[Memory Screenshots] Please share only your screenshots that can never be witnessed again

StinVec.3621

I was going through my screenshots from my adventures in Guild Wars 2 over the past 6 years and I was amazed to see how many of them are of scenes that I can not go back and experience again. Many of them are of situations that occurred by chance that cannot be reproduced (or unlikely to ever be reproduced), others were of events or items that no longer exist, or at least not in the same form as they did when I took the screenshot.

If you have one or more screenshots from your adventures in Tyria that capture something that can never(*) again be witnessed in the game, I would love it if you would consider sharing it here.

• (*) (save for some hypothetical future intentional or unintentional change to the game which permits it to occur again)

I know there are many Living World Season 1 screenshots we have where pretty much any screenshot taken during that time can never be experienced again (and I welcome these screenshots being shared!), but I also know there are many other scenes and events that have been caught that can never be experienced again, including due to temporary bugs that had gotten fixed.

Examples of some things you may have captured that can never be experienced again include:

• A Location (a place that exists only in memory due to the game world being changed)
  • An Event (from before it was altered in a way that the situation cannot be experienced again)
  • A Skin (your character wearing or using an item that no longer exists in the game)
  • A Graphical Effect (such as possessing a graphical effect on a character that is no longer achievable or a map/item texture/shader issue)
  • NPC Changes (captured dialogue before it was changed to something else, or a female asura NPC growling like a male charr)
  • An Animation (of your character, an NPC or environmental item performing an animation that is no longer able to be witnessed in the game)

Or anything else that you captured which cannot be experienced by anyone else -including you- ever again.

Thank you for sharing!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorites in my screenshot collection to date is of Kessex Hills with an early character back in March of 2013. It was my favorite non-snowy map in the game which can no longer be experienced due to the changes Living World Season 1 made to the game world.

I miss this entire map so much and I have actively avoided ever adventuring into the 'altered' version for all of the years it has existed.

! 18pI0Ur.png! vSAwjeQ.jpg! fmVWbjD.jpg! vpk4Ssk.jpg!

Skin: The Original Flame-kissed Light Armor

(On one of my female sylvari)

Players temporarily had the human T3 cultural armor with extra effects available via the Gem Store that could be used on non-human characters. I only have screenshots of the armor being worn by my female sylvari (anyone wanting to share the armor on other species/genders would be welcome).

The armor was only available temporarily due to many players pointing out ArenaNet's 'oopsy' by expressing their disappointment in their making a cultural armor available via Gem Store, and an 'enhanced' version at that. It was soon removed and replaced with a fiery version of the Feathered armor set.

I really miss this armor set, and I'm still disappointed in how the issue was handled, especially as the Flame-kissed version of the skin was not made available even to humans via the cultural vendor as an 'enhanced' version of the T3 cultural armor (which could be done to T3 armors of other species as well).

! PfSASBT.png! fXrjUgD.png! vWq9juP.jpg! XcmN9FC.jpg

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:The Marionette, from a boss platform.

!
uIfqgNQ.jpg

Thanks for sharing that! I honestly forgot all about the Marionette. I thought it really was a lot of fun - so much so that I was always too involved in the event to hit my screenshot key even a single time, apparently. I thought I did have one though where there were dozens and dozens of players standing on the destroyed Marionette pieces at the end with our kites/balloons out, though I clearly must have deleted it at some point over the years. :\

@StinVec.3621 said:

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:The Marionette, from a boss platform.

!
uIfqgNQ.jpg

Thanks for sharing that! I honestly forgot all about the Marionette. I thought it really was a lot of fun - so much so that I was always too involved in the event to hit my screenshot key even a single time, apparently. I thought I did have one though where there were dozens and dozens of players standing on the destroyed Marionette pieces at the end with our kites/balloons out, though I clearly must have deleted it at some point over the years. :\

Yeah I only have this shot because it’s on my instagram ><

snekm1z5gOH.jpg

@lokh.2695 said:The forum won't let me post pictures unless I jump through some social media loops, so I won't do it. I have a great pic of my main, standing at the gates of the besieged Lions Arch.

You can put images on imgur without making an account. Although it's better having an account so you can go back to them and sort them through albums.

@"Haishao.6851" said:snekm1z5gOH.jpg

@lokh.2695 said:The forum won't let me post pictures unless I jump through some social media loops, so I won't do it. I have a great pic of my main, standing at the gates of the besieged Lions Arch.

You can put images on imgur without making an account. Although it's better having an account so you can go back to them and sort them through albums.

That's what I mean by social media loops. I know how to but I chose not to. Still thanks for the answer, didn't know that I could put pics there w/o an account.

Forums back in the 90s supported posting pictures on site, why can't an official forum in 2018? I know, serverspace is limited and by outsourcing it to imgur and other verified sites Anet can cut costs, I know the why but I chose to question that decision. Not being super salty about it, I just won't be posting any screenshots any time soon. ;)

@"Haishao.6851" said:snekm1z5gOH.jpg

@"lokh.2695" said:The forum won't let me post pictures unless I jump through some social media loops, so I won't do it. I have a great pic of my main, standing at the gates of the besieged Lions Arch.

That is...amazingly weird. I assume it was writhing in some fashion with its segments glitching about instead of stationary, but I don't know if that would be more weird than if it was just frozen in place.

I have honestly never seen this type of creature in the game before so I just looked it up on the wiki. Apparently it is an ambient creature in an area of the Desert Highlands map near the ogres/bunny mount, though I don't recall ever seeing any of them in my time adventuring through that map (probably because I was often too busy fighting off all of the harpies and branded that wanted me dead to even notice the ambient creatures slithering past).

@StinVec.3621 said:

@"Haishao.6851" said:snek
m1z5gOH.jpg

@"lokh.2695" said:The forum won't let me post pictures unless I jump through some social media loops, so I won't do it. I have a great pic of my main, standing at the gates of the besieged Lions Arch.

That is...amazingly weird. I assume it was writhing in some fashion with its segments glitching about instead of stationary, but I don't know if that would be more weird than if it was just frozen in place.

I have honestly never seen this type of creature in the game before so I just looked it up on the
. Apparently it is an ambient creature in an area of the Desert Highlands map near the ogres/bunny mount, though I don't recall ever seeing any of them in my time adventuring through that map (probably because I was often too busy fighting off all of the harpies and branded that wanted me dead to even notice the ambient creatures slithering past).

They were everywhere in Beta, and were almost always this buggy so they got removed.But i didn't know they were added again. I'll have to go look. They probably made them smaller.

@Haishao.6851 said:

@Haishao.6851 said:snek
m1z5gOH.jpg

I have honestly never seen this type of creature in the game before so I just looked it up on the
. Apparently it is an ambient creature in an area of the Desert Highlands map near the ogres/bunny mount, though I don't recall ever seeing any of them in my time adventuring through that map (probably because I was often too busy fighting off all of the harpies and branded that wanted me dead to even notice the ambient creatures slithering past).

They were everywhere in Beta, and were almost always this buggy so they got removed.But i didn't know they were added again. I'll have to go look. They probably made them smaller.

Oh wow. Interesting history on the creature from beta days. I didn't get to play until Day 1, so I missed out on all of the GW2 beta period. The pic on the wiki does look much smaller (ground texture is very blurry and seems zoomed in quite a bit on it), so the reintroduced version being really small compared to its beta implementation would also be a good explanation for my having never seen them snaking about. :)

The fight against the Watchknights in Scarlet's Attack on LA:AgainstKnight.JPG

Approaching the Nightmare Tower:Oct2013.JPG

My guild dancing in LA in the first day of headstart:BabyDance.PNG

Mix and Match townclothes:DonariDemure1.PNG

DonariValentine.PNG

WhiteCoatAviator.JPG

Hoodie.JPG

Same Hoodie as just above, bonus shot of old LA:NikLocHunt01.JPG

RafePosh.PNG

Another bonus old LA background (this was before you could dye the Wizard Hat:BriaraDance.PNG

BriaraShirtDance.PNG

Swimming with the LA whale:Whaleswim.JPG

Fort Salma when it was whole:gw222.jpg

And that's of just from consulting the compilations of a couple of alts and my Sept 2012 file ... I have a lot more. The original karka invasion, the Mad King erupting from the fountain, Marionette fights, the works!

Oh I have so many of these. Here's a selection, in no particular order:

Community stuff

You know how if you jump/fall/glide off Rata Sum you end up in that prison cell? This was the day gliding was enabled in core maps.

CHLeXuhh.jpg

This was out citadel in WvW. Apparently it was someone's brilliant plan for world domination.

Rh9LsjPh.jpg

Me at the end of the Obsidian Sanctum jumping puzzle, surrounded by enemies who weren't attacking me, because we all chose to let each other finish it.

eRjxnBlh.jpg

Removed/changed stuff

One from the PoF beta - the original version of the Lily of the Elon.

wsng2Rsh.jpg

This is probably why Hero-tons time as Heal-o-tron didn't last.

3aUckhUh.jpg

The Holo Dragon from Dragon Bash

tNFQqb2h.jpg

The old shrine to Balthazar that was in LA, where the Royal Terrace is now.

uC9sZFih.jpg

The last time my character got to wear her old town clothes: panda hat, pirate costume, cultural boots, with each piece dyed properly to fit her colour scheme.

qGzQrIph.jpg

Bugs

Zhaitan, from when you could get under the map in Arah story mode (back when it was a dungeon). Apparently he fell through the map and ended up down here.

QFxVE0hh.jpg

I still have no idea what happened here, but shortly after the Shatterer event finished I found it to the north east of where it's supposed to spawn, clipping through a hill. The really weird part is apparently no one else could see it there.

ApbSXAQh.jpg

The river in the north of Bloodtide Coast when the water didn't load.

qAN0JJfh.jpg

You'll need to look at this one really carefully, it's a very subtle bug with the revenant's legend animations, from the HoT beta.

9W3o1JDh.jpg

Old UI

One from beta. I took the screenshot to show the whale, but it also shows the old UI with a round map and the dodge bar above the utility skills instead of the health bar.

IbfgdC5h.jpg

The old Trait menu, back when there were only 5 lines and instead of training them up you put points into the lines to activate them. You could put up to 30 points in each, and if you put less in you couldn't use later traits but could put the points into another line. Oh and they gave stat boosts too.

KUogjlsh.jpg

I took this one to commemorate completing the monthly for the first time ever, but it also shows the old achievement UI from before there were any AP rewards, a summary tab or categories, and the first version of the achievement tracking system.

91qtO4Ih.jpg

The old Trading Post, before they re-worked it to add more options when buying and selling.

vc0REoHh.jpg

I don't know if this is still available, but oh-my-kitten:

Q5nFB95.pngx3zMfTc.png

Work in Progress:liCZGSc.jpg

World vs. World needed for World Completion:oDYT4Rh.jpg

Hunger Games (aka Fanfics):MIiGmaK.jpg

Town Clothes Mixing Together:c3IMjLF.jpg

The old Halloween loading screen for the old Lion's Arch:ZRbogjr.jpg

Advertising for groups in map chat before the LFG tool:pw7s3gD.png

Loading into PvP and seeing this:pVJ78ob.jpg

Dragon Bash:lknYDvB.jpg

The fountain from Old Lion's Arch:feL9Y5c.gif

@"Lightbringer.5860" said:Sitting out of bounds in the Black Citadel (If this is in the game still please tell me how, great view)35QSy87.jpg

They removed the boundary around Nolan Academy-Ligacus Aquilo so you can fly over with the griffon. If you can't get enough height from the Asuragate you can head up to the Imperator's Core and fly down from their too possibly with max gliding but I haven't tried it.

@"Danikat.8537" said:Oh I have so many of these. Here's a selection, in no particular order:

Community stuff

You know how if you jump/fall/glide off Rata Sum you end up in that prison cell? This was the day gliding was enabled in core maps.

CHLeXuhh.jpg

This was out citadel in WvW. Apparently it was someone's brilliant plan for world domination.

Rh9LsjPh.jpg

Me at the end of the Obsidian Sanctum jumping puzzle, surrounded by enemies who weren't attacking me, because we all chose to let each other finish it.

eRjxnBlh.jpg

Removed/changed stuff

One from the PoF beta - the original version of the Lily of the Elon.

wsng2Rsh.jpg

This is probably why Hero-tons time as Heal-o-tron didn't last.

3aUckhUh.jpg

The Holo Dragon from Dragon Bash

tNFQqb2h.jpg

The old shrine to Balthazar that was in LA, where the Royal Terrace is now.

uC9sZFih.jpg

The last time my character got to wear her old town clothes: panda hat, pirate costume, cultural boots, with each piece dyed properly to fit her colour scheme.

qGzQrIph.jpg

Bugs

Zhaitan, from when you could get under the map in Arah story mode (back when it was a dungeon). Apparently he fell through the map and ended up down here.

QFxVE0hh.jpg

I still have no idea what happened here, but shortly after the Shatterer event finished I found it to the north east of where it's supposed to spawn, clipping through a hill. The really weird part is apparently no one else could see it there.

ApbSXAQh.jpg

The river in the north of Bloodtide Coast when the water didn't load.

qAN0JJfh.jpg

You'll need to look at this one really carefully, it's a very subtle bug with the revenant's legend animations, from the HoT beta.

9W3o1JDh.jpg

Old UI

One from beta. I took the screenshot to show the whale, but it also shows the old UI with a round map and the dodge bar above the utility skills instead of the health bar.

IbfgdC5h.jpg

The old Trait menu, back when there were only 5 lines and instead of training them up you put points into the lines to activate them. You could put up to 30 points in each, and if you put less in you couldn't use later traits but could put the points into another line. Oh and they gave stat boosts too.

KUogjlsh.jpg

I took this one to commemorate completing the monthly for the first time ever, but it also shows the old achievement UI from before there were any AP rewards, a summary tab or categories, and the first version of the achievement tracking system.

91qtO4Ih.jpg

The old Trading Post, before they re-worked it to add more options when buying and selling.

vc0REoHh.jpg

I actually miss the old trait system.

Sometimes I'd put points in for stat boosts, others for the perks. It was a fun system.

Archived