Official Feedback Thread: LWS4 Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Official Feedback Thread: LWS4 Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us

edited September 18, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Hi,

Please share your high-level feedback about Episode 4 of Living World Season 4: A Star to Guide Us. If you can provide a synopsis here, that would be appreciated, maybe around 50 words or so?

Bug reports can go into a Bug Report Thread specifically intended for the reports of any issues or bugs. It is posted in the Bugs Subforum and linked in the previous sentence.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager: ArenaNet
Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

Tagged:
<1345

Comments

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't know, the game keeps crashing... certainly not the best episode from that point of view.

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

How did you get to the map if the first instance causes crashes?

We never had this issue before they started to bottleneck maps behind an instance.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Adul.1520 said:
    As a solo-only player, I find it pretty irritating that there's a raid announcement in the upper-right corner of the HUD that I can't get rid of. I will never play raids unless you make a separate difficulty level intended for solo players. Until then, that announcement is only a nuisance to me.

Raids were never designed to be solo content but a team effort. I hope you have a lot of popcorn...

Fàther (TK)
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• Hello! love the new story.. really interesting, Just a quick one.. would it be possible to have a Portal to teleport us to Sunspear Sanctuary? that would be a really cool addition i think :D

• There is one. Just finish the achievement.

• OK, I'm not sure who is writing or pacing some of this stuff, but here is something that is REALLY, and I mean REEEEEAAALLY getting under my skin:
    Hero gets called in to handle a thing.
    Hero arrives and begins handling said thing.
    Bad guy starts some stuff and hero fights bad guy (and sometimes needs to learn a new tactic just to fight them)
    Just as hero is about to finish bad guy, the bad guy stands up and goes nope.
    Bad guy suddenly becomes biggest badkitten in the world with some unstoppable something that locks everyone down
    Bad guy gives pithy speech
    Random other NPC comes in from stage right or left and one shots bad guy and saves the day (Or enter in any number of other deus Ex nonsense)

It got old ages ago and now its just upsetting and feels like lazy writing.

At this point i'm fully expecting the major climax to all of this being that we will go through absolute hell just to face down Kralk, fight in some hour long keyboard smashing cluster that will require the twitchiest of reflexes to even do, only for his health bar to return to full and just before he eats us after telling us how futile our attempts are to beat him, Bubbles will come from the depths of the ocean with a Largos and Zomoros on its back and bite Kralk's head off before going back into the ocean and Aurene will absorb his power, become an elder dragon then go to sleep after warning us that they will rise again.

And don't tell me none of that is plausible because if you do then you obviously haven't been playing this game lately.

I get it, you really wanted to have Koss show back up.
    That wasn't the way to do it.
    That one part (after having just dealt with the Aurene saving the day and eating joko bit) has literally soured me to this story step before even finishing it.

Greck Howlbane - Firebrand
    Sorrow's Furnace For Life

• @YoukiNeko.6047 said:
    There is one. Just finish the achievement.

Oh, I had a brief look at the achievements but I must of missed it, thanks though

• Oh sorry to hear that, Ive had no issues so far. And and finishing the story part of this patch I must say it is great! ;p Hope it works for everyone now ^.^

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Menadena.7482 said:
    How did you get to the map if the first instance causes crashes?

We never had this issue before they started to bottleneck maps behind an instance.

Yea..i uh didnt have a crash and was able to get in, that sucks to hear though!!

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• daydreamer.3092daydreamer.3092 Member ✭✭
    edited September 18, 2018

Thanks a lot for this part of the story!

i was one of the people who rushed through PoF and the former part of this Season without caring about the story very much, but this Episode was actually fun to play and i didnt skip any of the movies in between. This part i will replay with several characters of mine (long ago ;) ). Especially i did like the spider boss, the character and story development after the first meeting and the various sourrounding. some minor bugs, but i think you know about it
    THX

• This is not high-level feedback but I also want to say that it's really cool to see some areas from GW1 again. Thanks. On the negative side, the loot drops and rewards are terrible. A bunch of "unidentified gear" (yawn) and literal junk like broken claws. It's not worth fighting for by any means. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough but so far any rewards are super-disappointing.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Potentially the best map ever. Even while everything feels like walking through butter, very sluggish because of the high ping, it is a lot of fun to explore this so far.

Logging out forever.

• Rhyse.8179Rhyse.8179 Member ✭✭✭

Log in, immediately crash. Not even a new zone; just a character sitting in a random old zone.

Cannot give feedback if cannot play.

• Sephylon.4938Sephylon.4938 Member ✭✭✭✭

are the mobs there intended to be over lvl 80?

I am a giant tomato filled with love. I have come to sell you a house made out of pancakes.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sephylon.4938 said:
    are the mobs there intended to be over lvl 80?

Mobs level increases with the amount of players due to upscaling. Chances are a horde of people ran by and scaled them up but didnt kill

Logging out forever.

• Relogged to try story again after finishing map exploration. Can't log back into the game :(

I'm The DEVIL.

• Lucius.2140Lucius.2140 Member ✭✭✭

Hi, will be blunt:
    Reconsider your release schedules.
    The episode has good things but the bugs can ruin the experience and shade the good things.

For the Blood Legion! - 11 charr

• I'm finding a lot of lag and high ping. Even get some game freezes during the movies

Also during From the From the Ashes quest I know I'm a thief which is one of the squishiest classes in the game but I think being taken out in 1 hit by a sniper is unfair especially when you don't know where to go

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

@nobleboivin.4102 said:
    I'm finding a lot of lag and high ping. Even get some game freezes during the movies

Also during From the From the Ashes quest I know I'm a thief which is one of the squishiest classes in the game but I think being taken out in 1 hit by a sniper is unfair especially when you don't know where to go

Thief complaining about deadeye. I guess I can sleep happy tonight.

And btw, the deadeye uses a laser beam so just follow it. You need to line of sight your way there.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

bug on the storm tracking, keeps saying im out of instance and die

• Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Yeah just keep trying, eventually it will let you through lol.
    They had to have known just how bad the escape portion of this instance was when the episode was finalized for release. Fairly disappointing considering the "emotional" aspect of that part of the instance being marred by this garbage.

Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

• killermanjaro.5670killermanjaro.5670 Member ✭✭✭

Here's my feedback based on completion of the episode and full map completion, but I haven't taken part in all events/any metas on the map yet.

As others have said the raid advertisement on the top right of the screen is annoying, give us the option to hide it (or just don't have it).

Didn't experience a single crash during the whole of map completion or in any of the story, so nice work on a smooth and stable release.

The map was good, nice layout and good variety of terrain.

It felt like a lot of areas of the map had lower enemy density/aggro than PoF maps and a few that have been since, this is a very welcome adjustment as it gives a bit of time to check the map when exploring.

Hearts were ok, filled reasonably quickly.

Theses bits below contain spoilers, I've marked them up as such, but also warning here as well, don't click unless you've finished the story.

Sun's Refuge - glad I didn't get hyped about this as it seems a fairly underwhelming, haven't yet don't the collections but it looks like it'll just add a few 'trophies' similar to the instance under Tarir. Maybe more might be added over time, but certainly still a way off player housing.

Story was generally entertaining, exploring the reality pocket rift bits was particularly fun.

The deadeye stage, I guess great for trying something different, but it just didn't really feel right with how this game plays, It just felt clunky with normal dodges and swiftness (no stealth on my ele, aside from bits high enough to glide). I think that sort of stage is best left for a 3rd person shooter with proper dash between cover mechanics.

The part where Blish is planting the tracker seemed like it was meant to spawn enemies but it didn't (so easy achieve though :P).

The escape with the raptor part was absolutely awful! It seemed completely unnecessary and only there because someone remembered mounts were a thing so they'd better try and cram in a last minute obligatory mount section to tick a box.

The final story part, you'd BETTER find a way to cure Taimi soon!!!!! I will lose all interest in any future story arcs if anything happens to Taimi! Best character in the game and I won't forgive Anet if you let anything happen to her!

• @Justine.6351 said:

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Yeah just keep trying, eventually it will let you through lol.
    They had to have known just how bad the escape portion of this instance was when the episode was finalized for release. Fairly disappointing considering the "emotional" aspect of that part of the instance being marred by this garbage.

managed to do it, had to go far left at the start and i got past that first tunnel

• I've tried everything suggested to finish the Storm Tracker story line and it still just keeps killing me and sending me backwards, even after all dialogue is finished as some suggested I still can't go further, says I'm leaving the map and I'm following the arrow.

• Thank you ANet !!! What a brilliant map(if you are not DCing)
    Re: Storyline problems : it isn't; as I can wait. I don't see the need to finish new game content in 3 hours.

And that ginormous dragon event, wow !!! :) love the purple lift ;)

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

@SaraBaracuda.3081 said:
    I've tried everything suggested to finish the Storm Tracker story line and it still just keeps killing me and sending me backwards, even after all dialogue is finished as some suggested I still can't go further, says I'm leaving the map and I'm following the arrow.

Apparently hugging the left or right side of the instance gets you by? Way I ended up doing it was to use a revive orb after dying under the arch. Had to stay on foot to charge forward a ways before I could mount again but I was able to proceed. Make sure you have an orb on you, or wait for the fix they've promised is coming soon.

I really really enjoyed this episode. I thought the vision from Aurene would be the climax (and wow, without narrative or dialogue it was perfectly clear what it was showing and it had tears welling in my eyes, I think it's the single most impactful on me cinematic you've done) and then it just kept going. I adored the mechanic in Deadeye from the Ashes once I figured it out, I didn't really mind all the death plummets as I figured out the trippy puzzle past the Storm Tracking bug. Now I have a zillion collections to do. I haven't even seen all the map events yet! The unexpected cameos of a couple of special message-carriers pleased me too. Oh, and I was laughing so hard at the part with Rytlock's fur.

Hopefully that is all vague enough not to spoil anything for those not yet through the story.

• X T D.6458X T D.6458 Member ✭✭✭✭

-Story is going off in a bunch of different, and weird plot lines. Lot of emotion in this episode, sometimes it was good, sometimes misplaced.
    -Rewards are terrible.
    -Hearts are absolutely tedious and just terribly boring, and the vendors offer nothing of use.
    -I got a rare for mapping...
    -Magic vendor has nothing exclusive to the map like trinkets, so little reason to replay or collect currency.
    -Mobs are annoying and boring to fight, they seem to just be hp sponges.
    -Map is ok but nothing exciting about it.
    -Final story instance was bugged, if you follow the arrow when trying to escape you would get a prompt about returning to the playable area and be killed, having to restart at a checkpoint. You can get through it, by going around the arrows near the edges of the playable area.
    -New mastery is uninspired, better than the last one which is completely useless though.
    -Not sure what the incentive is to work on upgrading Suns Refuge. There are rewards but aside from the scroll they can be acquired from the magic vendor.
    -The new armor skins are not properly dyeable? As I understand it you can only dye the glowy parts?
    -Braham is more likeable now, except the spider fight /facepalm.

Please Save Taimi. She is one of the few npcs that I actually like.

BG

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@X T D.6458 said:
    -Story is going off in a bunch of different, and weird plot lines. Lot of emotion in this episode, sometimes it was good, sometimes misplaced.
    -Rewards are terrible.
    -Hearts are absolutely tedious and just terribly boring, and the vendors offer nothing of use.
    -I got a rare for mapping...
    -Magic vendor has nothing exclusive to the map like trinkets, so little reason to replay or collect currency.
    -Mobs are annoying and boring to fight, they seem to just be hp sponges.
    -Map is ok but nothing exciting about it.
    -Final story instance was bugged, if you follow the arrow when trying to escape you would get a prompt about returning to the playable area and be killed, having to restart at a checkpoint. You can get through it, by going around the arrows near the edges of the playable area.
    -New mastery is uninspired, better than the last one which is completely useless though.
    -Not sure what the incentive is to work on upgrading Suns Refuge. There are rewards but aside from the scroll they can be acquired from the magic vendor.
    -The new armor skins are not properly dyeable? As I understand it you can only dye the glowy parts?
    -Braham is more likeable now, except the spider fight /facepalm.

Please Save Taimi. She is one of the few npcs that I actually like.

Shes gonna end up being a golem, im pretty sure of it at this point, probably gonna be wrong, but hey, itd be better than nothing i guess.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2018

Amazing story (it made me cry), long and enjoyable missions.
    Nice big map which is FUN to explore! No confusing PoIs and stuff. Thank you.
    I haven't started working on the new armor skins yet but they are appreciated!
    New mastery's cooldown is kind of long.
    Edit: Sun's Refuge feels lackluster, I want real player housing to decorate it with tons of items. :(

• tekfan.3179tekfan.3179 Member ✭✭✭

-nice story and cinematics
    -bad launch
    -new map is too full of dismount-mechanics and -mobs. I had no fun exploring it
    -I dislike that Z can shoot the player, even during jackal-teleports
    -I like that the game now has checkpoints in story-instances
    -can't play further than the first half of storm tracking since the playable area is bugged

<1345
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.