Client doesn't connect, sent ticket but I can't download game advisor.

Primree.2105

I've sent a ticket to get help with my connectivity issues and I've been asked to download Game Advisor, but the link redirects me to a page that doesn't work and I get an ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE code. I'm using Windows 10 and Google Chrome, but I've tried using other browsers and it still doesn't work.

Yesterday my system was updated. Could it be that the update is messing up both my client, that doesn't connect anymore, and that download page? I swear I'm going mad. I've had connectivity issues with the client since day one when I installed the game, around a month ago (I am a returning player), and even if I followed what their support page said to do, I still got continuous errors that I could only patch using the -assetsrv line, and even that was only a temporary solution. (the error is "Connection error(s) detected. Retrying..." when I launch the client, for anyone curious.) Today I can't access no matter what, even after trying all the IPs provided when I look them up using cmd.exe. That's why I'm suspicious of the system update: until yesterday, everything kinda worked, as long as I kept doing what I mentioned, but the situation was already pretty annoying.

Is anyone else experiencing some of the issues I'm having?

Depending on what link you were using, it does contain a few redirects. The actual link is:https://us.ncsoft.com/downloads/gameadvisor/GameAdvisor.exe

If you're not having problems with everything involving your connection, then it's unlikely that the update caused it. Firewalls can break after a major Windows update for example, but it wouldn't only affect some web pages.

If you regularly had to rely on -assetsrv to connect, your DNS provider is a problem. Switch to using 1.1.1.1 or Google DNS. Note that the IPs used with -assetsrv are not static and change regularly.

As a quick test, you can try opening http://origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com/latest64/101 (IP: 52.0.184.10) in your browser, which should lead to a text-only page with number, or an IIS welcome page for the IP. If you can see this, you should be able to use "-assetsrv origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com" or "-assetsrv 52.0.184.10". This is the primary patch server on the east coast US, whereas assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com is the CDN with servers closer to your location.

I was able to download Game Advisor eventually, but only using a VPN. Since without it I can't open the test link that you sent me, I'm assuming I can't connect to the Amazon servers: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/25950/cant-download-game-client, you were the one that provided those two test links in the last message btw, what a coincidence. I tried those too and that's how I came to this conclusion.

Point is, before today, even haltingly, I was able to connect. I changed those IPs regularly, as you said, and I think I switched to Google DNS correctly. I went to my connection properties through the control panel and changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 . I also opened the router ports as advised in the support pages.

Is there any way to get that connection back without having to dish out even more money for a VPN? I am not in a country where these things would be censored or blocked so I don't know what the issue could be. I am a returning player, and around a couple of years ago, when I last played, I had none of these issues.

EDIT: I changed my DNS to 1.1.1.1, and while the link still didn't work, the IP led me to the welcome page that you mentioned. So, following your answer on the other thread, I went and flushed the DNS using this command in the prompt: ipconfig /flushdns

But the client gives out the same error message, even after trying to use both the assetsrv lines (not both together of course).

It sounds like you're simply experiencing high packet loss. To confirm, use PingPlotter to trace one of the IPs, or simply ping assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com and dynamodb.us-east-1.amazonaws.com to see how many go through. For example:ping dynamodb.us-east-1.amazonaws.com -n 100

If packet loss is the problem, you can try complaining to your ISP, but unless the problem is within their network, they can't help you. You can only try to avoid the problem by trying to a find a VPN that takes you along a different route. For free VPNs, TunnelBear is a popular choice, while support has recommended proXPN in the past.

For other potential problems...

To reset your network protocols, open cmd.exe and enter:netsh int ip resetnetsh winsock reset

Open msconfig, select the boot tab and check safe boot with network under it, then OK and reboot to enter safe mode where all non-essential software will be disabled. Confirm that you still have a internet connection under safe mode. If you have a 3rd party firewall, you'll need to uninstall it if you don't have a connection. With the connection confirmed, try testing GW2. This will rule out most other software from interfering. To return to normal, open msconfig and uncheck safe boot.

I ran the ping test, these are the results I got:

Ping statistics for 52.119.233.88:Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 97, Lost = 3 (3% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 117ms, Maximum = 135ms, Average = 119ms

Doesn't look like I lost that much, but I'm not versed into these things so I'm not sure I interpreted the results correctly.

The VPN honestly doesn't seem a great solution. TunnelBear has limited MB for free accounts, if you want more you have to subscribe which is unacceptable since I'm already paying good money for my internet plan and had almost no trouble (other than what I had already specified, but we still have an old 20mb adsl, which is the best you can get in this area so I do expect some slowness, but definitely not THIS much) before yesterday. I shouldn't have to pay an additional service to be able to use what I'm already paying for. The other VPN is free and only has limited bandwidth, but again I shouldn't have to have to rely on such a service since it isn't safe.

I tried to boot in safe mode as suggested, and checked network as you said, but I couldn't connect to anything. There was no connection listed. Not sure if this is a problem or of I did something wrong (probably the second).

I have to say, however, that accessing the links you provided before with a different network (using my phone's network on my pc, for example) shows no trouble, so I'm pretty sure this is all due to my internet provider. If you have any other insight it would be greatly appreciated, otherwise please have my sincerest thanks for all the help you've given me. Next time you'll have a coffee or something like that, remember that there's someone out there who would greatly want to be able to pay for it as a thank you.

If you have another computer or device that can repeat the problem, skip to contacting your ISP. You said you couldn't download Game Advisor without a VPN or access origincdn for example, so if you can connect your phone to your home network and have the same problem on it, there's no point in continuing since it's an internet / ISP problem. In this case, start with the simplest test - reset your modem/router by unplugging the power for ~30 seconds.

@Primree.2105 said:Doesn't look like I lost that much, but I'm not versed into these things so I'm not sure I interpreted the results correctly.

Your ping was fine, but to test the route you're having problems with:ping assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com -n 100

If that completely fails, lookup a different IP using:nslookup assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com 1.1.1.1

If the ping for this one looks good, you shouldn't have a problem accessing the IP in your browser (to get the cloudfront error page), or using it with the -assetsrv option.

I tried to boot in safe mode as suggested, and checked network as you said, but I couldn't connect to anything. There was no connection listed. Not sure if this is a problem or of I did something wrong (probably the second).

It should only do that if your network connection relies on non-standard software, or you didn't select network along with safe boot. The previous commands for resetting your network protocols should have removed some of the basic software that can cause this, but the more advanced stuff takes over the drivers and has to be uninstalled.

Open the control panel > network adapters/connections > and disable everything except for your primary connection. For the primary connection, right click it and run through a diagnose/repair and test it. If that didn't do anything, re-install the device by opening the control panel > system / device manager > look under network adapters > find your adapter > right click uninstall, then reboot. It may automatically reinstall it after booting, but if not, open the device manager > scan for hardware changes > look for the device and update its driver.

The VPN honestly doesn't seem a great solution.

If you can use the phone, you don't need a VPN.

I can replicate the issue on both my phone and a relative's phone when connected at the same network as my PC. Opening this:
http://origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com/latest64/101
gets a me "Page isn't working - origincdn.101.arenanetworks.com didn't send data - ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" (my browser is in my native language so I'm translating), while opening the IP address 52.0.184.10 gets me the IIS welcome page. If I try to open these links using my phone 4g connection, the link shows me the text only page with a string of numbers, and the IP sends me to the same welcome page, as they're supposed to.

I already powered down my modem for a while a turned it on again, it changed IP and everything, and I still have the issue.

In any case, I had already contacted my provider this morning, hoping they can pull their heads out of their... you know... and resolve the issue. Which is gonna be a fuuuun conundrum on its own. But, out of curiosity, I still tried to test the address you sent me, this one:ping assetcdn.101.arenanetworks.com -n 100, in my command prompt. This was the result:

Ping statistics for 143.204.10.22:Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 20ms

So if I'm not wrong it looks like it's working. But for some reason I still can't download the game from the client, and trying to download again the client from the website (as a test) gives me the same error message I wrote you about above. I also noticed, however, that I'm getting this error message from many other web pages, without an apparent common reason. It's definitely an issue on my provider's side, I suppose. Thanks again, really, for your patience and helpfulness. Hoping I can get back to the game at some point :/

@Primree.2105 said:Out of curiosity I also tried swapping routers

Generally the device that connects directly to the modem has to be registered with your ISP to use your connection. How exactly that's done will vary by ISP, but it may be as simple as turning off the modem for a minute. If not, you'd probably need to access the modem's configuration page, which may require a direct connection from a computer.

If it's a combo modem/router, and assuming it's compatible with your ISP, you'd need to configure the modem/router with your ISP's account, assuming that's how your ISP does it. Generally the configuration page can be found on the address 192.168.1.1, or #.#.#.1 of whatever IP it's assigning you (cmd.exe > ipconfig).

A friend did the test, swapping devices and everything and she's more versed in this than I, the modem just showed no connection whatsoever. I'm pretty sure it was a combo modem/router as you said though, as is my own original modem. However, I managed to finally speak to someone at my provider's call center just now (after only a day of trying, joy!), and they're kinda sure that the issue is on their end, so I just gotta wait. I would have changed provider years ago if their line wasn't the only one available in my area ._. but thanks anyway.

Archived