What's your prediction for the month and year that the next expansion will be publicly announced?

It depends, many people ignore that an expansion doesn't necessarily have to be part of the main storyline. It's entirely possible that they release an expansion focused around a bigger side story which means that the main story going from S4 directly into S5 might not necessarily have to have an effect on the release date of the next expantion.

@Tails.9372 said:It depends, many people ignore that an expansion doesn't necessarily have to be part of the main storyline. It's entirely possible that they release an expansion focused around a bigger side story which means that the main story going from S4 directly into S5 might not necessarily have to have an effect on the release date of the next expantion.

That will never happen, just saying. An Expansion is a big deal, not a side story.

My guess is:

• Publicly announced/pre-purchase Begins: 2020, March 24 (Tuesday)
  • Released: 2020, May 12th (Tuesday)

I don't think there are any March or May festivals in-game, and Super Adventure Box is in April. My thinking is that pre-purchase would begin just before SAB returns as that will lure a lot of past players back who have not played for a while and they would see the new expansion advertised in the 'SAB Returns' newsletter e-mail. They would be informed again on the launcher; informed again on the loading screen before they even get in-game; informed again by a 'notification' icon above the mini-map (where chests are); I think there was also a forced notification on the Achievement Tracker area for the previous expansions, though I think that was able to be manually hidden; and of course in the Gem Store image carousel.

Then again, as the newsletter e-mails announcing a festival returning do not get sent out to subscribers until the festivals have already been going on for a couple weeks (utterly useless), they likely can't rely on those emails. Though even if they are a month late getting sent out and the festival is over with already, the game could still be pre-purchased for a few more weeks before it releases.

I'm sticking with August/September 2019, with release October/November 2019...completely feasible even with S4 and S5 running together and S4 still having 3 episodes left, there's no definitive number of episodes that make up a season, it could literally be 3 episodes in S5 leading into the expansion.

I hope it will be sooner as opposed to later. I spent a couple months replaying through HoT content. Probably a couple of weeks ago, I switched focus to season 3. The quality took a nosedive, in my opinion. I remember feeling similarly when I went from PoF to season 4. I really would like some clarification as to what the plan is. Knowing an expansion is coming in a year is a lot more bearable than having no idea where we are headed.

@Edelweiss.4261 said:I hope it will be sooner as opposed to later. I spent a couple months replaying through HoT content. Probably a couple of weeks ago, I switched focus to season 3. The quality took a nosedive, in my opinion. I remember feeling similarly when I went from PoF to season 4. I really would like some clarification as to what the plan is. Knowing an expansion is coming in a year is a lot more bearable than having no idea where we are headed.

I'm somewhat eating my words a tiny bit now. Started Flashpoint yesterday. One of the scenes early in the episode actually really worked for me. I'd say what, but I don't remember if/how spoilers work on here at the moment.

I don't think we have enough information to make a founded prediction at this point. With the announcement of season 5 it's unclear how much longer season 4 will go on and then of course how long season 5 itself will be. How long each of those seasons are will determine how long we have until the next expansion. If we're just going off of the roughly 2 years between HoT and PoF then somewhere around August-November 2019 for expac 3. But again, we don't know enough about how living world will pan out to make a reasonable conclusion. Here's to hoping we see it in 2019 though!

Archived