Open World Duel option - Yay / Nay / Who cares ?

Hadi.3167

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not play other MMOs at the moment. When you say "open PvP" do you mean attacking players in the main world, or duals that players can agree to? You also focus on the idea that in GW2 people think PvP is for pros. How would open PvP help with that mentality?

What do you mean by open PvP?

If you mean anyone can attack anyone in the PvE maps then there had better be a way to disable it, otherwise that would be the day I uninstall the game and never look back. I've played games like that before and it's not fun, it just leads to a lot of idiots hiding in popular locations to kill newer/weaker players and running a mile if anyone who looks like they might be a bit of a challenge comes in sight because they don't actually want a fight, they want to farm other players.

If you mean PvP arenas in open-world maps, so for example you could go to the Bane in the Black Citadel and fight other players in an organised match then that could be interesting to people who like PvP, but also identical to what we've already got and therefore not worth adding.

I'm not sure why you think PvP is only for 'pros' just because it's not in the PvE maps. Literally anyone, including a brand new player on a free account, can go to the Heart of the Mists and start playing PvP any time they want. Anet have actually made it more accessible than in many games because everyone is scaled to 80 and has all skills and traits unlocked and standardised gear, so there's no need to farm or level up before you start, you can just jump straight in.

Also, having very briefly looked into it apparently Bless Online's open-world PvP is between factions. You join one of two factions and then you can kill players in the other faction. Adding a system like that to GW2 would require a major re-write of the story and lore since everything in PvE is about all 5 races and their different factions working together against the dragons. They'd have to change a lot to explain why we're suddenly slaughtering each other at every opportunity.

At the moment Bless Online is having major problems even having people log into the game so not sure why you think GW2 needs to be like Bless Online. Que's last nite were in the thousands so again not sure why you think GW2 needs to be like that? Besides that there are already places to do PvP, multiple places.

To be honest OP, I am pretty sure that open world PvP is the answer to many things like overpopulation or the concentration of players in certain areas. But it surely is not a vital point for many people.

Take DAOC and eve online as exhibits if you want.The PvP server Camlann in DAOC was always a sinkhole with a capital S. It had the lowest population and could not even hold a candle to the Server Dartmoor which was never densely populated.And if that game is too old for your taste, EVE Online. Take a look at the numbers of EVE online and compare them to Star Citizen, a game that is as likely to bomb as it is looking for a spot at the very top. EVE is not dead, but it was always a niche product even in the heydays of MMOS. Still Sci-Fi MMOers are yearning for a game in space that is not actually more of a social experiment and a foray into the darkest corners of human behavior but a real game where extensive grieving is not only allowed but encouraged and grown men who control massive guilds and money flows from that speak on public panels held in the name of the corporation and encouraged people they grieved to kill themselves there. This is what happens when you let people like this run unchecked. Sooner or later, they will give you such a bad press that you are either shy on players and have to change your game model like in the last years of EVE or even force your CEO to come out of the cover and swallow the massive toad of a public apology.Of course you can say that people come to Star Citizen because of Wing Commander and Chris Roberts. As true as that may be, how many Millenials know or have even played Wing Commander?

@Danikat.8537 said:They'd have to change a lot to explain why we're suddenly slaughtering each other at every opportunity.

The humans and Charr have a history. Asura used to experiment on Sylvari. Sylvari are mordrem, some of whom turned on the Pact. I'd say it would be rather easy to explain why the individual races might turn on each other.

Still......no to open world PvP. I enjoyed it to a degree in WoW, kinda wanted to see it when GW2 first came out. But, nah, I'm good. Let's keep PvE where it is.

@"ChosenOnes.9571" said:If there would have been a "duel" option on every character , it would be enouph i think. What do you think of it?

If there was a way to disable duel invites so no one could even challenge you then I could tolerate it. That's how it works in my other MMO.

But it's still annoying, because you always get the idiots who decide they don't want to duel without an audience so they do it right on top of the bank, in the middle of all the services in a town or some other place people need to get to. And the constant spam in chat from people begging anyone to duel them, and arguing about the outcome of duels and people who seem to think if you've disabled invites a great way to "invite" you to duel is to follow you around and spam attacks on you.

My personal preference would be that it's restricted to special designated areas like the Bane in the Black Citadel and the various fighting pits dotted around. But then it's exactly like our current PvP system but less convenient because you wouldn't have a button to teleport you there from anywhere in the world.

@Elspereth.1280 said:In my opinion mandatory open world pvp would cause the player population to plummet.

I would quit. I have to walk away from my computer often, and I would prefer to not be dead every time I come back from that. Just like with BDO, the population isn't as high as it could be due to mandatory PvP. I would be fine with a few. We zones being OW PvP, but everywhere is too much, and not what I wanted when starting this game.

People don't seem to understand you can't just change the core of the game six years later. I PvP when I want, and not because others want me to. Some people play this game to kick back, and alienating them is bad business.

@"ChosenOnes.9571" said:GW2 is such a great game, but the aspect that pvp is only for "pros" is disturbing the experience. If pvp would be open like in "Bless online" , everybody would play it.

Isn't Bless Online that latest trash Korean game? I guess it failed so badly -already- that people like the OP come here to try to make this game, like a "good Bless Online". Let's ruin both games shall we?

Archived