I can't make Mirage work. Help?

Maulclaw.4365

Hello, everyone.

So I'm the kind of person who really appreciates variety... and because of that, I found myself having more than 24 characters, resulting in 3 characters per class. The idea is pretty simple. I make characters that are meant to use a core class, a HoT specialization and a PoF specialization while at the same time being attached to different weapon styles and roles. The best example that I can provide are my ranger characters. I have a Damage ranger, a Support Druid and a Conditions Soulbeast -- and they work without any issues for both PvE and PvP.

I was hoping to achieve the same thing for mesmer. That is why I have three of them. But there's a problem. Unlike the other classes, I have no idea what to do with this class. I don't understand how Mirage work... and even though I've been battling this even before the expansion's announcement I still cannot figure it out. I only have one chronomancer whose role is Damage. He uses a Sword/Shield and a Greatsword. And that's settled. I was hoping to create some kind of Support or Tank role for one of the other two but apparently, that's not a choice since they're no longer relevant or reliable. So I was kind of hoping to make a basic Conditions character that could use something like Sinister or Viper while the other has a higher chance of survival by using stats like Dire or Trailblazer.

When I experimented Mesmer builds for WvW I found a build to be quite fun. It relied on Staff and Scepter/Torch and the use of Dire/Trailblazer stats. Some people have told me that this isn't great for PvE but so far I don't have any major complaints. With these weapons used it means that the following ones can indeed be used for a Mirage:

• Pistol off-hand;
  • Sword off-hand;
  • Focus off-hand;
  • Axe main-hand;

As you can see there's a problem with this. There's a lack of a main-hand. As an exception, I'm willing to use a Sword or a Scepter if required. But I don't really know what exactly to pick and how well said build would do in real-time. My knowledge about Mesmers is really slim, and I was hoping that you guys could provide a better insight regarding this problem. It's just that it's been troubling me for such a long time now.

Hi there. I don't quite understand what you mean by "a lack of main-hand." Since the launch of Path of Fire, I've been using Axe/Pistol and Axe/Torch for open world and T4 Fractals, and it has performed quite well. I've yet to try a Power-based Mirage, so I have not much to say about main-hand sword in PVE, but I do know Scepter is still a solid ranged option.

I am doing a condi spec. I am using axe/torch and staff. I pick the utilities to maximize mirage mirrors so as to maximize my ambush opportunities. It runs great. Even though I am using staff, instead of scepter, clone generation is still quite rapid and, of course, the staff adds to the survivability. Between the axe and the staff, the mobs die pretty fast.

I run full Trailblazers with Superior Torment runes (mostly for WvW but it makes PVE super easy) and use Axe/Torch and Scepter/Pistol on a condi build on my Mirage. Traits are Illusions, Chaos, and Mirage and I am still playing around with the combination of the traits for best survivability:damage ratio. I am running Crystal Sands and Illusionary ambush with the Condition Damage sigil, and Jaunt for the elite. Works well so far. The heals are pretty much situational, as I use false oasis in PvE for the free mirror and one of either the signet or ether feast for everything else.

You can always run Vipers instead of Trailblazers in PvE for more Power damage and precision.

I don't have an issue with clone generation as axe 2 does that as well as scepter auto attack. I can literally facetank 10 or so mobs and just melt them with condis.

Axe completely replaced sword for me as I used scepter on my condi chrono build.

Archived