Do you prefer 1st Gen over 2nd Gen Legendary's

Hadi.3167

Do you believe 1st Gen or 2nd Generation Legendary's are better? Personally I think 1st generation. I feel as though 2nd Generation lacks creativity, most of them don't follow what we believed they would all have; which were the Arm effects. The footfalls were primarily 1st Generation best aspect but 2nd generation is lacking in both creativity and footfalls. The last few Legendary releases do not have visible arm effects( I.E Claw of Khan-Ur / Verdarach ).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like both. The thing I love the most about second gen legendaries is that they can't be bought, so there's no skeptics out there like "Oh you just BOUGHT that one durrhururr."While on the other hand, some of the second gen leges are uh...kind of dumb-looking. I also have no idea how they're going to one-up eternity as far as legendaries go.

@"Swing.6439" said:I like both. The thing I love the most about second gen legendaries is that they can't be bought, so there's no skeptics out there like "Oh you just BOUGHT that one durrhururr."While on the other hand, some of the second gen leges are uh...kind of dumb-looking. I also have no idea how they're going to one-up eternity as far as legendaries go.

As far as i know there will not be 2 Legendary Greatswords such as Eternity which is composed of 2 other Legendary's ( Sunrise / Twilight). It will most likely work just like Sharur where it will change depending on the time of day. I'm hoping the next 2nd Legendary GS will be based on the 6 Gods or the Elder Dragons. That would be a nice theme. Godsword!

I don't like any of them because I find the designs either excessively elaborate, childish or flowery. I don't mind that all those exist but so far I haven't seen a legendary that made me go "wow, I want that". On the upside, it saves me a ton of work so I'm ok with that. I'm perfectly happy with some of the other skins that are available in the game.

There's probably a few more gen 1 legendaries that I prefer the look of, but some gen 2 ones like the shining blade look nice. But overall I don't use any legendaries as I don't like the footfalls or replacement projectile effects (on staff for example), and most are far too flashy or clunky looking to suit my characters, so I just use ascended with a skin I like. (if you transmute a legendary to a different skin does that get rid of the replacement projectiles and footfalls? It'd just be nice for stat switching)

I like some of each generation, I dislike some of each and I've never considered arm effects to be important.

What's important to me is the overall look, mainly how the weapon itself looks and for ranged weapons how the projectiles look. Footfalls are a consideration but only in the sense of whether I like them or not. I find the Bifrost's footsteps very hard to spot, especially on colourful terrain, but I still like the legendary as a whole and it doesn't bother me at all that the footsteps don't stand out. But if there were noticeable footsteps I didn't like that might put me off. (It's not as straight-forward as 'more flashy/more effects is better' either - I really like the Claw of the Khan-Ur because it's so understated for a legendary. It's perfect for my thief, even more so because he's a charr.)

Honestly the only time I really notice the arm effects is at Wintersday when every so often there will be a bug in the jumping puzzle where the arm effects show even though the weapon is hidden and I spend a while wondering why my character's arms are glowing pink, then I remember it's part of the Dreamer's effects.

Shining Blade > BoltBinding of Ipos > The MinstrelXiuquatl > MeteorlogicusAstralaria > FrostfangNevermore > BifrostEureka > MootChuka and Champawa > The DreamerVerdarach > The HowlerH.O.P.E. > Quip

vs

Sharur = The JuggernautKlaw of the Khan-Ur = The IncineratorFlames of War = RodgortHMS Divinity < The PredatorShooshoodoo < The Flameseeker Prophecies

Generation 2 wins overall. I think the reason it doesn't in a lot of player's minds is because Eternity/Sunrise/Twilight feel so dominant and defining in terms of GW2's standout weapons. The way World of Warcraft has Frostmourne, the Warglaives of Azzinoth, Ashbringer, and Thunderfury, Eternity/Sunrise/Twilight will go down as the most memorable iconic weapons from the Guild Wars franchise. And when the generation 2 legendary weapons started coming out there was a 123 punch of Eureka, Shooshoodoo and the HMS Divinity which are the least interesting of the bunch for most players, Eureka mostly because so few builds run mace to any major degree. But once you put those to aspects aside, I think pound for pound Gen 2 just comes out on top.

I have to wonder how the team is going to try to top or sidegrade the Eternity trio for Greatswords. The only thing I can think of is something like "Tooth of Kralkatorrik" and it's literally a Monster Hunter style tooth of kralk attached to a hilt and like two times the size of your player character.

I think the gen 1 leggers are more generic, mostly coming down to a relatively standard weapon with some interesting glow/particle effects (with some exceptions like the bows). On the other hand the gen 2 have much more of a theme/identity that helps to set them apart. However that also leads to more risk of you disliking a specific weapon because they can be so extreme. Overall I think the gen 2 aproach is better, but there are plenty of gen 1 leggers that I prefer over their gen 2 counterpart.

Archived