Most diverse class

lordbachus.6091

I am looking for the class with the most diversity in playstyleI recently returned, and just can’t choose a main. Yet i don’t have time to play multiple alts if i want to archieve anything

So what class has most diversity when it come sto elite specs?And feeling totally different when playingLike a druid and a soulbeast feeling totally different

I am also interested in build variety..But most so in classes that have options to play a whole different feeling character..

Feel free to explain the diversity you find in your (favourite) class.And why you like it?

For pve mesmer. Chrono is THE boon support build in pve, and has a power dps build, and can be built as a healer with mantras. Mirage on the other hand covers condi dps. Ranger comes in 2nd having a healer/support build in druid, and a power and/or condi build in soulbeast. Then war having banner support in all build, while being able to play as condi dps with their berserker espec, or power in core/spellbreaker. Rest of the classes fall into either power or condi dps. Not too sure about pvp/wvw to comment, all I know is guardi war necro for zergs with a side of ele rev, and anything goes in solo roaming as long as you can 1 kill the opponent 2 not die to the opponent.

Every class has viable power and condi builds (condi builds might be underpowered in pvp modes unless you're mesmer, necro or thief). Besides thief and warrior, every class has strong support build (not all of them are popular/used in all game modes though).

Basically all classes have good variety of builds, it just depends what game mode you play the most, what kind of gameplay you like, how complex you want the build to be and how effective you want to be in more defined/meta groups (assuming you play with such groups).

@otto.5684 said:In terms of diversity in PvE, Mesmer leads followed by guardian. PvP It does not matter what class you play, there is not much diversity.

@otto.5684 said:In terms of diversity in PvE, Mesmer leads followed by guardian. PvP It does not matter what class you play, there is not much diversity.

I dont know about mesmer, i played some mesmer, but no matter the build or task, mesmer allways felt the same, blowing up illusions and phantams.. sure the effects are different.. but the whole mechanic stays the same..

The other examples however i cam see... a ranged dragonhunter feels quite different then a mellee base guardian... and a turret build for engi is certainly different then a kit build or holo build for engineer...

Even the elementalist where a d/d build feels entirely different from a staff build even if you build both for power dps...in the end i don’t care much for the meta, if required i will play a meta build in certain content.. but in open world and exploration i want to feel diverse..

How much diversity is there in necromancer, where a scourge build must certainly feel very different from a reaper build?

Don't mistake build diversity for play diverstiy. Elementalist has a lot of builds, but they all play essentially the same - attunement hop while making combos. Same with Mesmer - make clones, explode them. Most classes are like that I think, since the core class mechanic doesn't change a lot.

IMO Guardian has the most diversity in play style. All the Core builds are pretty much alike (Melee with various support abilities), and Dragonhunter is the same, but with better virtues (longbow sucks, so DH is a de-facto melee build until it's un-nerfed). Firebrand however opens up several different playstyles all at once - especially with the recent Staff rework. You can be a condi stacker, strong group support by focusing on tomes, a hard melee hitter (lots of quickness from mantras), a dedicated healer, a porcupine tank (Mystic Rebuke + Mace does a surprising amount of damage) and now with Staff being viable you can play as a heavy armor caster archetype. Not all of those builds are raid worthy, but most are good enough for the rest of the game.

Necro has a surprising amount of diversity, but it's definitively NOT meta. You won't be invited to anyone's reindeer games. But Reaper and Scourge are complete opposites to each other and feel like complete separate classes. There's also the Condi/Power Reaper divide, which are again completely different styles of play.

Thief is notable as well, since Deadeye and Daredevil are again pretty much opposite of each other.

Engineer is a possibility, with Photon Forge being completely different from anything else. Unfortunately, Holo is the only viable build at the moment so all the other goodies engie has won't actually be worth using.

@lordbachus.6091 said:

I dont know about mesmer, i played some mesmer, but no matter the build or task, mesmer allways felt the same, blowing up illusions and phantams.. sure the effects are different.. but the whole mechanic stays the same..

The other examples however i cam see... a ranged dragonhunter feels quite different then a mellee base guardian... and a turret build for engi is certainly different then a kit build or holo build for engineer...

Even the elementalist where a d/d build feels entirely different from a staff build even if you build both for power dps...in the end i don’t care much for the meta, if required i will play a meta build in certain content.. but in open world and exploration i want to feel diverse..

How much diversity is there in necromancer, where a scourge build must certainly feel very different from a reaper build?

Mesmer, condi mirage, both axe and scepter do not shatter much (scepter almost at all). The diversity in Mesmer (at least in solo PvE) is that all weapons are good with at least one build. That is more than most classes offer.

Though most classes have a mechanic that you will be stuck with regardless of the build. Shatter for Mesmer, virtues for guardian, shroud for necro and so on. And sadly, many elites do not change the formula much. Dragon hunter is an example of a build that does not change the core class almost at all in functionality. Spell breaker, almost identical to core warrior. You have other elites that play completely different, like holo, mirage or scourge.

It comes down to what you like. I started the game as Mesmer, switched to reverant, warrior and settled on guardian. I still play all 4 (and other classes occasionally), but now I main guardian.

I like my engineer.

Corecondi 3+kit engineer is kinda hardcore for your fingers, but fun non the less.Scrapper is a tank/support with less kits and hammer plays way different than pistol/rifle/shield.Holosmith is a like in dragonball. You are decent until you go super sayan with Photonforge and smash everything with crazy effects.

Archived