Motivation

Ithilwen.1529

Dear ANET,

I know that PvP has been struggling. There is a simple solution.

It's not more rewards or special armor. It's actually much simpler that.

I'm currently 2 for 9 in placement matches.. having been hammered repeatedly. What would motivate me to play.. more than game gold or even RL cash... Is simply a little success. Even a self aware masochist like myself doesn't like being hammered repeatedly, sometimes by the same people.

Focus matchmaking on quality, not speed. Quit the duo queue, it's too much of an edge. Things will improve.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:I'm currently 2 for 9 in placement matches.. having been hammered repeatedly. What would motivate me to play.. more than game gold or even RL cash... Is simply a little success. Even a self aware masochist like myself doesn't like being hammered repeatedly.

You are in no way owed or guaranteed you wins. Regardless of how good or bad the matchmaking is.

Aren't you in silver 3? Duo que has existed in your ques for every season. Allowing 1600+ rated players to duo has very little to NO impact on your matches whatsoever. Do NOT falsely place blame on top players playing together as the reason for your apparent losing streaks. Even when duo que didn't exist, you still had issues. So, obviously, it's not 1600+ duo que's fault.

Matchmaking does not hand you wins. You shouldn't believe that you deserve them either. Get better, the wins will come naturally.

I solo qued for my placements and went 8-2 (should've been 10-0). Yet, I didn't ask matchmaking nor anet to give me them. I played well, tried hard to carry, and it paid off.

For the record, there are a lot more high rated players quing ranked now. So, if anything, match quality improved significantly at the top end while remaining mostly unchanged for sub 1600. Keep in mind, the more high rated players play, the less chance lower rated players have of being matched up against them. So, driving these players from the game by making their Ranked PvP experience frustrating with solo que will just harm you in the long run.

Also, if bringing duo que back for 1600+ was such a big issue for the lower divisions, you should all notice significant drops in your divisions. However, this is not the case. Instead, it is just average/sub-par players complaining "it's the game's fault" rather than trying to improve.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:are you able to record a match and upload it to youtube? if you can, post it and I am sure some will see if the issue lies in the mm, you team, or the primate at the keyboard

This is a good idea. I would much rather offer constructive criticism about Ithilwen's gameplay to help improve her experience rather than constantly see these types of complaint threads.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:I'm currently 2 for 9 in placement matches.. having been hammered repeatedly.
What would motivate me to play.. more than game gold or even RL cash... Is simply a little success.
Even a self aware masochist like myself doesn't like being hammered repeatedly.

You are in no way owed or guaranteed you wins. Regardless of how good or bad the matchmaking is.

You're wrong. Matchmaking exists for the purpose of making "fair" matches. If matches are indeed fair, it follows that a given player should WIN some of them.

@Ithilwen.1529 said:No, there is absolutely no probability that I will upload a game video. The last time I did that players asked me to commit RL suicide rather than play on there team... and I was mocked for months.

It's a large part of why I feel the way I do about people in PvP.

Aaaaaaaaaand that's why you went 2-9 on your placements.

I look forward to seeing another complaint thread in the following days where you proceed to ignore all of the people trying to help. Also, keep disregarding all of the suggestions you receive. I can see that it has been working out well for you. ^-^

@Ithilwen.1529 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:I'm currently 2 for 9 in placement matches.. having been hammered repeatedly.
What would motivate me to play.. more than game gold or even RL cash... Is simply a little success.

You're wrong. Matchmaking exists for the purpose of making "fair" matches. If matches are indeed fair, it follows that a given player should WIN some of them.

Matchmaking creates fair matches. However, you do not deserve wins, should not expect them, and will not receive them if you do not play well.

Also, you do win some of them. TWO out of your nine placement matches.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:I'm currently 2 for 9 in placement matches.. having been hammered repeatedly.

Matchmaking creates fair matches. However, you do not
deserve
wins, should not
expect
them, and will not
receive
them if you do not play well.

The reason for those losses is literally ANYTHING that isn't related to OPs build it own personal skill level.

This happens every season without fail. Every. Single. Season.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

Matchmaking creates fair matches. However, you do not
deserve
wins, should not
expect
them, and will not
receive
them if you do not play well.

The reason for those losses is literally ANYTHING that isn't related to OPs build it own personal skill level.

This happens every season without fail. Every. Single. Season.

Get good suggestions are irrelevant to the original topic. If someone is a lower tier player they should still get matched with similar skill level players. It is a fact that the matchmaker uses a wide skill gap to make teams and keep queue times down. The metric they look at is close average MMR for a team. However, the matchmaker starts adding padding to the individuals rating after 3 mins in unranked and 5 mins in ranked. This is the mechanic that high tier duos use to get easy matches. They queue when there aren't many other top players on, their padding lowers their combined rating and they get stuck in matches with gold/plat1 players with no counter on the other team. The opposite could be happening here if the OP queue times are high.

Best advice I can give is to reset your match timer after 3 mins in unranked and 5 in ranked.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Ithilwen.1529 said:No, there is absolutely no probability that I will upload a game video. The last time I did that players asked me to commit RL suicide rather than play on there team... and I was mocked for months.

I look forward to seeing another complaint thread in the following days where you proceed to ignore all of the people trying to help. Also, keep disregarding all of the suggestions you receive. I can see that it has been working out well for you. ^-^

Perhaps if you try to help in a constructive way people will pay attention. Since you are a long time follower of the OP's post you would also know that they don't have full range of motion in all their hands. Sure they could do better playing a build like PP thief where you don't need to hit as may buttons, but the system should still match people of similar skill rating together.

@Faux Play.6104 said:

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:No, there is absolutely no probability that I will upload a game video. The last time I did that players asked me to commit RL suicide rather than play on there team... and I was mocked for months.

I look forward to seeing another complaint thread in the following days where you proceed to ignore all of the people trying to help. Also, keep disregarding all of the suggestions you receive. I can see that it has been working out well for you. ^-^Perhaps if you try to help in a constructive way people will pay attention. Since you are a long time follower of the OP's post you would also know that they don't have full range of motion in all their hands. Sure they could do better playing a build like PP thief where you don't need to hit as may buttons, but the system should still match people of similar skill rating together.

JAPwb1p.png?1

I offered her the opportunity to get the feedback of a high rated PvPer. She refused and will no doubt continue to complain in the future.

If she turns away the suggestions people give to help, the loss streaks will continue. It's up to her to realize that.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:No, there is absolutely no probability that I will upload a game video. The last time I did that players asked me to commit RL suicide rather than play on there team... and I was mocked for months.

I look forward to seeing another complaint thread in the following days where you proceed to ignore all of the people trying to help. Also, keep disregarding all of the suggestions you receive. I can see that it has been working out well for you. ^-^Perhaps if you try to help in a constructive way people will pay attention. Since you are a long time follower of the OP's post you would also know that they don't have full range of motion in all their hands. Sure they could do better playing a build like PP thief where you don't need to hit as may buttons, but the system should still match people of similar skill rating together.

JAPwb1p.png?1

I offered her the opportunity to get the feedback of a high rated PvPer. She refused and will no doubt continue to complain in the future.

If she turns away the suggestions people give to help, the loss streaks will continue. It's up to her to realize that.

I think what OP trying to say is,... Let's say if you consider her a low division player, why is she not matched against another equally low ranked/low division opponent????If she getting matched against high ranked players, has a loss streak, how is that fair??? And l2p won't happen all of a sudden... And she seems to be playing for quite a long time... So she mightve been aware of most l2p stuff...

The thing is , anyone who strives to win, even low skill, should not get loss streak... Coz if it is, it can only mean, all other gw2 pvpers are pro and you are the only one who is at the very bottom ... And that's not true...

Edit: idk how she got that continuous loss streak... Maybe bad time to login??? Very low population??? Matched against same team over and over again???

@Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

JAPwb1p.png?1

I think what OP trying to say is,... Let's say if you consider her a low division player, why is she not matched against another equally low ranked/low division opponent????If she getting matched against high ranked players, has a loss streak, how is that fair??? And l2p won't happen all of a sudden... And she seems to be playing for quite a long time... So she mightve been aware of most l2p stuff...

The thing is , anyone who strives to win, even low skill, should not get loss streak... Coz if it is, it can only mean, all other gw2 pvpers are pro and you are the only one who is at the very bottom ... And that's not true...

Edit: idk how she got that continuous loss streak... Maybe bad time to login??? Very low population??? Matched against same team over and over again???

Chances are, she IS getting matched up against equally low ranked opponents. I've been quing ranked in high plat/legend consistently every season and I have NEVER seen Ithilwen with thousands of matches played.

INB4 "You might que at separate times." No, I see her online many times while I'm quing. This is not the case.

The thing is, the system doesn't care how badly you want to win. The only thing that matters is skill. Just because you want to win, doesn't mean it magically happens.

And, for the record, loss streaks can happen regardless of division:

1. https://imgur.com/a/gafF4
  2. https://imgur.com/a/vY9sh
  3. https://imgur.com/a/k3VKh

This whole complaint hinges on the belief that she is being placed in unfair matchups. Having seen the OP post on these forums on numerous occasions throughout multiple seasons, I find this hard to believe. I find it more believable that she gets carried by her team up to a rating she doesn't belong, until she becomes such a hindrance to her team that she can no longer be carried and then rides the losing streak back down to where she belongs.

I can see no possible solution for this on Anet‘s side. It is up to OP to improve her skill and /or build (still running PU Core Mesmer yes?), but based on her habbit of consistently blaming the game, I doubt that will happen either. Again, I'm not really sure there is something Anet can change to help out here.

I would like to add however that if you play on NA servers, then I would be more than willing to duo queue with you. That would give you one less toxic player to deal with and may give you some more wins, though it could also possibly inflate you to a rating you do not enjoy playing in. I don't mind losses, I'm just there to farm pips and have fun.

Dont think is a skill problem that we have here, but a build problem...we all know that risk/reward on this game is kind of messy and some specs can get great results even when players have no idea on what they are doing...so in lower divisions, this kinds of builds are kings(like good old full trapper DH). Ithilwen is know to run core mes(not sure why she does it lol), so maybe if you change your professions/build you might get better results...something a little easier and stronger, like Reaper for example, or maybe radiance guard.

@Shaogin.2679 said:This whole complaint hinges on the belief that she is being placed in unfair matchups. Having seen the OP post on these forums on numerous occasions throughout multiple seasons, I find this hard to believe. I find it more believable that she gets carried by her team up to a rating she doesn't belong, until she becomes such a hindrance to her team that she can no longer be carried and then rides the losing streak back down to where she belongs.

I can see no possible solution for this on Anet‘s side. It is up to OP to improve her skill and /or build (still running PU Core Mesmer yes?), but based on her habbit of consistently blaming the game, I doubt that will happen either. Again, I'm not really sure there is something Anet can change to help out here.

I would like to add however that if you play on NA servers, then I would be more than willing to duo queue with you. That would give you one less toxic player to deal with and may give you some more wins, though it could also possibly inflate you to a rating you do not enjoy playing in. I don't mind losses, I'm just there to farm pips and have fun.

If the OP has queue time long enough to add padding, the matchmaker will put them in unbalanced matches. If you are near the bottom skill wise of players online, the padding added to your rating will rate you higher than you actually are. This will end up putting you in matches you are more likely to lose. In ranked you need to be in queue longer than 5 mins.

I've also noticed that if you spam matches you are more likely to end up with a streak of either wins or loses. I think tat is just due to the limited number of players, and where you fall in that range.

@Faux Play.6104 said:

@Shaogin.2679 said:This whole complaint hinges on the belief that she is being placed in unfair matchups. Having seen the OP post on these forums on numerous occasions throughout multiple seasons, I find this hard to believe. I find it more believable that she gets carried by her team up to a rating she doesn't belong, until she becomes such a hindrance to her team that she can no longer be carried and then rides the losing streak back down to where she belongs.

If the OP has queue time long enough to add padding, the matchmaker will put them in unbalanced matches. If you are near the bottom skill wise of players online, the padding added to your rating will rate you higher than you actually are. This will end up putting you in matches you are more likely to lose. In ranked you need to be in queue longer than 5 mins.

I've also noticed that if you spam matches you are more likely to end up with a streak of either wins or loses. I think tat is just due to the limited number of players, and where you fall in that range.

I understand the possibility of this occurring during off hours, but again, having seen the OP post on these forums on numerous occasions throughout multiple seasons, I find this hard to believe. She is also in a bracket with considerably more players. She also suggests that the MM is sacrificing the quality of matches for faster queue times, which leads me to believe that she is not being stuck in queue long enough to get that padding either.

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:I'm currently 2 for 9 in placement matches.. having been hammered repeatedly. What would motivate me to play.. more than game gold or even RL cash... Is simply a little success. Even a self aware masochist like myself doesn't like being hammered repeatedly, sometimes by the same people.

Focus matchmaking on quality, not speed. Quit the duo queue, it's too much of an edge. Things will improve.

An easy fix is to remove the "soft reset" which averages your last season's rating with the midpoint (I believe it's 1200). It forces players at the extremes (in the OP's case. the bottom extreme) to play most - if not all - their placement matches outside of their proper rating.

It has nothing to do with duo queue.

@Exedore.6320 said:

@"Ithilwen.1529" said:I'm currently 2 for 9 in placement matches.. having been hammered repeatedly.
Even a self aware masochist like myself doesn't like being hammered repeatedly, sometimes by the same people.

An easy fix is to remove the "soft reset" which averages your last season's rating with the midpoint (I believe it's 1200). It forces players at the extremes (in the OP's case. the bottom extreme) to play most - if not all - their placement matches outside of their proper rating.

Even a self aware masochist like myself doesn't like being hammered repeatedly, sometimes by the same people.

It also resets your volatility which will cause you to skip hundreds of rating points at the end of each match at the beginning of your rating period. This all contributes to bad matches.

Archived