Newbie's questions about scrapper. — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Newbie's questions about scrapper.

Hello. After around 80h I eventually got my first character to 80 lvl and decided to buy expansion for trading post and elite spec. I don't like Holosmith's design at all so I went with HoT despite knowing that Holo is supposed to be much more viable. I want to start playing Scrapper as soon as I earn a little more hero points for him, but I have a couple of questions as I'm still new and hardly understand many things about the game and builds.

1. Weapons. Is scrapper supposed to use hammer or stick to core weapons? I tried to look up some guide but all I was able to find was metabattle list of builds, which tbh hardly helped me answer my questions as they focus on holo builds anyway... What is even more confusing is that some of the few Scrapper ones just use rifle or pistols and mostly kits, so pretty much most of the scrapper stuff is left out and I'm just sitting here wondering why even bother picking it at this point.

2. Role. While I'm aware that most of the 'meta' guides recommend going holo and scrapper is said to be a little behind I want to understand what it is supposed to do in various gamemodes. I think I'm interested about pvp/wvw, but I would like to learn something about scrapper in pve too. Should I go melee dps? Is it at least semi-viable to 'tank' with scrapper? I've heard that zerg wvw support is not bad for him. Any advice?

3. Crafting. Kinda related to first question. As soon as trading post will unlock for me I would like to level up my crafting and eventually craft both armour and weapons. Well, it's quite simple with armours, just go with leather working and you'll be fine I guess? But as I don't know which weapon I'll be using I don't really know which crafting profession I should pick up.

Bonus question: For casually running around the open world how early I can start using it without having it fully unlocked? Gathering all these hero points will probably take a while.

Thanks for any replies. I would appreciate any advice or links to resources that can help me understand what I can do with scrapper.

Comments

• Peutrifectus.4830Peutrifectus.4830 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2018

1) all 3 work so long as your gear/traits suit them

2)function gyro + other stuff can make you good at stomping/ressing/team support so I tend to go full healer for raids, partial healer-support for pvp/WvW or tanky brawler. (Got different gear)

3)I went for leather and huntsman. Can make armour, pistol and rifle (think I made my shield too? Can't remember) then I just picked.hammer from the first ascended chest I got

Casual open world running around. Take flamer, juggernaut and mass momentum and smile all day :)

Sparkr's Wonderful World of Engineering - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEONFRaJV2u2f12ytXEir9A

• Zex Anthon.8673Zex Anthon.8673 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2018
    1. Hammer is possibly the best designed weapon engineer has right now. It has access to cc, defense, mobility, and finishers, along with decent damage. However, you will notice the lack of a good ranged alternative, since that is something kits cannot provide right now.

2. The only game mode where Scrapper outshines Holosmith is WvW due to the super speed application and thunderclap is a decent ranged stun to lock people in winds of disenchantment. Function gyro isn't that great in large zerg fights, but your job will still be primarily support for the condition cleanse and healing. In solo roaming WvW/PvP Holosmith fairs better due to superior mobility and burst dps. However, in small roaming parties, a support scrapper brings more to the table, and function gyro starts to become more significant. As for PvE, a tank/support scrapper may work for low level fractals and dungeons, but as you approach upper tier PvE content, like CM fractals and raids, scrapper stops being viable. You can't compete with druid or firebrand for support, you cant compete with chronotank, and both core and holosmith provide higher dps.

3. I would choose leather worker, for obvious reasons, and huntsman for weapon. Ascended gear is so easy to get now, its cheaper to get them without crafting using grandmaster marks. Huntsman would let you craft HOPE and The Predator, which I think look the best for the class. But, if you like hammers and want your armor to look metallic, grab weapon smithing for The Juggernaut.

For casually running open world you can start using the spec as soon as you unlock it. You wont be as strong and you will have to use core utilities until you unlock more scrapper utilities. However, you will get to experience character progression, which is a rare thing in the end game.
  • Dace.8173Dace.8173 Member ✭✭✭✭

Weapons. Is scrapper supposed to use hammer or stick to core weapons? I tried to look up some guide but all I was able to find was metabattle list of builds, which tbh hardly helped me answer my questions as they focus on holo builds anyway... What is even more confusing is that some of the few Scrapper ones just use rifle or pistols and mostly kits, so pretty much most of the scrapper stuff is left out and I'm just sitting here wondering why even bother picking it at this point.

Trait line. This is true for more than Scrapper but sometimes the weapon and the utilities aren't as useful as the trait line that the Elite offers you. When you look at a build from metabattle they are basically looking at the best possible combinations of traits, weapons, and utilities. Sometimes that includes making use of that Elite's weapon and utilities. Sometimes it doesn't. The reason why metabattle focuses on Holo is that Holosmith is basically stronger right now. Metabattle isn't a place to go for builds in general, but a place to go to that offers builds that are supposed to be current with the meta environment of the game. Sites that focus on the meta side of things will always be slanted towards what the community feels is good as opposed to just providing you general build guidance.

You're free to use the hammer and the utilities. The hammer gets dropped just due to the fact that Engineer can't weapon swap and so ranged weapons can have a better use than melee weapons, especially if you were to say go up against Scourges, in which case you want to neutralize them from afar. With a hammer, you'd be forced to get in close to them where they are their strongest. Doesn't mean you can't use the hammer or the utilities if you want to use them, just that it isn't meta at present. You can always ask around the forums for off meta builds that such sites won't focus on.

Role. While I'm aware that most of the 'meta' guides recommend going holo and scrapper is said to be a little behind I want to understand what it is supposed to do in various gamemodes. I think I'm interested about pvp/wvw, but I would like to learn something about scrapper in pve too. Should I go melee dps? Is it at least semi-viable to 'tank' with scrapper? I've heard that zerg wvw support is not bad for him. Any advice?

As others have said, you'd likely want to focus on support roles. Since you're still learning I wouldn't be caught alone often. Keep mind that you can use your gyro to heal folks and also stomp someone without having to put yourself in danger. So keep that in mind.

Crafting. Kinda related to first question. As soon as trading post will unlock for me I would like to level up my crafting and eventually craft both armour and weapons. Well, it's quite simple with armours, just go with leatherworking and you'll be fine I guess? But as I don't know which weapon I'll be using I don't really know which crafting profession I should pick up.

Leatherwork for sure, as that's for Medium classed armor. For weapons ...... if you want to stick with hammer, then go Weaponcrafting. It will also be useful if you decide you want to swap to Holosmith and go Sword/Shield. However, if you want more bang for your buck go with Huntsman. You can craft rifles, pistols, and harpoon guns with Huntsman and those three weapons are the bread and butter of core Engineer. Also, make use of this crafting guide. It will save you the most money when it comes to crafting. Unless you are in a hurry I recommend using the Normal Guide, as it saves you money.

Bonus question: For casually running around the open world how early I can start using it without having it fully unlocked? Gathering all these hero points will probably take a while.

In open world you should be fine. You'll be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to your traitline but that has never really been a problem I've had while moving around in open world core Tyria. You may face trouble in HoT (and PoF) maps as it's a harder set of maps and you may just want to go with a core build that makes complete use of what you already have. But, if you join an HP train in HoT then you should be fine. Safety in numbers and all that jazz. In PvP it won't matter. PvP unlocks everything for you so you can start doing PvP matches and make full use of Scrapper. It's also worth noting, in WvW you can earn HP's. All you have to do is get your particpation level to 3 and then when you earn a chest grab the Testimonies of Heroics. Those can be turned in for a scroll that unlocks a random HP point in HoT. You can also gain ToH when you level up in WvW. It's safer than traveling in HoT and can sometimes be faster if there is no one in HoT to help you with some of the tougher HPs. Aside from all of that, check out Scrapper videos on Youtube.

• Zychuu.7294Zychuu.7294 Member ✭✭
    edited September 16, 2018

Thanks for all the replies. I'll wait a couple of more days for my trading post to unlock and try to get into armour crafting first. I'll probably try to get into using hammer when I'll earn a little more hero points.

It's also worth noting, in WvW you can earn HP's. All you have to do is get your particpation level to 3 and then when you earn a chest grab the Testimonies of Heroics. Those can be turned in for a scroll that unlocks a random HP point in HoT. You can also gain ToH when you level up in WvW.

This is big. I realised that I had some of these chests I got when I tried to just mess around WvW and unlocked some more hero points and wanted to get more, but at the same time I realised that I got screwed over access to more of these chests by the fact that I switched server, literally today, to play WvW with my friend. Unless I misunderstood what I found googling around, apparently I'm stuck not getting pips for up to 2 weeks now... feels a little too long.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.