How can I play with my friends on BG if the server never opens.

Warlord.9074

Been waiting all year to get in and still can't. Can't figure out why since it's not even number 1 anymore.My server I am on currently was locked and we were in t4. That makes no sense. Other servers are locked and have links but BG has none and its not even the best anymore. It's just makes no sense. I can't even play the game.

It's a common misunderstanding that servers being locked have anything to do with score. It's entirely about ANet moving around building blocks so that each 'side' has similar average participation available. As long as a lot of people on BG play WvW, it doesn't matter if they are first or last; BG will remain closed.

Once restructuring takes place, the building blocks will be a lot smaller, so it will be a lot easier to create matchups with similar participation histories. In the meantime, if you want to play with your friends, ask them to move to your world.

@Blodeuyn.2751 said:The group of you can move to an open server. Not sure what being linked has to do with your complaint.

If Blackgate's population drops low enough it will open. Anet will sort the links out again at the end of October

this^^

This is how you play with your friends. They can move to an open server and you can meet them there.

Otherwise, continue to wait.

So looking at the match-up in T1 here and they are leading.. easily.. without a link. So as we all expected, their player base is still considerably larger than other servers + links. They can never open.. in fact, they should take about 400-500 active players on their server and force them out (and lock them down) on other servers.

An anet dev said they were monitoring server population once every week, I was told by someone that this wasn't being done and they were only checking every couple months.
That explains why servers that have no links can tank to t4 before relinks and get a link, or mega alliances can stack dead servers, and that server will stay open for months. I don't think server statuses are being updated regularly like they are supposed to. I also think some servers are being artificially locked, or artificially left open just because. Seems to a lot of people some servers are getting links just because it will help them beat up on other servers to facilitate cheap transfers.All of this contradicts what I was told but what happens all the time also contradicts what I was told too.I thought i remember an anet dev saying that they cannot balance server so that they have a similar average participation. And that data assumes that people who just login to WvW to talk the the Trading post are the same as people who played for 6 hours. which explains why 2 servers that anet thinks are the same average participation one is in T1 and the other is in T4. A server full of casuals isn't the same participation as a server full of diehards even if they have the same pop. In reality thats not the same level of participation despite what a spread sheet might show you.

@Warlord.9074 said:An anet dev said they were monitoring server population once every week, I was told by someone that this wasn't being done and they were only checking every couple months.

That explains why servers that have no links can tank to t4 before relinks and get a link, or mega alliances can stack dead servers, and that server will stay open for months. I don't think server statuses are being updated regularly like they are supposed to. I also think some servers are being artificially locked, or artificially left open just because. Seems to a lot of people some servers are getting links just because it will help them beat up on other servers to facilitate cheap transfers.All of this contradicts what I was told but what happens all the time also contradicts what I was told too.I thought i remember an anet dev saying that they cannot balance server so that they have a similar average participation. And that data assumes that people who just login to WvW to talk the the Trading post are the same as people who played for 6 hours. which explains why 2 servers that anet thinks are the same average participation one is in T1 and the other is in T4. A server full of casuals isn't the same participation as a server full of diehards even if they have the same pop. In reality thats not the same level of participation despite what a spread sheet might show you.

There's any number of ideas conflated here.

• They don't rebalance every week; they rebalance every other month. They might or might not open/close worlds in between.
  • They look at a weighted average of time spent in WvW. So people who spend 5 minutes twice a day using Obsidian Sanctum vendors isn't counted the same as someone playing 1x/week for an hour.
  • It's mathematically impossible to provide exactly even matches. There are two few worlds to combine appropriately. Even if there were, given the size of world, the variation just from people having RL and missing some days is enough to undermine one or overcount another.
  • Server rank has nothing to do with whether a server is linked or not, whether it's closed or not. It affects who gets linked with whom, but it's not the only factor.

This difficulty in balancing is exactly why ANet is restructuring the mode, so that we all get divided into smaller groups that can be mixed & matched more readily.

Regardless, none of this matters for right now. There's almost no chance that ANet is going to divert resources from worrying about the long term to worrying about short term match ups. We've lived with awkward world sizes and mismatches queues and dominating servers for this long; we can live with it for a while longer.

@Warlord.9074 said:An anet dev said they were monitoring server population once every week, I was told by someone that this wasn't being done and they were only checking every couple months.

Population is updated every week on a Monday US time. Relinks based on current population are done every 2 months. BG is not being artificially inflated they have huge numbers still when their players log in, that it why they are still locked. If you want to play with your friends convince them to move servers.

Ok when I said, "just login to wvw to use the trading post" I am speaking in exaggerated terms. I mean logging in to wvw just to kill a veteran creature for a daily isn't participation. Sever rank is an indicator of who gets a link or who should be open. Maybe thats not a determining factor but it defiantly a symptom of not having "average participation" with other servers. If a server can be in T1 server with a link that is open all of the time, can stay in t1 than why does it get links over and over and never closed but when lets say a T3 server who cannot even make it out of t3 will be locked and refused a link. Math is bad. Try actually playing your game for once instead of looking at spread sheets.

I mean there have been servers that were locked and didn't get a link for months and they needed to be unlocked and get a link. Where are those servers now? dead servers where all the guilds and players left them because their server was being treated unfairly with zero justification. Locked servers in T4 with no links. Now become dead servers because of bad math.

Or then atleast admit hey we are not being faithful to our statistics and math, or we are just ignoring that and picking winners and losers.

@"Warlord.9074" said:Ok when I said, "just login to wvw to use the trading post" I am speaking in exaggerated terms. I mean logging in to wvw just to kill a veteran creature for a daily isn't participation. Sever rank is an indicator of who gets a link or who should be open. Maybe thats not a determining factor but it defiantly a symptom of not having "average participation" with other servers. If a server can be in T1 server with a link that is open all of the time, can stay in t1 than why does it get links over and over and never closed but when lets say a T3 server who cannot even make it out of t3 will be locked and refused a link. Math is bad. Try actually playing your game for once instead of looking at spread sheets.

I mean there have been servers that were locked and didn't get a link for months and they needed to be unlocked and get a link. Where are those servers now? dead servers where all the guilds and players left them because their server was being treated unfairly with zero justification. Locked servers in T4 with no links. Now become dead servers because of bad math.

Or then atleast admit hey we are not being faithful to our statistics and math, or we are just ignoring that and picking winners and losers.

BG is in tier 1.... and currently in second place....

Now part of that is kaineng dropping to T2, but yeah....

Archived