Question about a commander

HiWould you like to know if I become a commander I have the option to turn off the commander tag if you do not want people to see me as a commander and if I can create a squad of 50 people without having to have that commander tag enabled?

I ask this because there are certain events that I do not know well the mechanics of the events and so I did not like to have such a TAG connected so I wanted to know if it is possible to create a squad of 50 people and be in the squad without people seeing me as being one commander?

You certainly can. Think of the commander tag as the mentor tag, both can be turned on and turned off at anytime. The only difference between the tags is that commanders have additional squad features in PvE only whereas mentors are only there to help out new players and not for participating events in squads.

The commander may not know anything about the event itself so he may want players not to see him as a commander and find him a bad commander who does not know what he's doing there.

The bad of the tags for those who bought the commander book is that if the commander wants to learn how an event works he will not want the players to walk behind him to see the commander screw up behind lol

If you turn off this tag, does the commander symbol disappear from the head of my char?

A few weeks ago in the Dragon S. event the Commander who created the squad after the event started and having confirmed that everything was on the same map said that there was no will to lead and that was why he would leave the squad. :P

Apparently it is the only way to have the tag turned off and if they are already in the same world of the event nor need to be in squad.

@faruscapatinhas.9610 said:A few weeks ago in the Dragon S. event the Commander who created the squad after the event started and having confirmed that everything was on the same map said that there was no will to lead and that was why he would leave the squad. :P

Apparently it is the only way to have the tag turned off and if they are already in the same world of the event nor need to be in squad.

It is and yes you can rejoin the squad for a commander-less squad. The squad always remain as long as there are players in it, regardless of the commander. You just need a commander to start it.

One option if you don't know the event well is just to tell people that and ask them to help or be patient with you.

I've done many events where one person is commanding - using the tag to make a squad and show players where to go - and a second person is writing instructions in chat. This works both when the person who has the tag doesn't know the event very well and when there is a lot going on. For example during the Blighting Tree phase of Dragons Stand the commander needs to keep moving and targeting the pods so they cannot spend much time writing instructions. But a second person can volunteer to stand somewhere safe and write instructions so everyone knows what to do.

It is possible to have a squad without a commander, but it's complicated. You have to create the squad, get everyone to join, then leave and turn the tag off and then have someone in the squad invite you to join. Then you are just a normal member of the squad. But that means you cannot use any of the commander features. You still have squad chat and can see people on the map but you cannot edit the squad, assign lieutenants, place squad markers or send notifications. Also anyone else in the squad with a commander tag can turn it on and become the leader whenever they want.

@Danikat.8537 said:I've done many events where one person is commanding - using the tag to make a squad and show players where to go - and a second person is writing instructions in chat.

Yes, this works well, sometimes better because the commander can be on point all the time, while the 'scribe' or 'herald' can be anywhere (even dead).

I've also done the opposite: I've lead many events without turning on the commander tag. People tend to gravitate towards the tag rather than to the event. So commander-less, squad-less works better for example in Verdant Brink with random people. It theoretically would also work for Serpent's Isle as long as there were enough people. It's also often better for Joko's Invasions (since you need people to end up in three locations, not just one, and you rarely get 3 people willing to tag).

Archived