The term 'kitten' is ridiculous. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The term 'kitten' is ridiculous.

Tangram.1805Tangram.1805 Member ✭✭
edited September 13, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

So instead, I hereby will be using the term 'puppy'.
Example: the kitten puppy matchmaking system.
Let it be known!

Tagged:
<1

Comments

  • kitten is what is written instead of bad words.

  • @Legostyle.2718 said:
    kitten is what is written instead of bad words.

    I'm quite aware and I know it has to do with forum language rules. It doesn't make it any less puppy silly. :)

  • Sigmoid.7082Sigmoid.7082 Member ✭✭✭

    To paraphrase Arkk:
    Moderation by replacing your comments with kitten. You deserve this humiliation.

  • @Tangram.1805 said:

    @Legostyle.2718 said:
    kitten is what is written instead of bad words.

    I'm quite aware and I know it has to do with forum language rules. It doesn't make it any less puppy silly. :)

    It is silly and sad that it is needed. I don't agree it is needed and am not so weak I cannot see things written I don't like... Words are just words. Actions are the only thing that matters and the action of using "kitten" instead of just use the words that are used is a weak response to an issue that doesn't even really exist. In as much if people could control themselves there would be no issue.

  • Krypto.2069Krypto.2069 Member ✭✭✭

    I L <3 VE this thread! :smiley:
    You guys are mother-puppy/kitten, HILARIOUS! :lol:

    Moonlight [THRU]

  • starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @jbrother.1340 said:

    @Tangram.1805 said:

    @Legostyle.2718 said:
    kitten is what is written instead of bad words.

    I'm quite aware and I know it has to do with forum language rules. It doesn't make it any less puppy silly. :)

    It is silly and sad that it is needed. I don't agree it is needed and am not so weak I cannot see things written I don't like... Words are just words. Actions are the only thing that matters and the action of using "kitten" instead of just use the words that are used is a weak response to an issue that doesn't even really exist. In as much if people could control themselves there would be no issue.

    But isn't it the culmination of actions of thinking about the words, typing the words, and ignoring spell check before hitting "Post comment" that lead to the current state of affairs? If actions speak louder then words, then Mechanical keyboards at the best public speakers in internet history.

  • derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

    this pupper got to be skrittin me

    I Have No friends, so I Must pug

  • There's something wrong with you animals. I love it.

  • I just don't like that it's cat-related. I already get these weird crazy cat lady vibes from GW2. What with the "catmander" tags, and the home instance cats, it feels like a bit of a forced joke. "Skritt", like people said in this thread, would be a much more fitting and funnier filter word.

  • Don't feel bad, my preferred pet is almost never an option. Puppies & kittens get all the glory while ferrets are outcasts :(

  • @Uden Reavstone.3426 said:

    @jbrother.1340 said:

    @Tangram.1805 said:

    @Legostyle.2718 said:
    kitten is what is written instead of bad words.

    I'm quite aware and I know it has to do with forum language rules. It doesn't make it any less puppy silly. :)

    It is silly and sad that it is needed. I don't agree it is needed and am not so weak I cannot see things written I don't like... Words are just words. Actions are the only thing that matters and the action of using "kitten" instead of just use the words that are used is a weak response to an issue that doesn't even really exist. In as much if people could control themselves there would be no issue.

    I agree, but it's not just an issue of control. Too many people in this world get offended/their feelings hurt by that stuff. Seriously, what ever happened to, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can't?"

    Hey are you that guy that never reads the last line of my emails???

  • @alphafert.6730 said:
    Don't feel bad, my preferred pet is almost never an option. Puppies & kittens get all the glory while ferrets are outcasts :(

    beastmaster seems to get along fine with them :)

  • @Tangram.1805 said:
    So instead, I hereby will be using the term 'puppy'.
    Example: the kitten puppy matchmaking system.
    Let it be known!

    Kitten > puppy. Why? Becuz can I hax cheezburger?

  • We also could use name of villains as swear words. This is Jokoing nonsense!

    Enthusiastic metagamer with an obsession for screenshots.

  • Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Well between the use of the word kitten on the forums, the Home Instance cats and the Catmander, it's plainly obvious that ANET, their staff, or maybe just the lead devs, are cat lovers.

    Nobody is perfect I guess :)

    That person at ArenaNet would be Gaile Gray...and I think that should end the discussion of why kitten is the word!

    Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zaklex.6308 said:

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Well between the use of the word kitten on the forums, the Home Instance cats and the Catmander, it's plainly obvious that ANET, their staff, or maybe just the lead devs, are cat lovers.

    Nobody is perfect I guess :)

    That person at ArenaNet would be Gaile Gray...and I think that should end the discussion of why kitten is the word!

    Are you calling her a puppy? That is just mean!

  • What the kitten

  • ExiledEste.9536ExiledEste.9536 Member ✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018

    Ahh, I see your point. I always thought it was a reference to something or had deeper meaning lol

  • It should be a forum option. "What animal do you want used for the language filter?" Vote for this lizard option now!

  • This thread is ridiculous.

    Make Dragon's Watch great again (by booting Rytlock out of it).
    Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Quoting me in your post is hazardous to your health.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

  • juhani.5361juhani.5361 Member ✭✭✭

    Sheesh-- I've actually taken to typing "kitten" myself. Plus, I'm using it a lot IRL lately "Kitten you, tailgating kitten kitten kitten."

    Now you want me to switch it to dogs. I swear, people are never happy these days. Shibe that!

  • @jbrother.1340 said:

    @Uden Reavstone.3426 said:

    @jbrother.1340 said:

    @Tangram.1805 said:

    @Legostyle.2718 said:
    kitten is what is written instead of bad words.

    I'm quite aware and I know it has to do with forum language rules. It doesn't make it any less puppy silly. :)

    It is silly and sad that it is needed. I don't agree it is needed and am not so weak I cannot see things written I don't like... Words are just words. Actions are the only thing that matters and the action of using "kitten" instead of just use the words that are used is a weak response to an issue that doesn't even really exist. In as much if people could control themselves there would be no issue.

    I agree, but it's not just an issue of control. Too many people in this world get offended/their feelings hurt by that stuff. Seriously, what ever happened to, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can't?"

    Hey are you that guy that never reads the last line of my emails???

    No, I'm not.

    The Charr shall rule!

  • @juhani.5361 said:
    Sheesh-- I've actually taken to typing "kitten" myself. Plus, I'm using it a lot IRL lately "Kitten you, tailgating kitten kitten kitten."

    Now you want me to switch it to dogs. I swear, people are never happy these days. Shibe that!

    Don't you mean, "Kitten that!"? 😂😂

  • True story: when I first started hanging around the GW2 forums ages ago, I thought "kitten" was just a local term for "kiting" for quite a while. I think I simply read a couple of comments where such substitution made sense, and just assumed it.

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I have seen other MMOs just put **** instead, but that is kitten 😝

  • @Ariurotl.3718 said:
    True story: when I first started hanging around the GW2 forums ages ago, I thought "kitten" was just a local term for "kiting" for quite a while. I think I simply read a couple of comments where such substitution made sense, and just assumed it.

    "Hey! KITTEN THE BOSS AWAY FROM THE GROUP YA NOOB!"

    The thought of someone yelling that makes me laugh harder than I have any kitten reason to

  • Majic.4801Majic.4801 Member ✭✭✭

    Kitten is a four-letter word.

    "Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside. Always follow what is true." --Sentry-skritt Bordekka
    "I am so much more important than whatever it is you're doing!" -- Explorer Hiffa
    "Harpy love hurts!" -- Shaman Shoba

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018

    @otto.5684 said:
    I have seen other MMOs just put **** instead, but that is kitten 😝

    I actually think kitten is more effective because it takes the force out of what people say.

    There's a brilliant video of The Count from Sesame Street where they bleeped out every time he says the word count and, because people are used to that being used to blank out swear words, it makes whatever he's saying sound incredibly inappropriate.

    Same with ****.

    If someone says "**** you stupid **** why the **** are you **** me with your **** ideas?" it's easy to fill in the swearing and it still has the same impact. Whereas "Kitten you stupid kitten why the kitten are you kitten me with your kitten ideas?" just sounds silly. Yes you can still work out what they were originally saying but it's not as automatic and so the immediate impact is gone and you're more likely to laugh them off than respond angrily.

    Also I have to admit I'm one of the people who will sometimes write kitten deliberately. Especially if I want it to sound silly, like "Oh kitten! How many times can I go over the same kitten cliff! When will I remember my kitten glider does not work in this instance?" (Not that that's ever happened to me of course. Certainly not every time I try to cut corners in the asuran home instance.)

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • @otto.5684 said:
    I have seen other MMOs just put **** instead, but that is kitten 😝

    Other companies do them. We do us. In this, I think we do us very, very well.

    @Danikat.8537 said:

    @otto.5684 said:
    I have seen other MMOs just put **** instead, but that is kitten 😝

    I actually think kitten is more effective because it takes the force out of what people say.

    There's a brilliant video of The Count from Sesame Street where they bleeped out every time he says the word count and, because people are used to that being used to blank out swear words, it makes whatever he's saying sound incredibly inappropriate.

    Same with ****.

    If someone says "**** you stupid **** why the **** are you **** me with your **** ideas?" it's easy to fill in the swearing and it still has the same impact. Whereas "Kitten you stupid kitten why the kitten are you kitten me with your kitten ideas?" just sounds silly. Yes you can still work out what they were originally saying but it's not as automatic and so the immediate impact is gone and you're more likely to laugh them off than respond angrily.

    I agree with you!

    Also I have to admit I'm one of the people who will sometimes write kitten deliberately. Especially if I want it to sound silly, like "Oh kitten! How many times can I go over the same kitten cliff! When will I remember my kitten glider does not work in this instance?" (Not that that's ever happened to me of course. Certainly not every time I try to cut corners in the asuran home instance.)

    What's this? I've never had that happen! ;)

    Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

  • Wintermute.5408Wintermute.5408 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018

    Hey, remember when Scourge was announced, creating sand kitten to manifest control over areas?

    That was the kitten best forum bug ever.

  • Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018

    @Wintermute.5408 said:
    Hey, remember when Scourge was announced, creating sand kitten to manifest control over areas?

    That was the kitten best forum bug ever.

    The Scunthorpe problem

    I've hidden the link because the article might not be suitable for work or for some people.

    The short version: it's impossible to devise a chat filter that recognizes all the potential situations, without false positives (kittenizing words that are okay) or false negatives (failing to kittenize all variations of spellings of words deemed inappropriate for the particular audience).
    And because of that, hilarity will inevitably ensue.

    "With great power comes not-so-great utility bills."

  • I enjoyed the article and have lived many of the situations therein. Thanks for sharing that link. (Thanks, too, for using the Spoiler tag, just in case opening it would be an issue for some of our members.)

    Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.