The real power creep

Eleazar.9478

Hello, Ive been playing gw2 pretty much sense launch (with breaks), and mainly PVP, and wvw. Im consistently in plat average about 100-130 games a season and usually fall in the 1500-1650 bracket and (silver rank in wvw not that rank matters just that I've played it alot) I say all this only so speak with a small bit of knowledge about the game and my this post is personal experiences with it.

I think the real isssue with PVP/WVW is not that X skill does too much or too little, damage or bunker vs damage metas; it's that skills have way too many effects and are on too low of cooldowns. I think this heart of why gw2 pvp just is hard to watch hard to get into and causes so much negativity.

There's way too many skills that do everything , they'll stunbreak/cleanse/heal and do damage and soft cc and be on a low CD. This causes this messy hard to undertsand combat and even harder to understand what mistakes were made and how to counter play.

Look at all the great pvp games from any genre,abilities have clear roles and can only be used for a specific purpose in which defines roles and niches.Hell a great example is how active dark souls 3 pvp community is and that game has no more support, but people love it because it feels good and is pretty clear when you mess up. Its easy to watch and people can learn and understand what is going on. (now back to gw2) It doesn't feel good in pvp when you blink and you have every effect on you in the game and need a spread sheet to understand all the different effects that got applied to you or no matter what you do X class/build just can just run around in circles negating everything. Or you dodge a string of attacks just to get hit all over again. This makes so hard for newer pvpers or wvwers to truly understand what hell is going on. Lol I've pretty much stopped wvw cause the combat feels eww in anything more than five people.

On a side note, I love how so many people constantly complain that it was better in the "old days" Id say that because 2012 gw2 had alot higher cds and skills had way less effects. (Lol remember when blasting might was a thing)Its not all doom and gloom alot has been better i think balance (talking pure balance) wise its alot better all classes have multiple builds they can run in almost every game mode. I just think its this weird spammy messy effects-heavy combat that's just with every year hurting the pvp/wvw.I wish they increase utility, self heals and elite skill CDS to nothing under 40CD and sure make skills and such powerful but have maybe 1 or 2 effects so you are forced to think and can actually see whats going in fights. Really the only skill people should be able to spam should be their auto.

Every other game I play now just seems more refreshing easier on the eyes and clearer. Hell games that are "hard" seem easy for me because I can see and understand what the f is going on, gw2 just remains a mess. Its gunna leak players no amount of rewards and such are added. untill they make the combat clearer and work from there (im not really talking about skill effects i think its theyre too spammy its one thing when you see 1 or 2 for a few seconds its another when its everywhere all the time) And I brought up dark souls 3 simply cause that pvp scene is still hella active and its not even supported out side of servers it just shows when you have a clear combat system people will play it just for fun and it will stay active.

It's mindless/marco-ed mush most of the time, the only time peeps get to be skillful (or rather think) is 1v1 on a point, otherwise you just hope for good company.

I doubt Anet are remotely concerned, pvp is not a selling point of GW2, there is no money in it and thus little talent is resourced to it - every quarter an intern gets to throw their spanner into the pot then moves on to do a bit of wallpapering.

@lilypop.7819 said:It's mindless/marco-ed mush most of the time, the only time peeps get to be skillful (or rather think) is 1v1 on a point, otherwise you just hope for good company.

I doubt Anet are remotely concerned, pvp is not a selling point of GW2, there is no money in it and thus little talent is resourced to it - every quarter an intern gets to throw their spanner into the pot then moves on to do a bit of wallpapering.

That's also not true because PvP has gotten the most updates in the past two years than it ever has

Really? So they have lots of interns - was joking by the way.

I have been playing for six years and I have never noticed any progression towards balance in PvP. There may well have been many changes but the progression has been towards mudifaction of professions (driven by PvE), hence the mush and the pixel vomit - or if you want to be kind 'effects-heavy combat'.

@lilypop.7819 said:Really? So they have lots of interns - was joking by the way.

I have been playing for six years and I have never noticed any progression towards balance in PvP. There may well have been many changes but the progression has been towards mudifaction of professions (driven by PvE), hence the mush and the pixel vomit - or if you want to be kind 'effects-heavy combat'.

No progression?

What about the petting zoo? They stopped spirits following and all.The Thief Pewpews with Ricochet and how they absolutely destroyed Mesmers or anyone grouped up?Diamond Skin was removed because Necro ran rapid amulet and complained that they couldn't even get 10% of the Elementalists health downWhat about Hambows?What about the turret knockback era?What about the Mesmer Bunker era?What about Celestial ElementalistsWhat about Celestial Amulet?What about all the Amulets we used to have such as soldier and settlers?What about all the different skill splits?

I could literally go on all day but the point is not all changes were PvE specific.

@Eleazar.9478 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:The higher DPS gets, the more skill that is required. Appreciate the power creep.

You didn't read the post did you? You saw power creep and got triggered huh?

most if not all PvPers want big DPS they dont care how to counter or pressure certain elite all what they care about is who will land the big DPS first

@sephiroth.4217No progression?

What about the petting zoo? They stopped spirits following and all.The Thief Pewpews with Ricochet and how they absolutely destroyed Mesmers or anyone grouped up?Diamond Skin was removed because Necro ran rapid amulet and complained that they couldn't even get 10% of the Elementalists health downWhat about Hambows?What about the turret knockback era?What about the Mesmer Bunker era?What about Celestial ElementalistsWhat about Celestial Amulet?What about all the Amulets we used to have such as soldier and settlers?What about all the different skill splits?

I could literally go on all day but the point is not all changes were PvE specific.

this not really consider a progression but a balanceA progression will be a new map new mode or even new skins new rewards

@DragonFury.6243 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:The higher DPS gets, the more skill that is required. Appreciate the power creep.

most if not all PvPers want big DPS they dont care how to counter or pressure certain elite all what they care about is who will land the big DPS first

What does any of that have to do with what I'm talking about I specifically mentioned that I do not think it's about dps vs bunker rather it's "effect bloat" on skills aks skills do way to much shit for 1 skill

@DragonFury.6243 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:The higher DPS gets, the more skill that is required. Appreciate the power creep.

@sephiroth.4217No progression?

this not really consider a progression but a balanceA progression will be a new map new mode or even new skins new rewards

courtyard, stronghold and ascension all of which were trashed by some of the community.

we make demands, Anet meets them and cops abuse over it. Why would anyone want to continue supporting these people? might as well support the people who appreciate the effort

Archived