Legostyle.2718

@Zero.3871 said:Holosmith

great CC, Sustain,Heal,Boons,Dmg Broken Damageokayish GREAT mobility

Soulbeast

broken range, dmggreat mobility, Sustain, heal

Spellbreaker

Broken SustainGreat dmgokayish GREAT mobility

Deadeye

Broken Mobility Stealth Access/Backstab PotentialGreat DMG and ~~Sustain ~~ Stealth by dodges

Fixed

Holosmith is probably your best bet. The elite as a whole is very overtuned in WvW right now. Damage and Sustain is ridiculously over the top, somehow it escaped the nerfs that it received in sPvP, even though it's purpose seems to be engaging in similar sized battles in WvW. It does take some mechanical skill to consistently nail your rotations, but that's the problem, the very essence of WvW Holosmith is rotation, rotation, rotation. Not too much awareness/combat skill involved. It is very much flavor of the month right now.

DH is ok but has bad matchups against most meta specs these days.

I would add herald to your list, but it's not the best for solo roaming. Too glassy and getting out can be difficult if you don't plan your escape route at least a few seconds in advance.

Pick holosmith. The CC, damage, sustain, and mobility combined in WvW is just too much for any given class (of course, not mentioning mesmer because you refuse to play it). Just for the love of god don't play that 3k armor pistol/shield tank. No one has fun fighting that.

Dragonhunter has a siginifcant number of counters. He has to dodge the opening DJ (unblockable) and even then the Deadeye will peel him. A Soulbeast just attacks through his blocks with unblockables. A Reaper that specs into 2500 or more armor outsustains a Marauder Dragonhunter. Spellbreaker and Holosmith should outsustain him too.

All in all not so many matchups where the DH is favored (it's still a noob stomp spec). Nevertheless I have seen really competent DH players that had very effective rotations. They all mastered the usage of their numerous leaps and the teleport to engage and disengage.

@Tehologist.5841 said:Is Mesmer that good for solo roaming? I really like having a Mesmer around for boon share when I am roaming. Other than ganking and stomping newbs, doesn’t seem like much really to do solo since can’t carry enough supply to even get into most keeps.

Mesmers don't solo roam. Theres automatically 5 other people there doing the fighting for you.

@Turk.5460 said:

Holosmith

great CC, Sustain,Heal,Boons,
Dmg
Broken Damage
okayish
GREAT mobility

Soulbeast

broken range, dmggreat mobility, Sustain, heal

Spellbreaker

Broken SustainGreat dmg
okayish
GREAT mobility

Deadeye

Broken
Mobility
Stealth Access/Backstab PotentialGreat DMG and ~~Sustain ~~ Stealth by dodges

Fixed

Holosmith is probably your best bet. The elite as a whole is
very
overtuned in WvW right now. Damage and Sustain is ridiculously over the top, somehow it escaped the nerfs that it received in sPvP, even though it's purpose seems to be engaging in similar sized battles in WvW. It does take some mechanical skill to consistently nail your rotations, but that's the problem, the very essence of WvW Holosmith is
rotation, rotation, rotation.
Not too much awareness/combat skill involved. It is very much flavor of the month right now.

Tbh the flavour of the month seems noobeast.

In the last 2 weeks I didn't fight a single holo while roaming, just saw few at dueling spot, but they were afk and chilling.

Instead 40% soulbeasts, 20% hybrid mirages, 20% deadeye, rest 20% mix of warriors, core thieves, few guardians core and dh and few revs and reapers and some casual ele.

Lots and lots of new rank soulbeasts around who are having great success due to the noob friendly aspect of the profession, it's competing a lot for easyness with warrior and necro, and definetely is abused by a lot of noobs who get kills because how easy low risk and high reward the profession is.

And a soulbeast rekt in pieces any holo which struggles a lot with ranged pressure and condi pressure.If you wanna easy and safe 1500+ range mode go soulbeast, if wanna be melee range easy mode, spellbreaker, holo, reaper.

If you wanna be cancer go mirage or deadeye.

Top 2 would be any thief variant + mirage. They have great burst potential, but importantly, they have the best escape/stealth + mobility in the game, which is important for surviving outnumbered fights.

Next would be holo/spellbreaker/soulbeast - these are kind of OP all around, but they don't have the escape potential of mirage/thief, so you'll die to outnumbered fights vs good players.

Engineer : great 1vX potential, but can be kited quite easily if you dodge the few hard CC abilities and/or keep your distance.Plenty of sustain by blasting/leaping waterfields. Decent passive/active lifesaver (Elexir S), only thing that keeps it from being great is that you cant do any actions while shrinked except, ofcoarse stomp/res.

Thief: Simple Burst and rotations, but you need PERFECT timing vs enemies that are aware of your presence.Best mobility and stealth in game. Mobility and/or stealth are your "oh shit" buttons and where most playmaking is. (camping stealth is cheese though).0 Passive lifesavers unless you play Acrobatics traitline. If you miss your window of oppertunity = u dead unless you instantly reset/distance yourself.

Mesmer: Better burst than thief, partly because of it being AoE, and due to multiple hits makes it able to forego certain traits and boons like aegis sometimes.(pleb example/comparison) Thief Backstab gets blocked by guardian Aegis. Mesmer full 1shot combo only gets partly blocked. However you also blow more CDs.Worse stealth uptime, less mobility (still great mobility in combat). Clones can also be kited/killed which sets back damage "recharge" so to speak.

Ranger: Good damage, great health and surviveability options. Not that interesting abilitywise imo.

Spellbreaker: Doesnt die 1v1 (sometimes 1v2), but doesnt necissarily kill something neither.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Noha.3749 said:Spellbreaker: Doesnt die 1v1 (sometimes 1v2), but doesnt necissarily kill something neither.

Err Spellbreaker has like the highest damage of them all
while
not dying 1v1. I've nearly been 1-shotted when being careless against counter lol.

everyone can die in a 1 vs 1. but as roaming fights are not duells it is much harder to kill an elusive opponent like a mesmer or a thief than it is to kill a warrior. as the warrior has much harder time running away.the ones that think the warriors unkillable tho are usually the ones also getting killed by them.

@Dawdler.8521@"MUDse.7623"

You die to a warrior if you dont keep distance, most professions can keep distance aaaaand most players use a melee+ranged weaponsetup with some CC.You die to a warrior if you facetank it. Spellbreakers deal "good" damage at best and only if they are up in your face, which they rarely are able to be.Damage in WvW is kinda about what you are able to land, not about "this ability deals incredible dmg but rarely hits"...

I agree with a thief and mesmer being harder to catch due to being elusive, but once you do catch them / they missplay they are dead due to a lack of passive lifesavers.A warrior is naturally tanky with great mobility and great passive and active lifesavers.

A "Decent warrior" is harder to kill than a "decent thief/mesmer" due to passive lifesavers and naturally higher hp, and you cant really "tickle down" a warrior due to its sustain. There is a reason warriors are one of few that are able and kinda "supposed" to run zerker/marauder in blobwars while say, a mesmer or a thief "cant".

And yes im speaking from a thief perspective :expressionless:

@Noha.3749 said:@Dawdler.8521@"MUDse.7623"

You die to a warrior if you dont keep distance, most professions can keep distance aaaaand most players use a melee+ranged weaponsetup with some CC.You die to a warrior if you facetank it. Spellbreakers deal "good" damage at best and only if they are up in your face, which they rarely are able to be.Damage in WvW is kinda about what you are able to land, not about "this ability deals incredible dmg but rarely hits"...

I agree with a thief and mesmer being harder to catch due to being elusive, but once you do catch them / they missplay they are dead due to a lack of passive lifesavers.A warrior is naturally tanky with great mobility and great passive and active lifesavers.

A "Decent warrior" is harder to kill than a "decent thief/mesmer" due to passive lifesavers and naturally higher hp, and you cant really "tickle down" a warrior due to its sustain. There is a reason warriors are one of few that are able and kinda "supposed" to run zerker/marauder in blobwars while say, a mesmer or a thief "cant".

from a thief perspective i dont understand how you see a warrior hard to kill or even you easier to kill, but well..instant reflexes and running away when it procs to return when its off cd is in WvW a very common thief passive lifesaver btw.

@Noha.3749 said:@Dawdler.8521@"MUDse.7623"

I know how to die to a warrior, thank you very much. I practice alot.

I actually posted a clip a while ago in a thread where warrior mains where moaning over how completely weak they are and how nothing could kill even the most mediocre of mesmer players, even other mesmers, lol. Being one, I had to be snark about it. Since OP refuse to play mesmer it's not really relevant to the thread, but hey I can always suggest warrior.

@"Israel.7056" said:The way to think about it imo is what are the best counters to the most common roaming builds? If you take what everyone else is already taking then you're just mirroring which is a pretty faulty strategy imo.

Warrior is probably best overall, especially against "avrage" players and probably AS an avrage player (not saying you cant be great at warrior)

Mesmer/thief (not counting cheesebuilds) if you want some sports i.e. active gameplay, nuke or get nuked / little room for mistakes gameplay.Probably better if you "master" them.

thats IMO atleast.

@Legostyle.2718 said:I wanna solo roam, what is the best for this purpose? I refuse to play mesmer.

tbh, anything can solo roam i dont really understand why people say crap that class x and y are better..when u know what class X and Y are capable off u can counter play against it, ofcourse some classes have advantage over you in some situations but u have it in other.i mean today i wrecked 2 thiefs vs my zerk ele simply cus they where dumb.

i mean i knew they would eat me alive if i moved my ass so i squeezed my self into a narrow place forced em to come to me or fuck off.they didnt wanna come but i wasnt gonna move :D, eventually they come i just bombed the crap out of my self eventually we all got downed but my meteor finished one of em off quicker i rally and i dropped the other also.

obviously in same situation vs holosmith he would have wrecked me but he wouldnt be able to keep up in open field and i could most likely win it over a long fight there.its just how u handle situation most players die to greed not cus they dont know how to play(yes i die also to greed constantly on my thief. but its okay not saying im among greatest either :P) . if u have patience and little bit class knownledge u will be pretty much fine on any given class.

btw my ele is spec'd for blobbing

@Noha.3749 said:

@"Israel.7056" said:The way to think about it imo is what are the best counters to the most common roaming builds? If you take what everyone else is already taking then you're just mirroring which is a pretty faulty strategy imo.

Warrior is probably best overall, especially against "avrage" players and probably AS an avrage player (not saying you cant be great at warrior)

Mesmer/thief (not counting cheesebuilds) if you want some sports i.e. active gameplay, nuke or get nuked / little room for mistakes gameplay.Probably better if you "master" them.

thats IMO atleast.

I think LB/GS Soulbeast is much easier to run than Warrior (since you have access to range and melee as well as stealth). Sword/X is for more seasoned rangers.Another reason is that average players are terrible at using LOS. Easier to kite a Warrior since all you really need to do is run away.

Choosing fights is easier for rangers too. Take the LOS example. If the enemy doesn't LOS your LB attacks where they can, they're probably not very good and the chances of you winning is high. If the enemy does utilize LOS, you can re-evaluate whether or not you should continue fighting (especially if you just started to play Ranger).For warriors, once you engage, you're in it. Now it's a coin flip. If the enemy is worse, you win. If the enemy is better, you're dead.

Archived