(HELP) How to: Better FPS on Mac 64-bit Client.

Adam.9572

Hi.

Does anyone know how to get better FPS on the 64-bit Client?I used to play on the 32-bit Client and there was this post on reddit:https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3nbh4a/how_to_instantly_boost_fps_on_mac_client/

However, they say to "open Contents>Resources>Preferences" but this is what's available on the 64-bit's folder:https://imgur.com/a/rAFpz

I posted the following in a similar thread on Reddit a few days ago:

I would start with the lowest settings and slowly tweak settings. If your computer is fairly new and has a discrete graphics card, a lot of settings can be set in the medium to high range. Intel-based graphics may need to be set lower. Older machines will likely need to be set lower as well.I would avoid running at Retina scale (the one matching the logical resolution is often just fine), and you probably don't need anti-aliasing.Performance killers tend to be the same between Windows and Mac.

@Jon Olson.8439: Thanks for taking the time to answer the question, but tbh, to people comfortable with tweaking config files in app bundles, suggesting "start with the lowest settings" is practically an insult... It would be more (intellectually) honest to say, for example "The new GW2 64 bit mac client automatically optimizes the memory it uses" and/or "the 64 bit client no longer uses the settings text file that used to be found in the 32 bit client." The question specifically asks if there is a way to override the application's memory allocation, with such a config file or through command line modifiers. For example, I have 64gb of RAM and 8gb of VRAM on two AMD GPUs but the game plays and feels almost the same way as on my laptop with 8gb RAM and 1.5gb VRAM. It would be nice to be able to tell/force the game to use a lot more of that memory capacity, and hence the need to ask the same question as @adam.9572

What?!

The settings config is in the GUI now. There isn’t a translation layer hidden in the client anymore translating the windows app to OS X, so there’s literally nothing to configure.

Jon’s comment was sound, effective advice. My 5K iMac just literally arrived this morning and I will be using Jon’s advice to set it up,

I’m sorry there aren’t any text files for you, but calling Jon’s comments insulting is, IMHO, the insult!

• 2 weeks later...

@"Jon Olson.8439" said:

I posted the following in a similar thread on Reddit a few days ago:

I would start with the lowest settings and slowly tweak settings. If your computer is fairly new and has a discrete graphics card, a lot of settings can be set in the medium to high range. Intel-based graphics may need to be set lower. Older machines will likely need to be set lower as well.I would avoid running at Retina scale (the one matching the logical resolution is often just fine), and you probably don't need anti-aliasing.Performance killers tend to be the same between Windows and Mac.

Thank you for your reply, Jon.I run the game on the lowest settings alternating between the Character Quality and Character Limit as to Low and Lowest. I also set the game to "Open in Low Resolution". This made the game ran how it previously did on the 32-bit. However, the loading times are still very long. As a comparison, it took me ~30 seconds to load in the Molten Duo fractal. And in PvP, when I'm about to enter a match, it takes me nearly a minute to load.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

@"Ithuriell.3187" said:While the load times are ok, even with the lowest settings, i have average 12 FPS. While the change of your config file helped with the 32 bit client, now there isn't that option, there isn't anything else to improve our performance..

There isn't much to be done. Even the newest macs like mine only use openGL 4.1 - which is vintage 2010, Direct X is not supportted because microsoft has a monoploy on that. The only way to get performance that would be equal or better than running windows on your mac via bootcamp would be to have an OSX Native Gw2 APP coded to use Metal for the graphics API - such a change would however require a big rework of GW2. As much as I would love to see it happen - I don't think they're going to do it. Done with Metal - a new mac should outperform windows running GW2. That said allowing more than one processor core to be used for GW2 would have a major performance impact as well and would help some with the graphics. I really hope they work toward that.

some info on metal....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

• 3 months later...

Archived