What should I do to prepare for the Halloween event?

Turkeyspit.3965

Saw some halloween candy on the store shelf, so no, it's not too early to ask :)

This will be my first time for the event, and while I know (and suspect) ANET may make additions or changes, what are the best practices you've acquired for preparing for the event?

So far I've stockpiled some WvW potions to quickly fill out the reward track when it becomes live, and I have a few stacks of candy corn from home instance nodes save up.

You may want to stock up a few gems if any of the items offered in the gem store during past Halloweens appeal to you. You can also look at what has been offered by the candy corn cob vendor in the past to see what you might need to save candy corn for, along with assorted recipes available for cobs that you may want to take a closer look at, so you can also start to buy or save the other needed materials.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:Saw some halloween candy on the store shelf, so no, it's not too early to ask :)

This will be my first time for the event, and while I know (and suspect) ANET may make additions or changes, what are the best practices you've acquired for preparing for the event?

So far I've stockpiled some WvW potions to quickly fill out the reward track when it becomes live, and I have a few stacks of candy corn from home instance nodes save up.

FYI unless something changes this year, the Winterday reward track has been historically more lucrative (in part because the huge amount of W-gifts you can get for the ultimate reward, and because historically ToT bags have been worth less).

More specifically, here are some historical prices for ToTs (rough average between buy and sell offers):

• 2015: Opened ~6s, peaked at 17.5s in June following year, dropped to 15s final month
  • 2016: Opened 7.5s, peaked at 5s during off season, to 4.5s
  • 2017: Opened 5s, peaked 5s, now running about 5s.

You can expect 200 ToTs per reward track for an estimated total of ~10 gold (based on ~5s/bag)

For Wintersday Gifts

• 2015: opened ~10s, peaked 10.5s, closed 9.3s
  • 2016: opened ~10s, peaked 8.1s, closed 7.5s
  • 2017: opened at 7.3s, peaked 7.2s, currently running ~7s

You can expect 180 W-Gifts per track and choose 100 more from the final reward, for 280, for an estimated total of ~16g (based on 7.5s/bag).

I tend to save gold instead of candy corn as candy corn gets cheaper towards the end of Halloween. My preparation for Halloween now means starting to save up around early August because there's always an absurdly expensive mini and I don't want to spend another Halloween farming the Labyrinth until I'm sick of it (and literally dreaming about it).

But if it's your first time doing it I recommend spending the first few hours after the event starts just checking out what's on offer. There's lots of different mini games, a scavenger hunt with some good lore and back items as rewards, lots of unique items to get, and the Labyrinth which can be a good source of gold.

I highly recommend doing the Mad Memoires scavenger hunt - it will give you some background on what Guild Wars Halloween is all about and it's a fun activity which doesn't take a lot of time or skill to complete.

If you're interested in making gold then farming the Labyrinth can be a good way to do it. You'll need a build which lets you tag lots of enemies quickly but without any knockbacks, pulls or fear because the goal is to bunch enemies up and let everyone hit them as many times as possible and that's hard to do if they're moving all over the place. Also a willingness to put up with some stupid arguments in map, say and squad chat because people get grumpy when they're running in circles trying to make gold as fast as possible.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Buy up candy corn and cobs for what you expect you’ll need.

I'm sure this will change as the month progresses and as people read threads like this...

• Candy corn is currently running 0.45-0.54 silver, so 1000 would run 4.5-5.4 gold each.
  • The cobs (that cost 1000 corn) are running 3.4-4.2 gold, i.e. significantly cheaper.
  • This has been true nearly 365 days/year, every year, although the difference is sometimes smaller during the festival.

@MauChann.3081 said:Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

why? i would play deadeye short bow, perma quickness and just 1111 and f1 for quickness how easy.

@reddie.5861 said:

@MauChann.3081 said:Assuming from your post you will be playing only WvW during Halloween?

For those not doing WvW but doing the Labyrinth. I heard that renegade shortbow is the new lootstick?Otherwise we could always revert back to scourge I guess but I think using a renegade to farm enemies is worth a try?

why? i would play deadeye short bow, perma quickness and just 1111 and f1 for quickness how easy.

Amateurs.

maxresdefault.jpg

@"starlinvf.1358" said:Amateurs.

maxresdefault.jpg

:) hands down, you win.I usually played daredevil but I also enjoyed the revenenat (with dwarf #7), since after a while I think you didn't find corns anymore with the same character iirc, so I swapped. @"Danikat.8537" reminded me of the discussions between "pro-looter" and casual farmers on these small maps... that was the only sad aspect of the festival. Basically if you see that there's a comm tag on the map, don't start to kill mobs on your own, but join the group (or at least follow it).

As for the preparations... put a good lamp with a soft light near your monitor. That dark-themed instances are cool if played with the right atmosphere (although a long farming will make them boring anyway at some point... "Everything in moderation, including moderation")

@starlinvf.1358 said:

Amateurs.

maxresdefault.jpg

may be a bit better on the door events, but people forget how many mobs you can tag with sb thief inbetween, nothing can beat that.with over 5 thiefs in a squad, you will struggle to keep up. i saw a lot of angry engee players last year.

@sigur.9453 said:

Amateurs.

maxresdefault.jpg

may be a bit better on the door events, but people forget how many mobs you can tag with sb thief inbetween, nothing can beat that.with over 5 thiefs in a squad, you will struggle to keep up. i saw a lot of angry engee players last year.

Thats only if you're at the back of the blob. Engineers have a lot of options to stay out front when FT is the only kit you need to carry. Plus..... Considering the doors have 50+ enemies that are way easier to tag then open mobs that die to everyone dropping max damage on it, AND its harder to tag dense clusters of enemies due to the target cap, I'd say max tagging at the doors is more substantial then tagging an extra 5 mobs on the run,

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

More specifically, here are some historical prices for ToTs (rough average between buy and sell offers):

• 2015: Opened ~6s, peaked at 17.5s in June following year, dropped to 15s final month

You can expect 200 ToTs per reward track for an estimated total of ~10 gold (based on ~5s/bag)

For Wintersday Gifts

You can expect 180 W-Gifts per track and choose 100 more from the final reward, for 280, for an estimated total of ~16g (based on 7.5s/bag).

Some when are the best times to sell those Wintersday gifts and ToT?At the very beginning of the event?

It looks like ToT bags have stabilized over the last 2 years around 5s. And Wintersday Gifts seem headed that way too. Am I wrong?

@Flower Lyssa.8012 said:

For Wintersday Gifts

Some when are the best times to sell those Wintersday gifts and ToT?At the very beginning of the event?

It looks like ToT bags have stabilized over the last 2 years around 5s. And Wintersday Gifts seem headed that way too. Am I wrong?

Generally, on the very first days of the event.

@Flower Lyssa.8012 said:

Some when are the best times to sell those Wintersday gifts and ToT?At the very beginning of the event?@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Generally, on the very first days of the event.Or 7-9 months later.

It will depend a lot on whether there's anything new that drops from the wintersday gifts.

It looks like ToT bags have stabilized over the last 2 years around 5s. And Wintersday Gifts seem headed that way too. Am I wrong?It's varied more considerably throughout the year.

Archived