What should I do to prepare for the Halloween event? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What should I do to prepare for the Halloween event?

Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited September 10, 2018 in Players Helping Players

Saw some halloween candy on the store shelf, so no, it's not too early to ask :)

This will be my first time for the event, and while I know (and suspect) ANET may make additions or changes, what are the best practices you've acquired for preparing for the event?

So far I've stockpiled some WvW potions to quickly fill out the reward track when it becomes live, and I have a few stacks of candy corn from home instance nodes save up.

Comments

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2018

    Buy up candy corn and cobs for what you expect you’ll need.

  • Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

    You may want to stock up a few gems if any of the items offered in the gem store during past Halloweens appeal to you. You can also look at what has been offered by the candy corn cob vendor in the past to see what you might need to save candy corn for, along with assorted recipes available for cobs that you may want to take a closer look at, so you can also start to buy or save the other needed materials.

    Good luck, have fun.

  • @Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Buy up candy corn and cobs for what you expect you’ll need.

    I'm sure this will change as the month progresses and as people read threads like this...

    • Candy corn is currently running 0.45-0.54 silver, so 1000 would run 4.5-5.4 gold each.
    • The cobs (that cost 1000 corn) are running 3.4-4.2 gold, i.e. significantly cheaper.
    • This has been true nearly 365 days/year, every year, although the difference is sometimes smaller during the festival.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

  • Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

    For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?
    Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

    | Condi SB, but able to adapt | Core PvE Casual | Salty |

  • reddie.5861reddie.5861 Member ✭✭✭

    @MauChann.3081 said:
    Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

    For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?
    Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

    why? i would play deadeye short bow, perma quickness and just 1111 and f1 for quickness how easy.

  • starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @reddie.5861 said:

    @MauChann.3081 said:
    Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

    For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?
    Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

    why? i would play deadeye short bow, perma quickness and just 1111 and f1 for quickness how easy.

    @MauChann.3081 said:
    Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

    For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?
    Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

    Amateurs.

    maxresdefault.jpg

  • Urud.4925Urud.4925 Member ✭✭✭

    :) hands down, you win.
    I usually played daredevil but I also enjoyed the revenenat (with dwarf #7), since after a while I think you didn't find corns anymore with the same character iirc, so I swapped. @Danikat.8537 reminded me of the discussions between "pro-looter" and casual farmers on these small maps... that was the only sad aspect of the festival. Basically if you see that there's a comm tag on the map, don't start to kill mobs on your own, but join the group (or at least follow it).

    As for the preparations... put a good lamp with a soft light near your monitor. That dark-themed instances are cool if played with the right atmosphere (although a long farming will make them boring anyway at some point... "Everything in moderation, including moderation")

  • sigur.9453sigur.9453 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018

    @starlinvf.1358 said:

    @reddie.5861 said:

    @MauChann.3081 said:
    Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

    For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?
    Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

    why? i would play deadeye short bow, perma quickness and just 1111 and f1 for quickness how easy.

    @MauChann.3081 said:
    Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

    For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?
    Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

    Amateurs.

    maxresdefault.jpg

    may be a bit better on the door events, but people forget how many mobs you can tag with sb thief inbetween, nothing can beat that.
    with over 5 thiefs in a squad, you will struggle to keep up. i saw a lot of angry engee players last year.

  • starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @sigur.9453 said:

    @starlinvf.1358 said:

    @reddie.5861 said:

    @MauChann.3081 said:
    Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

    For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?
    Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

    why? i would play deadeye short bow, perma quickness and just 1111 and f1 for quickness how easy.

    @MauChann.3081 said:
    Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

    For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?
    Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

    Amateurs.

    maxresdefault.jpg

    may be a bit better on the door events, but people forget how many mobs you can tag with sb thief inbetween, nothing can beat that.
    with over 5 thiefs in a squad, you will struggle to keep up. i saw a lot of angry engee players last year.

    Thats only if you're at the back of the blob. Engineers have a lot of options to stay out front when FT is the only kit you need to carry. Plus..... Considering the doors have 50+ enemies that are way easier to tag then open mobs that die to everyone dropping max damage on it, AND its harder to tag dense clusters of enemies due to the target cap, I'd say max tagging at the doors is more substantial then tagging an extra 5 mobs on the run,

  • @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:


    More specifically, here are some historical prices for ToTs (rough average between buy and sell offers):

    • 2015: Opened ~6s, peaked at 17.5s in June following year, dropped to 15s final month
    • 2016: Opened 7.5s, peaked at 5s during off season, to 4.5s
    • 2017: Opened 5s, peaked 5s, now running about 5s.

    You can expect 200 ToTs per reward track for an estimated total of ~10 gold (based on ~5s/bag)

    For Wintersday Gifts

    • 2015: opened ~10s, peaked 10.5s, closed 9.3s
    • 2016: opened ~10s, peaked 8.1s, closed 7.5s
    • 2017: opened at 7.3s, peaked 7.2s, currently running ~7s

    You can expect 180 W-Gifts per track and choose 100 more from the final reward, for 280, for an estimated total of ~16g (based on 7.5s/bag).

    Some when are the best times to sell those Wintersday gifts and ToT?
    At the very beginning of the event?

    It looks like ToT bags have stabilized over the last 2 years around 5s. And Wintersday Gifts seem headed that way too. Am I wrong?

  • @Flower Lyssa.8012 said:

    @Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:


    More specifically, here are some historical prices for ToTs (rough average between buy and sell offers):

    • 2015: Opened ~6s, peaked at 17.5s in June following year, dropped to 15s final month
    • 2016: Opened 7.5s, peaked at 5s during off season, to 4.5s
    • 2017: Opened 5s, peaked 5s, now running about 5s.

    You can expect 200 ToTs per reward track for an estimated total of ~10 gold (based on ~5s/bag)

    For Wintersday Gifts

    • 2015: opened ~10s, peaked 10.5s, closed 9.3s
    • 2016: opened ~10s, peaked 8.1s, closed 7.5s
    • 2017: opened at 7.3s, peaked 7.2s, currently running ~7s

    You can expect 180 W-Gifts per track and choose 100 more from the final reward, for 280, for an estimated total of ~16g (based on 7.5s/bag).

    Some when are the best times to sell those Wintersday gifts and ToT?
    At the very beginning of the event?

    It looks like ToT bags have stabilized over the last 2 years around 5s. And Wintersday Gifts seem headed that way too. Am I wrong?

    Generally, on the very first days of the event.

  • @Flower Lyssa.8012 said:

    Some when are the best times to sell those Wintersday gifts and ToT?
    At the very beginning of the event?

    @Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:
    Generally, on the very first days of the event.

    Or 7-9 months later.

    It will depend a lot on whether there's anything new that drops from the wintersday gifts.

    It looks like ToT bags have stabilized over the last 2 years around 5s. And Wintersday Gifts seem headed that way too. Am I wrong?

    It's varied more considerably throughout the year.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.