Diminishing Returns Patch Note

notebene.3190

Fixed an issue in which events with no rewards counted against diminishing returns.

Could anyone expand on what this is and/or why this is? With an example of before/after patch?

The vague things:1) 'against diminishing returns' - is that a double-negative? DR is a 'negative' thing, so something that counts 'against' that is a 'positive' thing? Or is it 'counted towards diminishing returns'?2) 'no rewards' - is a reward in this context a bag, or just a bronze-gold w/ karma/xp?

It's a bit vague, and any time I see something about DR, I get worried. I have an issue with DR in a few places where I park alts to do WBs each day. If I don't do 'something else' too many days in a row before that boss, I stop getting rewarded.

Three examples of things I can do to make sure I don't get stung by it:1) Jungle Wurm: do one of the 3 things in the first wave and/or help kill the 3 things that pop after that (and get DE credit of some kind: bronze-gold) before the wurm comes.2) SB: do one of the 3 pres, or (what I like to do) participate in the first wave of portals before SB, which is a separate event with it's own bronze-gold reward.3) Shatterer (sadly the abbreviation is kitten): do one of the two pres before he shows.

If I do 'not' do that at least once like every 3 days (I try to do it every day, and if I miss one day, it seems okay) and just do the boss, I get stiffed on rewards. I've always felt that to be completely silly, but I digress.

Is this patch note related to some/any of that? If so, which direction, and more importantly...why?

As we know, if you repeatedly do the same activity for a period of time, DR kicks in and you start to lose rewards (apart from gathering iirc). It seems that certain events with no reward were being counted towards your characters' tally in the DR tag. Tbh tho, i can't think of any 'events with no rewards' outside of some story instances, otherwise what is the incentive for doing the event?

@Funky.4861 said:As we know, if you repeatedly do the same activity for a period of time, DR kicks in and you start to lose rewards (apart from gathering iirc). It seems that certain events with no reward were being counted towards your characters' tally in the DR tag. Tbh tho, i can't think of any 'events with no rewards' outside of some story instances, otherwise what is the incentive for doing the event?

Okay, so hopefully this has 'nothing' to do with my little problem, and they didn't introduce something that makes my situation even worse...like having to walk a few miles away and kill 15 bogs between every boss each of my alts is camped at.

Thanks for the input!

@Ariurotl.3718 said:Could also be some of those events popping up to signify changes in the status of some map metas. They have never given any rewards by themselves, they're just there to inform you about meta steps.

If that is the case it shoudn't be that big of a deal unless you are afking in the map for hours otherwise the completion of those events would be interleave with other events which would normally avoid DR.

@notebene.3190 said:

@Funky.4861 said:As we know, if you repeatedly do the same activity for a period of time, DR kicks in and you start to lose rewards (apart from gathering iirc). It seems that certain events with no reward were being counted towards your characters' tally in the DR tag. Tbh tho, i can't think of any 'events with no rewards' outside of some story instances, otherwise what is the incentive for doing the event?

Okay, so hopefully this has 'nothing' to do with my little problem, and they didn't introduce something that makes my situation even worse...like having to walk a few miles away and kill 15 bogs between every boss each of my alts is camped at.

Thanks for the input!

I used to go into wvw and play awhile take afew camps, sentry or towers to get rid of dr.

• 3 weeks later...

@notebene.3190 quoted:Fixed an issue in which events with no rewards counted against diminishing returns.

For example, does killing worthless spiders in Bitterfrost count towards map DR ? Killing raptor packs also gives zero loot, are they exempt from DR tally ?

Mad King's Labyrinth is coming back, so after last year's fiasco, we might as well be aware of it again.

@keenedge.9675 said:

@notebene.3190 quoted:Fixed an issue in which events with no rewards counted against diminishing returns.

For example, does killing worthless spiders in Bitterfrost count towards map DR ? Killing raptor packs also gives zero loot, are they exempt from DR tally ?

Mad King's Labyrinth is coming back, so after last year's fiasco, we might as well be aware of it again.

Event DR is a wholly separate system from Loot DR.

Event DR is the reduction in gold, karma, and experience from doing many events in a short period of time.

Loot DR is the reduction in drops from enemies killed, if many enemies in the same area are killed repeatedly over a period of time.

Archived