU like him getting knighted so He got for u. And thats okBut its not stated anywhere only that He is indeed captain of the seraph and wearing the armor of a seraph captain

@"reaVer.4056" said:By the very armor he wears, you can tell that Logan is (or should be) a noble. Armors of that class are not cheap and the common soldiery had cheaper armor that they were running around with.Kryta doesn't work that way. The Krytan and Ebonhawke militaries seem to operate on a principle of "if you earn the rank, you get the gear that accompanies the station." The Seraph is likely a mix of nobles and commoners. Baroness Jasmina claims that her mother was a Seraph Captain, though we do not know if her mother was always nobility, elevated into nobility for her service, or married into nobility.

We also don't know the affordability of armors in Tyria. In Medieval Europe? Sure. But in Tyria, the charr are able to muster enough refined metalls to make large scale tanks, towns, and such. Metals for armor may not be that comparatively expensive, and asura and dredge mining techniques (and golems) may make needed ores fairly cheap.

Furthermore, we know Logan is not a noble. This is made clear in the "relationship" between him and Queen Jennah. Though there were certainly opportunities in the two hundred years of Ebonhawke and Kryta for the Thackery gens to be raised into the nobility, that apparently had not happened by the time of Logan and Dylan. He spent a lot of his combat experience as a mercenary, a scout-for-hire, working with the Ebon Vanguard. But Logan managed to impress Queen Jennah fighting in the arena at Lion's Arch. He won acclaim through defeating a few dragon champions and defending Queen Jennah at Ebonhawke. In the years between Kraalkatorik's awakening and the start of Guild Wars 2, Logan rose to the first among equals of the Seraph Captains.

@"Artyport.2084" said:what constitues a nobel blood line?First it's important to establish what constitutes a royal bloodline, as most noble bloodlines are defined by their proximity to royal ones. All Ascalonian, Krytan, and Orrian royal bloodlines trace their lineages to King Doric of Orr, who ruled over the united human kingdoms that would comprise these three territories of Tyria, though each at various stages of territorial scope and development.

Nobility is generally composed of cadet royal lines, non-familial vassals, and raised nobles. Over multiple generations, these lines tend to intermingle as nobles attempt to "strengthen" their bloodline ties to royals and other nobles through strategic marriages. As such, most nobility will likely variously trace their lineages to King Doric as well, as the more blood ties they have to the lineage of Doric, the more claim they could make on the Krytan throne, estates, and other privileges.

@reaVer.4056 said:

It should be noted that there is no "knighting" ever seen in Guild Wars, let alone Kryta. Nothing that seems to relate to the medieval knights (both perceived and actual) for that matter, though we do have a few Orrian and Ascalonian "Squire" NPCs, but no lore as to their role in life.

@"reaVer.4056" said:Thinking about it, Logan probably hasn't been knighted because he's been friendzoned; He just doesn't know it yet... :p

Even ignoring my post about the complete apparent lack of knighthood in modern Tyria, Queen Jennah explicitly states in the PS that she loves Logan (I have enough servants—I want a partner. Logan must be free to make his own decisions. I made such a mistake once before. I won't make it again.), you'll get that dialogue after killing Kellach so long as you didn't join the Order of Whispers (as Jennah is not present in that instance).

Though This apparently got retconned in Season 3 to "she never loved him and everyone but Logan knew this". Though at the end of Season 3, Logan accepts (the retcon) that Jennah doesn't care about him.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Though This apparently got retconned in Season 3 to "she never loved him and everyone but Logan knew this". Though at the end of Season 3, Logan accepts (the retcon) that Jennah doesn't care about him.

I thought that was a strategic misdirection on her part... she needed him to move on and get a life, so he could become the sort of person who could be accepted as her... consort, I guess?

@perilisk.1874 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:Though This apparently got retconned in Season 3 to "she never loved him and everyone but Logan knew this". Though at the end of Season 3, Logan accepts (the retcon) that Jennah doesn't care about him.

I thought that was a strategic misdirection on her part... she needed him to move on and get a life, so he could become the sort of person who could be accepted as her... consort, I guess?

If it weren't for all the thousands of other dialogue effectively saying "Jennah never liked him, Logan is so pathetic for not realizing it" from Estrella, the Ladies in Waiting, etc. etc., that might sound plausible. But tbh, I think it was more that they forgot they had already established her feelings and decided to change directions.

There are few things to note about concept of nobility in general. First, conditions for status of nobility vary from century to century and from country to country. Second, nobility isn't one homogenous category, nobility had stratification inside itself. For example counts were a world apart from knights or petty county estate holders.Concept of european nobility has roots in germanic military aristocracy. Essentially, you do something for "chief" and you get awarded with land and some governmental rights upon it. This was later mixed with late roman ownership of estate with serfs and that's how you get european feudalism (including the nobility).

Bloodline could play a part in it if title/lands/rights were hereditary, which they need not always be. For example there were titles which were counted among highest nobles in the realm but were not hereditary. Those were usually part monarch's apparatus and they usually changed if monarch wished so or if simply new monarch came to throne. Note, monarchs had a right to give out lands and titles, so monarchs would often create new nobility loyal to them if they believed old nobility presented a problem. So, no bloodline is not a necessary element, but possible one.

We cant really tell for certain what is condition in Kryta to be given status of a noble but its safe to assume that it is doing something of great importance for the Queen. That is simply because Kryta seems to have strong monarchical elements with very few parliamentary elements in its governance (Current political strenght of Ministry is anomaly due to regency)

So, to answer your question, it can be all that you have mentioned, or it can be something completely different.

what makes a bloodline noble is successfully doing a feat or test sanctioned by the constituents. successfully doing those will earn the prospective nobles respect and they will be treated as royals. and that kingdom/society is modeled on the anatomy of a man/woman, which has 1 head/a pair of heads(king/queen). (a) well respected noble(s), line in return, must treat its constituents justly, fairly and sincerely take care of them, coz a head without body is a dead head.

Archived