ele weapon switching

MysticReaper.4318

it is becoming a great pain to manually switch weapons until the Attunement. ok. i am new. i am willing lvl up, practice regularly. so far, i survived and killed event and world bosses in a group. i dodge good. jumping is improving. but if i have to switch weapons in the middle of a big fight, i am dead. due to my hand coordination problems, i cannot use the mouse quickly enough to switch weapons during a fight for example, it takes 2-4 ties to click my 6 digit 2-step authentication number that changes every time i miss to get into my other mmo.. i really do not want boost to lvl 80 unless i have great reasons to do it. i need to make a well informed decision.

1. what is attunement?
  2. does the attunement really enable weapon switching?
  3. does boosting to lvl 80 activate the atunement
  4. are there any content battles that requires weapon switching during the fight and before the attunement?
  5. what are the pros and cons of boosting to lvl 80?

1.) Attunement is switching into an Element (Fire,Water,Air,Earth)

2.) Yes, Changing attunement counts as a Weapon switch, hence why sigils have a 9 second CD on them.

3.) Boosting to Level 80 will port you to The Silverwastes, There you can run around the map with all attunements unlocked and you can decide if Elementalist is for you.

4.) For Core elementalist I think starting in AIr and then camping fire is the best thing to do, you will learn more about the class the longer you play it.

5.) Read answer #3. There are no cons for boosting to lvl 80 because you can try out the class before fully consuming it, Or if you do not like the class you can simply use the Level 80 boost on another profession and try that out first

@"Mini Crinny.6190" said:1.) Attunement is switching into an Element (Fire,Water,Air,Earth)

2.) Yes, Changing attunement counts as a Weapon switch, hence why sigils have a 9 second CD on them.

3.) Boosting to Level 80 will port you to The Silverwastes, There you can run around the map with all attunements unlocked and you can decide if Elementalist is for you.

4.) For Core elementalist I think starting in AIr and then camping fire is the best thing to do, you will learn more about the class the longer you play it.

5.) Read answer #3. There are no cons for boosting to lvl 80 because you can try out the class before fully consuming it, Or if you do not like the class you can simply use the Level 80 boost on another profession and try that out first

1. what weapon combos are used in pve, pvp, dungeons, raids, metas?

Out of order:

Attunements are themed "modes" that affect what weapon skills you have access to. Say you use a staff - the weapons skills you have (1 through 5) will be different depending on what attunement you are in at the time.

The pros of boosting to 80 is that you get to 80, perhaps to join friends that are already there. The cons is that you don't learn the class/game mechanics as you level, and can easily become lost at all the game offers. I highly recommend that a first character always be leveled the old fashioned way - after that, once you know the game better, you'll be much better informed on whether to boost additional characters or not.

Elementalists always swap attunements. Swapping during battle is what the entire class is about. Examples include (For Staff) Water 2 > Fire 2 to combo a blast finisher for might. Or Earth 2>Water 3 to combo for a big heal. It's not a question of fights that require you to swap, because swapping is the norm. It's fights that allow you to stay in a single attune that are the rarity.

You cannot swap weapons in combat as an elementalist.You can only swap attunements (fire/earth/water/air).

All weapons are used across game modes in different ways.

Staff is used for situations where you need range and AoE (wvw zergs, world bosses, some raids)Daggers are used when you don't need range but need AoE and mobility (open world, some pvp and wvw roaming builds)Scepter is used when you need range and burst (Some open world and pvp builds)Focus is used for defense, warhorn for AoE and support, sword for single target dps and evasion

tyvm everyone. the great pain of this class is gone. i understand it's design and why. i have no need for a boost. there is a greater need for patience and environmental combat weapons planning or E.C.W.P. - planning of using a weapon combo best for combat in environments of pve or pvp or events or dungeons or raids or metas or fractals or etc.

btw - i am much in love with the lightning whip skill. that skill has very sick, cool, awesome, bad-a-s-s, kick-a-s-s combat animation and damage.

The only reason why most ppl feel there needs to be some type of wepon swap is because they made all of the skills on each wepon feel like each other even though your in different atument. There realty not that big of a differences in-between the elements for say staff dagger scepter even sword.

I thought u meant attunement switching not actually weapon swapping.. weapon swaping isnt really a viable play style, you pick your gear and stats to work with what ever weapon your using. I guess in pve though it doesnt matter any weapon any set up with kill any mob eventually. It all come down to efficiency i guess.

@"Jski.6180" said:The only reason why most ppl feel there needs to be some type of wepon swap is because they made all of the skills on each wepon feel like each other even though your in different atument. There realty not that big of a differences in-between the elements for say staff dagger scepter even sword.

This is true for all weapons except for Staff. The skills on Staff are different to every other weapon, for example all Fire skills do damage and cause burning on other weapons, but Staff has less burning. Air skills deal good damage on all weapons except for Staff that does no damage. Earth skills deal consistent bleeding on all weapons, but Staff has very little bleeding (either hard to aim, or long cooldown). Dagger, scepter, sword are mostly the same.

I think the "best" reason to give Elementalists weapon swap is so they can change between melee and long range options with one button, like every other profession out there. Only the Elementalist can't change the range of their attacks by pressing a single button, which is sad.

@Jski.6180 said:The only reason why most ppl feel there needs to be some type of wepon swap is because they made all of the skills on each wepon feel like each other even though your in different atument. There realty not that big of a differences in-between the elements for say staff dagger scepter even sword.

No weapon swapping for elementalists in place of attunement is ok and logical in terms of balance. However, the way how the balance team make most of the skills useless is not ok. Especially the staff autos and many of the water/earth skills and when there's already attunement cooldowns in place.

What if the elementalist had shorter or no attunement cooldowns? What if the elementalist was able to switch weapon skills similar to core engineer with kits? I would really love to see that happen especially for core elementalist because having to wait 8-10 seconds just so you can use your defensive skills like Magnetic Wave and Obsidian Flesh can leave you in a bad spot against ranged professions like ranger and Deadeye.

@Hoodie.1045 said:What if the elementalist had shorter or no attunement cooldowns? What if the elementalist was able to switch weapon skills similar to core engineer with kits? I would really love to see that happen especially for core elementalist because having to wait 8-10 seconds just so you can use your defensive skills like Magnetic Wave and Obsidian Flesh can leave you in a bad spot against ranged professions like ranger and Deadeye.

Attunements have one second cooldown. They go on 8 seconds after you swap from them and at that point skills are already on cooldown.

@"Eddbopkins.2630" said:You said you have trouble pressing 6-9 if u get a mouse like this you can have all 6-9 and f1-f4 all with a the flick of the thumb. A mouse like this will 100% help out with weapon swapping and skill usage in this game. The mouse is under 45 dollars so not a big investment at all. But will 10000% increase the quality of life of ele play.

Hopefullly im not missreading.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gaming-Mouse-UtechSmart-Venus-16400-DPI-High-Precision-Laser-MMO-Gaming-Mouse-IGN-s-PICK/661385580?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=16394&adid=22222222228131205549&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=237938848718&wl4=aud-482018033502:pla-392458492983&wl5=9004518&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=120816874&wl11=online&wl12=661385580&wl13=&veh=sem

you misread. the buttons are not the problem. in fact, i mostly play without a mouse except when i do AOEs. my game play is like playing a keyboard song. in battle, my mouse movements get stressed. i cannot click equipment, drag weapons to switch them quickly enough to go back to the battle without getting massively damage or dying. if you want to experience it, stress and tighten your arm - shoulder, elbow, wrist, your button finger, make them very stiff and rigid and little shaky. try to control your mouse. point and click and drag specific items under stress is my archilles heel. yet AOEs, no problem.

@MysticReaper.4318 said:

@"Eddbopkins.2630" said:You said you have trouble pressing 6-9 if u get a mouse like this you can have all 6-9 and f1-f4 all with a the flick of the thumb. A mouse like this will 100% help out with weapon swapping and skill usage in this game. The mouse is under 45 dollars so not a big investment at all. But will 10000% increase the quality of life of ele play.

you misread. the buttons are not the problem. in fact, i mostly play without a mouse except when i do AOEs. my game play is like playing a keyboard song. in battle, my mouse movements get stressed. i cannot click equipment, drag weapons to switch them quickly enough to go back to the battle without getting massively damage or dying. if you want to experience it, stress and tighten your arm - shoulder, elbow, wrist, your button finger, make them very stiff and rigid and little shaky. try to control your mouse.

You should not need to be equipping different weapons all the time (it's not even possible to equip another weapon while in combat). Just find the weapon you like to use the most and run with that one. No clicking and dragging required.

@LaGranse.8652 said:

you misread. the buttons are not the problem. in fact, i mostly play without a mouse except when i do AOEs. my game play is like playing a keyboard song. in battle, my mouse movements get stressed. i cannot click equipment, drag weapons to switch them quickly enough to go back to the battle without getting massively damage or dying. if you want to experience it, stress and tighten your arm - shoulder, elbow, wrist, your button finger, make them very stiff and rigid and little shaky. try to control your mouse.

You should not need to be equipping different weapons all the time (it's not even possible to equip another weapon while in combat). Just find the weapon you like to use the most and run with that one. No clicking and dragging required.

ok. i will plan ahead before i go into a battle.

@LazySummer.2568 said:

@Jski.6180 said:The only reason why most ppl feel there needs to be some type of wepon swap is because they made all of the skills on each wepon feel like each other even though your in different atument. There realty not that big of a differences in-between the elements for say staff dagger scepter even sword.

No weapon swapping for elementalists in place of attunement is ok and logical in terms of balance. However, the way how the balance team make most of the skills useless is not ok. Especially the staff autos and many of the water/earth skills and when there's already attunement cooldowns in place.

That fine to think that way but all of the staff autos effecly play the same way between the diffrent attunements that is a problme.

If you want any class to be a 1 wepon class you must give them realty viable chose to change up there game play with just that one wepon. Right now ele is trapped to the attk type for the most part due to the wepon chose not due to the attunement chose. A dagger is going to be melee a scpter is going to be mid ranged and a staff is going to be long ranged (sword is going to be super short ranged) this simply dose not work well in an action combat game when other classes CAN change up there game play and combat type with in combat. If any thing its puts the ele classes at an even greater disavage then missing effects that all other classes have and these things do add up.

Fire should be the close high dmg air needs to be the fast mid to long range earth needs to be the close def and water needs to be the mid to long range support for all weapons with some veneration. Dagger main hand needs real viable ranged attks that do not need to traveler along the ground scpter and staff needs some good melee hits to push ppl back if they do get on the ele. Sword needs real ranged attks.

That is the price to pay to make 1 wepon class like ele viable.

@"Jski.6180" said:A dagger is going to be melee a scpter is going to be mid ranged and a staff is going to be long ranged (sword is going to be super short ranged) this simply dose not work well in an action combat game when other classes CAN change up there game play and combat type with in combat. If any thing its puts the ele classes at an even greater disavage then missing effects that all other classes have and these things do add up.

The other profession with a similar "problem" is engineer and they fix it by having competent kit skills that are worth using. The grenade kit provides an excellent range option with all 5 of its skills being useful. Meanwhile the equivalent of the Elementalist, the conjures, are practically used for 1 skill then discarded because the rest of their skills are garbage. There is no conjure skills that gives Elementalists 1200 range, Frost bow and Lava Axe are our 900 range options, and both those conjure weapons are terrible to stay at.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Jski.6180" said:A dagger is going to be melee a scpter is going to be mid ranged and a staff is going to be long ranged (sword is going to be super short ranged) this simply dose not work well in an action combat game when other classes CAN change up there game play and combat type with in combat. If any thing its puts the ele classes at an even greater disavage then missing effects that all other classes have and these things do add up.

The other profession with a similar "problem" is engineer and they fix it by having competent kit skills that are worth using. The grenade kit provides an excellent range option with all 5 of its skills being useful. Meanwhile the equivalent of the Elementalist, the conjures, are practically used for 1 skill then discarded because the rest of their skills are garbage. There is no conjure skills that gives Elementalists 1200 range, Frost bow and Lava Axe are our 900 range options, and both those conjure weapons are terrible to stay at.

Right so its not a real fix for dealing with the lock-into ranged type of combat that ele deals with. Its odd that a mages class could lack range on a wepon (a mages can lack melee but to lack a real ranged attks is odd). Its the war class who should have a real range problem often we do not see it to the same level of a problem that ele must deal with.

Archived