Starting WvW and need information. Lots of information.

EpicName.4523

People claim there are several options to build a scourge for WvW. I'm new to this mode and need something braindead easy to learn how to play.On meta battle there is "power scourge" which uses marauder gear. Some people on the forums have pointed out that celestial is the way to go while others say that trailblazer is what you need. So, power - condi or celestial? Also, if it is celestial where to get ascended accessories with that prefix?

Since I have started already with the questions, I've seen several other builds on meta battle https://metabattle.com/wiki/WvW including "backline herald" which uses berserker gear. Don't they get two-shotted by pretty much everything or is this some kind of kill-or-be-killed playstyle?

Also, I 've seen many complain about "roaming mesmers" which seem to be either condi/power or some kind of mix between them. However, the build that is on the very top of metabattle WVW is "support chrono". What kind of gear mesmers use in WvW? Aren't firebrands supposed to be the go to support for that mode?

And finally, if you don't want to play deadeye and instagib people from max range, is it ok to play a condi thief? Is it good?

Thanks!

All condi scourge used to be a thing but the meta - at least in the EU - has since shifted toward more power. Celestial is the baseline but you can swing either way really.

Heralds run all power and need the support of the frontline and healers to be effective, thats usually how the backline work.

For the mesmer, support chrono is a pure zerg build and it doesnt compete with fb for slots. You simply want a few of them. Nobody roam on that. Well, nobody sane. As with zergs, the roaming meta has heavily shifted toward power instead of condi and many will be running shatter or hybrid mirages.

Its ok to play condi thief. Its the most retarded condi build one could ever run no matter if its effective or not, but its ok.

@EpicName.4523 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:first what sort of play style do you want?

we will narrow it down and maybe i can suggest a particular class for you.
  1. damage
  2. sustain
  3. hybrid

?

I'm looking for info and will decide once I am sure what kind of gear is needed. It's much less expensive to craft marauder compared to celestial, for example.

my gut feel based on bro experience.

you can gear up thru the 3 choices whether you choose to focus on being the teams damager, teams healer, or all arounder.

sample

as damage - zerker, maraude, assassins

as healer - minstrel, cleric, magi etc.

as hybrid - celestials or combination with hp power condi healing.

as damage - rev, ele, engi, reaper, warrior

as healer - engi, tempest, fb, rev, mes

as hybrid - warrior, rev, scourge, fb, mes, weaver, chrono etc.

from here it be either solo or team play.

small group or zerg.

so in a way, i cant tell u based on gear, since it can work but if u choose between damage sustain or hybrid, its easier and practical.

Depends what you wanna do inside WvW.Mainly there are 4 options.

1.Join a zerg: so you go in metabattle and at the top you see baseline of meta builds for zerg big fights. For example berseker herald zerg build uses hammer from backline and safety and it's very different from the roaming variant using double sword.

2.Solo roaming: basically you just go arouns the map flipping camps, getting sentries, killing other roamers, duel a lot. If you like pvp kind of challenge this is the way to go.But I warn you, solo roaming it's very frustating if you are not good at playing your profession or with a low mobility class, because you will get ganked by noobs a lot who are 2 plus people which just go for the easy garbage kill on you around the map because 1vs1 they are probably very garbage at playing their class, so they prefere killing one player alone 2vs1 3vs1 4vs1 etc. And feel about themselves.

3.Join a small group of people: if you have guildmates make a group of 3 to 10 people and go around the map, this way it's easier to flip towers too which are too long and frustating to do if alone.Both roaming and small group are in the small scale of metabattle.

1. Do a mix of zerg roaming, join small groups.

The thing is try to have fun, because it can be quite a frustating gamemode especially for solo roamers who get constantly ganked by premade guild groups who are so eager for 1 kill.

Probably the best thing is running in a small group and be the hunter and not the victim, but personally I don't like going 6vs1 this cheaply on someone.I feel you learn nothing about your profession if constantly you need help to kill someone and go always 2vs1 3vs1 etc.

Celestial Scourge was viable even during the condi meta, it's still viable and a good investment, you can get the accessories for the winter berry thingies, you know, the map NE from Frostgorge.Heralds have enough to tools to stay alive both on tag and outside of the melee ball even in zerker gear.As for the mesmers: there's a difference between roaming and blob builds, blob mesmers play minstrel support, are there for the boonshare, veils, portals, pulls and grav wells on bubbles.Condi thief is a build for bad thieves.

I would suggest backline herald, bubble war, or power scourge.celestial takes time and money to make.

this is an excellent way to get celestial and minstrel without dumping huge amounts of resources into gear.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystal_Desert_Reward_Track

pay special attention to prefix - selectable.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Special:RunQuery/Equipment_query

Archived