Zojja: Can we get some closure?

Devildoc.6721

It's been years since we rescued Zojja and I understand her experience was traumatic but Logan, despite still in convalescence, is active, and, we're kind of moving on without her. I get there's some sort of issue with the VA but if it goes on for years, wouldn't it just be better to write Zojja out? Have her die instead of just be in this limbo phase forever?

@Devildoc.6721 said:We should just have a scene of smothering her to put her out of her misery like Jack Nicholson's character in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest after he got lobotomized. Zojja wouldn't want to live like that, she's too proud, too fierce.

I gotta say the image of the hardy never-wrong commander picking up a pillow and suffocating the little asura made me laugh really hard, thanks

@Dante.1763 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Afaik she was rumored to be a vegetable. If she is, she probably aint gonna be slaying dragons anymore.

has more to do with her VA being unable to voice her than anything else. they planned on returning her earlier in Season 4 actually.

They could hire a new voice actor...give her a raspy voice or no voice at all, with the backstory being that the event traumatized her and affected her ability to speak or damaged her vocal chords. Maybe she could even program a golem to do the talking for her!

@Dante.1763 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Afaik she was rumored to be a vegetable. If she is, she probably aint gonna be slaying dragons anymore.

has more to do with her VA being unable to voice her than anything else. they planned on returning her earlier in Season 4 actually.

That is no excuse, though, if she’s really still hospitalized you don’t need a voice actor.Or, her voice is so bad any female can do it

@Kodiak.4213 said:

They could hire a new voice actor...give her a raspy voice or no voice at all, with the backstory being that the event traumatized her and affected her ability to speak or damaged her vocal chords. Maybe she could even program a golem to do the talking for her!

I HATE ad-hoc explanations for recasts. It's insulting. We are an audience; you (or ANet) are putting on a show. These things happen. Don't insult us by pretending we'd freak out if there wasn't some explanation. Suspension of disbelief may be a thing, but we also know it's just a game in the end. Trust in the audience to adapt.

Nevermind. This is the internet. The audience here is... not trustworthy. Sigh.

@Rhyse.8179 said:If they can't get Felicia Day anymore (IIRC she stopped doing VA work) just recast the character and get on with things. It's an artistic media product, not RL. These things happen. The show must go on.

@Dante.1763 said:

You're both wrong, it has nothing to do with Felicia Day not doing VA work(she still does), it also doesn't have anything to do with her being unable to voice Zojja.  The entire thing is just schedule related as Felicia Day herself as stated she'd love to voice Zojja more, it's just that they can't get their schedules to coincide.  Yes, originally Zojja was going to be Ep2 but they didn't want to follow Ep1 with another episode that also had an Asura in a distress situation, so that part was cut. If and when they decide to bring Zojja back, they shouldn't have any problem getting Ms. Day to do the VA, as long as they can arrange the schedules, that's the biggest problem in getting her to do the voice(she loves doing Zojja's voice).

I don't like recasts, I mean I get it has to happen if they absolutely have to continue on with that character and the original actor dies or refuses or is too old to reprise the role of a younger version of their original character (I understand recasting Obi Wan Kenobi for the prequels and Han Solo for the standalone space western), but I'd rather write the character off if possible or find a way for the original actor to be represented if it's the last episode/last film in a series (IE how they kept PSH in the last Hunger Games film when he died after shooting the previous one, or how they digitally added Peter Cushing's image to Rogue One rather than recast him). I'd hate to see Leia be recast for Episode IX. I'd rather her be written off or just have Carrie's image be digitally added in post. CGI'ing a character in can be cheesy too but in some cases I just feel that an actor kind of "owns" a role. I feel that the Destiny's Edge and main Dragon's Watch characters are that way. I wouldn't want them to be recast.

@Kodiak.4213 said:

Stephen Hawking anyone ?

I like Felicia Day as Zojja, but if she cannot record anymore for whatever reasons it might be time to find a new voice actress, just like what they did with Rox, unless there is something that elude me.

If the voice acting isn't the issue, then Zojja absence is purely due to the narrative team not wanting to use this character, like couch Marjory for instance.

@Rhyse.8179 said:If they can't get Felicia Day anymore (IIRC she stopped doing VA work) just recast the character and get on with things. It's an artistic media product, not RL. These things happen. The show must go on.

I agree, and I'm sure they could find someone who sounds like Felicia Day. If they were really good they could even write in the voice change as part of whatever happened to her, since we haven't heard from her at all since then

This has always been one of the big problems with GW2 story telling in my opinion. Certain plot elements are just dropped and never touched on again for years (or ever) for no particular reason, or characters just disappearing without a trace for months or even years.

The fact we haven't seen Zojja in years is just bad writing imo. At the very least we should've gotten some updates on her current status, the last one was over a year ago.Same goes for the Pale Tree, Last time we saw the Pale Tree she was in critical condition, never heard from again, she could be dead for all we know.

@"Zaklex.6308" said:You're both wrong, it has nothing to do with Felicia Day not doing VA work(she still does), it also doesn't have anything to do with her being unable to voice Zojja. The entire thing is just schedule related as Felicia Day herself as stated she'd love to voice Zojja more, it's just that they can't get their schedules to coincide. Yes, originally Zojja was going to be Ep2 but they didn't want to follow Ep1 with another episode that also had an Asura in a distress situation, so that part was cut.

All we really know is that she says she'd love to return and ANet says they'd love to have her back. If we take them at their word(s) (and I see no reason not to), then that still leaves all sorts of other possibilities.

It could be schedule alone: Day is certainly busy enough and ANet only brings VAs in during certain calendar windows. It could also be compensation: Day (probably) commands higher pay now than she might of 6 years ago, especially for shorter commitments — she might simply want more to make it worth while to tie herself up for 2-3 solid days plus 2-3 makeovers, whereas in the past, she might have been happy for any work. And it's also possible that she wants more meat in the role, not just "to provide closure," and maybe ANet agrees (they just haven't found the right story yet).

@"Windu The Forbidden One.6045" said:The fact we haven't seen Zojja in years is just bad writing imo. At the very least we should've gotten some updates on her current status, the last one was over a year ago.Same goes for the Pale Tree, Last time we saw the Pale Tree she was in critical condition, never heard from again, she could be dead for all we know.

I dunno, "bad writing" seems extreme. There's only so much room in the story and the community gets cranky if ANet just pays lip service to recognizing some plot hole. So I think it's fair to say that it's a noticeable gap in the cohesion of the story and it feels odd. But I prefer no dialogue about Zojja or the Pale Tree (or the heir to the throne or any of the other things we haven't heard about), then a bunch of throw-away lines like we've seen glossing over things.(To be clear: I'm not arguing they've handled it well. I just prefer nothing than to handle it poorly.)

Archived