A Star to Rant about (Spoilers of a Sort)

This living story chapter makes me Mad, Sad, Irritated and then more mad.It isn't the map, I mean lots to do even if you aren't an achieves hunter, plenty of events popping off like every 5 minutes somebody there wants/needs something done. I kind of hoped that Refuge would have crafting-tables and things in Racial Home ported over but, at the very least I wanted bank access, nope same thing with Eye of the North Monument. My hope is the Dev's in the future will add these things or give me a collection to get them added.I dislike that every time you use the Portal Scroll or Spearmarshals' Plea to go into the Sanctuary you are always sent to the very beginning even after you pay to get the Pact tunnel opened up. (Oh look need to talk to the Armor NPC again for another Monument, get on Petey crash into a wall <Yeah, I still Sux at driving lol>)Now for the story itself....All well and good up to that Sniper and devs trolling me on my Rev, went in as Herald got the handy dandy tip about Solace, (I am expecting this might be a bug), but she shot right through it so nope and Double U Tee Eff is with that range? What is with these exploding branded showing up? This part didn't make much sense to me story-wise, I mean priestess of Balth and exploding branded?At this point, I went out and started demanding Blish to give me his arm.Blish, ah if this is your A-Game we got different ideas on what A-Game is. He turned off his higher functions just to be a battery? Maybe a little hope here, I seem to remember him being turned off in Lich, probably why he turned the higher functions off, so if the elder dragons only eat Magic and Kralk can swallow in one bite both Blish and the sword, well won't speculate any further, just tired of Dev's playing Russian Roulette with my NPCs.Tiami, feel a little more connected to this one, probably not as much as I should, missed all the beginning with her, only met up this one at Drytop, missed the Scarlet stuff.All in all I liked it, got some premo shrooms, a really fluffy tail, (Grin) as a Guildwars 1 player appreciated that I could pound on Kormir wish Mehnlo was there too, just was hoping Refuge at least had bank and crafting access, yeah, yeah buy the bank access and use the invitation to Lilly, I normally go to Ebonhark because those places take forever to load now

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno what to make of Sun's Refuge at all. Aside from needing to go there for collections, I don't see the point of it and then apparently there are no plans for doing more with it. Seem just an annoyance to make it an instance than just a part of the map with these so called upgrades that only becomes available via the story. Then put the waypoint right in there.

But the sniper thing. I can win that fight on my guardian who has no speed boosts equipped of any sort. People just need to learn to dodge and time when they run from cover to cover it seems to me.

@Xenon.4537 said:Sometimes I wonder if people even want GW2 to be a video game... Seems like they want the story spoon-fed to them with no gameplay or effort put in. Might as well go watch Netflix instead.

Well, on Netflix you don't get to choose who your protagonist is and what they wear and how their hair and make up are done. You also do not get to go through the story and world with free movement and you do not have any control whatsoever. I suppose your point is that some people want it all too easy and I agree with you on that. But easy gameplay is still gameplay and nothing like watching a movie or series on TV.

She wasn't even that hard. :/

Several low points of this episode are the bad writing, bad acting, bad delivery, and the bad timing of reveal. The feeling that Fortnite/Infinity war/Rift/Mr & Mrs Smith all put together in this one episode is just conglomerate of clichés. Jahai is basically Plankerton and the Sun's Refuge is Storm Shield. What's next, GW2 Guild Royale?

Taimi's condition could have been delivered with little hints and not as "I'm sad about Blish, and oh by the way, I'm dying." This is not Taimi. Taimi will restlessly find a way and this could be a hint that her condition is worsening. Or something that makes her really busy all of a sudden and everything has to be rushed since we're running out of time. The difference between show and tell.

And Braham, for Pete's sake, really? Way to emasculate a proud Norn and kill this character.

This is not the Braham my character hated who also wants to take over leadership. Not the same Braham who through his pride, my character is developing to be a great leader. Really? Scared of spiders? This is a weak and pathetic Norn who claims to be Braham. Where is the Braham that pushes my character to be great?

Episode 1 and 3 are still my favorites so far. This new direction is not very promising.

@"Sir Vincent III.1286" said:She wasn't even that hard. :/

Several low points of this episode are the bad writing, bad acting, bad delivery, and the bad timing of reveal. The feeling that Fortnite/Infinity war/Rift/Mr & Mrs Smith all put together in this one episode is just conglomerate of clichés. Jahai is basically Plankerton and the Sun's Refuge is Storm Shield. What's next, GW2 Guild Royale?

Taimi's condition could have been delivered with little hints and not as "I'm sad about Blish, and oh by the way, I'm dying." This is not Taimi. Taimi will restlessly find a way and this could be a hint that her condition is worsening. Or something that makes her really busy all of a sudden and everything has to be rushed since we're running out of time. The difference between show and tell.

And Braham, for Pete's sake, really? Way to emasculate a proud Norn and kill this character.

This is not the Braham my character hated who also wants to take over leadership. Not the same Braham who through his pride, my character is developing to be a great leader. Really? Scared of spiders? This is a weak and pathetic Norn who claims to be Braham. Where is the Braham that pushes my character to be great?

Episode 1 and 3 are still my favorites so far. This new direction is not very promising.

Seriously no ide ahow you get any of those impressions

Well I liked playing through the story as it had a better flow and was more about story than combat (of which we have plenty already) so for me it was dosed right. However, I do agree with you about Braham. That was uncharacteristically mushy. Taimi's reveal also was poorly timed but it wasn't because she was sad but because Blish had you pass on the message about not keeping anymore secrets. But yeah, it was done in a way that felt rushed, almost as an aside.

As for the general writing, well, I liked this chapter a lot better but it never was really great. Vanilla was the worst though. The thing is, I never got attached to any of the characters in the story, so I don't really care who dies or not. Blish's situation is probably the one I find saddest. I probably just like him cause he's more to the point and rational but oh well. For me it was just nice that the story had a good flow and the boss fights weren't the usual slugfests. That made it quite enjoyable for me.

@Gehenna.3625 said:I dunno what to make of Sun's Refuge at all. Aside from needing to go there for collections, I don't see the point of it and then apparently there are no plans for doing more with it. Seem just an annoyance to make it an instance than just a part of the map with these so called upgrades that only becomes available via the story. Then put the waypoint right in there.

But the sniper thing. I can win that fight on my guardian who has no speed boosts equipped of any sort. People just need to learn to dodge and time when they run from cover to cover it seems to me.

You can get in it without being in the story. Just walk up to the portal outside of story and you’ll be given the instance prompt.

@"Balthazzarr.1349" said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:I dunno what to make of Sun's Refuge at all. Aside from needing to go there for collections, I don't see the point of it and then apparently there are no plans for doing more with it. Seem just an annoyance to make it an instance than just a part of the map with these so called upgrades that only becomes available via the story. Then put the waypoint right in there.

You can get in it without being in the story. Just walk up to the portal outside of story and you’ll be given the instance prompt.

I know that. But I'm not sure why you mention this. My point is that the upgrades don't seem to have any point and going in and out of an instance and then having to travel a bit to get to the actual location is just an annoyance. So I just don't see the point at all of making this a personal instance.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

Well I liked playing through the story as it had a better flow and was more about story than combat (of which we have plenty already) so for me it was dosed right. However, I do agree with you about Braham. That was uncharacteristically mushy. Taimi's reveal also was poorly timed but it wasn't because she was sad but because Blish had you pass on the message about not keeping anymore secrets. But yeah, it was done in a way that felt rushed, almost as an aside.

As for the general writing, well, I liked this chapter a lot better but it never was really great. Vanilla was the worst though. The thing is, I never got attached to any of the characters in the story, so I don't really care who dies or not. Blish's situation is probably the one I find saddest. I probably just like him cause he's more to the point and rational but oh well. For me it was just nice that the story had a good flow and the boss fights weren't the usual slugfests. That made it quite enjoyable for me.

Yes, Blish was a great character and I picked up the hint that he will sacrifice himself - that was great. I just wished that they we're consistent about it. Taimi's worsening condition could have been used as a cliff hanger (missed opportunity).

@Gehenna.3625 said:

I know that. But I'm not sure why you mention this. My point is that the upgrades don't seem to have any point and going in and out of an instance and then having to travel a bit to get to the actual location is just an annoyance. So I just don't see the point at all of making this a personal instance.

Then I misunderstood what you said. I thought you were saying you could only get in if you were doing the story. ?

@Blocki.4931 said:

Seriously no ide ahow you get any of those impressions

Because impressions are subjective and it's OK if you disagree.

@Sardeth Wynn.9548: I couldn't disagree more on everything you said (except maybe regarding the frequency of some events). This, for me, was the best content ANet has released in GW2 ever. I loved every bit of it, the bright and the sad, the challenging and the calm parts. Also, the writing was finally 100% on-point (that was quality writing at its best).

P.S. Hope Sun's Refuge will get more content added to it with future releases.

Then I misunderstood what you said. I thought you were saying you could only get in if you were doing the story. ?

Ahh ok lol. No, I finished the story and I got that sunspear thing so everyone can teleport to it (shared account slot) but I'm just really wondering now what the point of it is. And doing the armour collection it was just a thing of ok, I go in, travel to the center, go to the smithy, go out, do the next step, go back in, travel to center, etc. etc. So aside from it not really serving a purpose for me, it's also an annoyance for the collection stuff.

Maybe I'm missing something but I figured they could have just let it be part of the open world instead of an instance that becomes available after completing the story. That way you don't have the instance issues and it just serves as a map hub. I just really don't understand why it is what it is.

@Sardeth Wynn.9548 said:This living story chapter makes me Mad, Sad, Irritated and then more mad.It isn't the map, I mean lots to do even if you aren't an achieves hunter, plenty of events popping off like every 5 minutes somebody there wants/needs something done. I kind of hoped that Refuge would have crafting-tables and things in Racial Home ported over but, at the very least I wanted bank access, nope same thing with Eye of the North Monument. My hope is the Dev's in the future will add these things or give me a collection to get them added.I dislike that every time you use the Portal Scroll or Spearmarshals' Plea to go into the Sanctuary you are always sent to the very beginning even after you pay to get the Pact tunnel opened up. (Oh look need to talk to the Armor NPC again for another Monument, get on Petey crash into a wall <Yeah, I still Sux at driving lol>)Now for the story itself....All well and good up to that Sniper and devs trolling me on my Rev, went in as Herald got the handy dandy tip about Solace, (I am expecting this might be a bug), but she shot right through it so nope and Double U Tee Eff is with that range? What is with these exploding branded showing up? This part didn't make much sense to me story-wise, I mean priestess of Balth and exploding branded?At this point, I went out and started demanding Blish to give me his arm.Blish, ah if this is your A-Game we got different ideas on what A-Game is. He turned off his higher functions just to be a battery? Maybe a little hope here, I seem to remember him being turned off in Lich, probably why he turned the higher functions off, so if the elder dragons only eat Magic and Kralk can swallow in one bite both Blish and the sword, well won't speculate any further, just tired of Dev's playing Russian Roulette with my NPCs.Tiami, feel a little more connected to this one, probably not as much as I should, missed all the beginning with her, only met up this one at Drytop, missed the Scarlet stuff.All in all I liked it, got some premo shrooms, a really fluffy tail, (Grin) as a Guildwars 1 player appreciated that I could pound on Kormir wish Mehnlo was there too, just was hoping Refuge at least had bank and crafting access, yeah, yeah buy the bank access and use the invitation to Lilly, I normally go to Ebonhark because those places take forever to load now

Here is the secret. Use the spearmarshall plea to get into sun’s refuge. Then use it again and it ports you to the middle.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

Eh, I was able to relate to him even more. Just because you're afraid of something, doesn't emasculate you or make you weak, it makes you mortal. Also, Braham is still there, just not as petulant and annoying. Trust me, I have a feeling that his character flaws will start poking through every now and again. I saw this as sort of a turning point for him, where he realizes that if he stopped fighting with everyone and himself long enough, he could accomplish a whole lot more.

@Tsakhi.8124 said:

Eh, I was able to relate to him even more. Just because you're afraid of something, doesn't emasculate you or make you weak, it makes you mortal. Also, Braham is
still
there, just not as petulant and annoying. Trust me, I have a feeling that his character flaws will start poking through every now and again. I saw this as sort of a turning point for him, where he realizes that if he stopped fighting with everyone and himself long enough, he could accomplish a whole lot more.

In other words, the proud Norn we all saw during Flame and Frost is gone.

Archived