Why I Think The Aura Change Is Fine

Noble.2670

I just wanted to give my two cents on the recent aura changes and the suggestions floating about the forum regarding them.

Firstly I see a lot of people suggesting that the aura’s should detonate automatically once the aura has finished, but I disagree.

If This suggestion was to be put in place you remove the reactive use of the detonation, for example multiple times yesterday I detonated my shocking aura early to interrupt stomps/certain skills, and that’s only two examples of the uses of early detonation. if you make it automatically detonate at the end of the aura, you remove a level of skill and introduce a more passive play style and lower the skip cap, which I don’t believe is needed, we should be rewarded for timing skills correctly and responsively.

I also see a lot of ele’s saying this would solve the issue of the extra micromanage, is that really a issue tho?!..that’s what I love about ele! I love the micromanagement! Playing Ele feels like playing motzart on my keyboard, and playing other professions in comparison feels like playing twinkle twinkle little star, and I know this is the reason ele appeals to so many people as well as myself, So I welcome the extra micromanagement!

The second suggestion I have seen multiple times is to make it a F5 skill, but I am not so sure.

I think the issue here is that people are viewing this as a profession mechanic and not just another weapon mechanic, now what arena net intended it to be I am not sure, but with how it currently works it is most defiantly a weapon mechanic, and in that sense a F5 skill just makes no sense, I also think a F5 skill is best used for another elite spec, and not simply used to detonate aura’s.

So, they’re the reasons I disagree with the current suggestions on this forum, however I do have a couple of suggestions of my own.

I would increase the range of the aura’s to 300 to better match the range of the weapon skills they are used on, allowing for better combo usage with other skills.

I would also remove the cast time and make it instant remove the clunkiness and keep the fluid play style ele embodies, and also to allow them to be used in a more reactive way

The aura change/improvement is nice to have, but it feels not well thought through and does not address the real issues ele has. It is a minor buff.

Interesting enough though, what about sword, warhorn, scepter and staff lacking aura skills? The only current weapon sets having access to two of them are d/d and d/f. It's okay if you want to promote these two, but again, there is much more needed to make these actually viable (or push ele as a whole).

I think that people are just making big deal out of it because it's a new mechanic (myself included). Since demo weekends we were complaining about 4 sec global attunement cd on weaver and it turned out fine. While unravel does seem like useless skill for an utility, F5 unravel is certainly not needed because it would make a lot of builds quite strong for nothing, especially in pve. Now we have aura detonation - it's not a class mechanic, just weapon skill improvement, it doesnt need specific F skill.

Let's not forget that ele "rework" is coming in a few patches most likely (that concern thread certainly wouldn't appear out of nowhere - I know that players have been complaining about state of ele, but you cant fix ele in just a regular balance patch, it has to be some kind of rework like herald's in last patch or malice/phantasms). Only fire spec got trait for aura detonation so it's most likely just a test, an intro for that "rework".

Aura interaction is a good change, but it's certainly not complete. Let's test new changes more and wait for complete aura overhaul before we start complaining about them.

Hi Noble, you are right!In fact F5 should be saved for something "more important» than Aura Detonation.--> For example, as many people already made suggestion, i would like to see an F5 'Unravel' to let more fluidity into Weaver.

Moreover, Aura Detonation should be instant cast to prevent "ele clunky gameplay". Range also could be improved so we increase the impact in team fights.

Drunk or not absolutely agree with Noble.2670 . We are already keyboard monkeys and extra F5 would made more mess. Definitely skill radius is in my opinion the biggest problem - we shouldn't hug people in one-shot meta in pvp right now and definitely we shouldn't hug people on things such glassy....like everything basically ele related after riptide evade combo nerf.

I dont mind them saying on the weapons but they got to look into making sure all of ele weapons has an aura with a flip effect. Maybe even adding in an aura skill / flip to the conja weapons.

For sure if this is the path forward at least scepter needs an aura with a flip i would not mind seeing WH and sword get one as well but its not comply needed.

If they do intend to add in an F5 it for added aura effects it going to be core ele only more then likely keep that in mind when asking for an F5.

@Noble.2670 said:I just wanted to give my two cents on the recent aura changes and the suggestions floating about the forum regarding them.

Firstly I see a lot of people suggesting that the aura’s should detonate automatically once the aura has finished, but I disagree.

If This suggestion was to be put in place you remove the reactive use of the detonation, for example multiple times yesterday I detonated my shocking aura early to interrupt stomps/certain skills, and that’s only two examples of the uses of early detonation. if you make it automatically detonate at the end of the aura, you remove a level of skill and introduce a more passive play style and lower the skip cap, which I don’t believe is needed, we should be rewarded for timing skills correctly and responsively.

I also see a lot of ele’s saying this would solve the issue of the extra micromanage, is that really a issue tho?!..that’s what I love about ele! I love the micromanagement! Playing Ele feels like playing motzart on my keyboard, and playing other professions in comparison feels like playing twinkle twinkle little star, and I know this is the reason ele appeals to so many people as well as myself, So I welcome the extra micromanagement!

The second suggestion I have seen multiple times is to make it a F5 skill, but I am not so sure.

I think the issue here is that people are viewing this as a profession mechanic and not just another weapon mechanic, now what arena net intended it to be I am not sure, but with how it currently works it is most defiantly a weapon mechanic, and in that sense a F5 skill just makes no sense, I also think a F5 skill is best used for another elite spec, and not simply used to detonate aura’s.

So, they’re the reasons I disagree with the current suggestions on this forum, however I do have a couple of suggestions of my own.

I would increase the range of the aura’s to 300 to better match the range of the weapon skills they are used on, allowing for better combo usage with other skills.

I would also remove the cast time and make it instant remove the clunkiness and keep the fluid play style ele embodies, and also to allow them to be used in a more reactive way

Agreed, particularly with what I bolded, which is why I have a hard time even playing core over Weaver.

What I see in the changes is even more reason to use Unravel to quickly access your auras/detonates situationally. I just wish so badly Unravel wasn't a utility. I'd still lobby for it as an F5, or even an elite.

@Megametzler.5729 said:The aura change/improvement is nice to have, but it feels not well thought through and does not address the real issues ele has. It is a minor buff.

Interesting enough though, what about sword, warhorn, scepter and staff lacking aura skills? The only current weapon sets having access to two of them are d/d and d/f. It's okay if you want to promote these two, but again, there is much more needed to make these actually viable (or push ele as a whole).

I thought the staff had an aura .... um an earth element one? Am I remembering it wrong? At any rate, I intend to give the aura thing a try. I am thinking of running a dagger/dagger build so that I can get at least two to play with (Air and Water). I wanted to try fire but ...... I ... I can't just do focus. It's a weapon that doesn't work for me on any profession, even if it is good. I don't know ....

Personally, I think this is laying down the foundation for a possible Elite spec. Doing a bit of light playtesting with it to gauge if developing the concept further would be worthwhile. As it stands it could easily be dropped or ignored. But if it works or becomes popular then it could easily be developed into an Elite spec. I think the Elite spec idea would solve many of concerns about the lack of weapons as they could easily create a weapon that had auras for all elements. I imagine a two-handed weapon would be their choice so as not to double dip with Fire and Water. Personally ..... longbow with auras of doom sounds fun to me. Though I suppose greatsword could work .....

At any rate, I intend to try out the aura thing tonight. I need to grind out some exp for Masteries in HoT anyway.

@Dace.8173 said:

@Megametzler.5729 said:The aura change/improvement is nice to have, but it feels not well thought through and does not address the real issues ele has. It is a minor buff.

I thought the staff had an aura .... um an earth element one? Am I remembering it wrong?(...)

You are right. Staff has only one aura. Sword build also only can have one. FA? Only one. Scepter/warhorn - however weird it might be - has none. So they profit less from these changes than d/d and d/f builds. :wink:

@Megametzler.5729 said:

I thought the staff had an aura .... um an earth element one? Am I remembering it wrong?(...)

You are right. Staff has only one aura. Sword build also only can have one. FA? Only one. Scepter/warhorn - however weird it might be - has none. So they profit less from these changes than d/d and d/f builds. :wink:

Coincidentally, some of us have been begging for dagger builds to have a 'place' again. In one patch we get some very nice damage buffs to dagger and the auras. I really don't want to give up Primordial Stance or Twist of Fate and I'd probably implode if I gave up Blink, but I really see potential for Unravel usage here to get full attunes to make use of auras and the change to Magnetic Leap.

@Tinnel.4369 said:

Coincidentally, some of us have been begging for dagger builds to have a 'place' again. In one patch we get some very nice damage buffs to dagger and the auras. (...)

That's what I said...

@Megametzler.5729 said:(...) It's okay if you want to promote these two, but again, there is much more needed to make these actually viable (or push ele as a whole).

Dude, that's what I was saying. It was a buff, yes, the mechanic might need to be improved (instant cast, F5 or whatever). But it did not address any of the real problems ele has...

... except kinda the water dependancy. Instead it makes focus the go-to cleansing weapon... again a high dependancy, but at least we have 2 strict cleansing options now.

The skills involved are:

Shocking aura : dagger main hand air 3Forst aura : dagger offhand water 4Fire aura : fire 4 focus offhandMagnetic aura : staff earth 4

The way it works is :1) You use the skill to get the aura (nothing changed here)2) You can choose if you want to detonate the aura or not (by clicking the skill again)

Basically , with tempest you can apply for example frost aura with "Flash Freeze" and swap to water and immediately detonate the frost aura thanks to the number 4 skill on dagger offhand. Works with any source of auras as long as the aura coincide with the skill.

But , when I see most of the recent changes on any classes, It feels like they try to change all the "two-part" skills. EXAMPLE: dagger mainhand earth 3 is now only a leap ... no more projectile.

Then in that scheme ... why not reverse the way aura skills work? Make them detonate and then get the aura. One button press ... easier to use and less things to think and be carefull of. PLUS ... no skill lag and double tap that instant detonate.

Hear me ! I like they changed it . Just shouting a weird feeling I got =D

Archived