An in game DPS meter from Anet

Leinhart.2981

Hello,First of all, I'm sorry if the topic has already been discussed before!

I would like to have a CLEAR answer from Anet about their opinion concerning ARC DPS. I never installed it because their position isn't clear. Is this thing clearly allowed or not?

And why don't you add a personal DPS meter IG? I'm not interested in the other players' DPS, only mine, because I want to improve my own skills, not to judge my teammates.

The current system is in my opinion insane for the community, especially in raid mode. If you want my opinion, it would be a good idea to just add a "my DPS" tool in game, and to add a "show the party my DPS" possibility or something like that. This way, the ones who want to compare their E pen*s can compare with their mates, and the ones who just want to see their own performances can do it aswell. Of course, the ones not interested in such a device just don't use it.

You have to admit, the DPS optimization is now a part of your game, mostly in raids and T4 fractals, but even in WvW. It would be fair for everyone to clarify the situation and to deal with the cancer some can live in raids. I know, it's frustrating to play with bad players, but some are just not that bad. Still, if some cancer players judge that their mates are unable to reach a certain amount of damages, they just kick them.

The community is the best of any MMO in my opinion. Unfortunately, a bad management of the DPS meter can ruin the experience of many players and divide them. Some, by elitism, think they are above the others and have a bad behaviour, some others just want to play for fun and are kicked because they're unable to reach the "needed threshold" or judged, just because they don't practice as much as the first category or anything else.

Just in case, I main heal.

Thanks for your answers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The official stance is and has been very clear for quite some time now.

From /u/ChrisCleary:

In Feb 2017, Chris Cleary wroteWe have no problems with players using a 3rd party tool whose scope is only to collect and visualize combat data gathered directly from the game client. Anything beyond that scope is still considered a violation of the User Agreement.

(...memory reading DPS readers are OK as long as they are only parsing combat data). Combat data is defined as any information that is created due to the usage of skills or impact on players due to skill usage (by the player/s or an outside source).These statements are particularly targeted at a "DPS Meter" or functionality built around the capture of combat data. Features outside of that most likely fall under "Quality of Life" changes and should be removed from DPS meters if they want to be considered compliant with our rules.

And later on, in the same thread, he wroteWe engaged in significant internal discussion about DPS meters even before we launched raids. Our discussions initially revolved around what we were going to do, but ultimately we wanted to see where the community was going.

We were not absolutely clear on our stance in relation to DPS meters because the ways they would be used (or potentially abused) was still evolving. In such a case, where we have not made a definitive statement yet are continuing to discuss internally, we did not want to take action against players until we have made our stance clear.

Now that we have set the bar and tool creators know what is acceptable, we are hoping that tool creators will make adjustments to their tools to make them compliant with our requirements and more accessible to a wider audience.

We will give our community plenty of time to make this adjustment before considering any action directly against tools or players that use them.

@Biff.5312 said:Arc DPS doesn't work for me (no idea why). I'd like an in-game alternative as well.

You do know you have to update the file from time to time right?

@"Klipso.8653" said:It doesn't work for me, it just prevents the launcher from opening when I have it in the file.

But A net won't endorse a meter because as long as they 'look the other way' they don't have to admit that they support toxic behavior

Then make your own group with a "lf this this -no dps meter" in the title, just dont be suprised if silent people drop off if they notice bad preformance of people.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Biff.5312 said:Arc DPS doesn't work for me (no idea why). I'd like an in-game alternative as well.

@"Klipso.8653" said:It doesn't work for me, it just prevents the launcher from opening when I have it in the file.

But A net won't endorse a meter because as long as they 'look the other way' they don't have to admit that they support toxic behavior

Then make your own group with a "lf this this -no dps meter" in the title, just dont be suprised if silent people drop off if they notice bad preformance of people.

Group for what? Raids? I haven't really raided since HoC came out, they aren't that fun, just useful for quick ascended gear. And I've got bank tabs full of ascended gear I can't even use. I play WvW since it's far more enjoyable.

I would like my arcDPS to work for once though instead of preventing the launcher from opening. I always loved seeing how high I could get by dropping reflect fields during zerg fights.

@gerrylix.5234 said:Success is bound partly to DPS, don't make it the one defining thing.Sure, it's great when you got high damage output but we all know that there is so much more to it then just the numbers.Elitism can not be circumvented by a meter, only by finding similar minded folk and doing your thing.

At least in the case of fractals depending on which character I use there is easily a 50% damage difference. Both are equally successful.

@Klipso.8653 said:It doesn't work for me, it just prevents the launcher from opening when I have it in the file.

You might be missing one of the VCC redistributable files. I've ran into that for both arc and the GW2 client. Actual error message might shed some light.

@Klipso.8653 said:

@Klipso.8653 said:It doesn't work for me, it just prevents the launcher from opening when I have it in the file.

Group for what? Raids? I haven't really raided since HoC came out, they aren't that fun, just useful for quick ascended gear. And I've got bank tabs full of ascended gear I can't even use. I play WvW since it's far more enjoyable.

I would like my arcDPS to work for once though instead of preventing the launcher from opening. I always loved seeing how high I could get by dropping reflect fields during zerg fights.

Group for what ever you feel "they support toxic behavior" as you state it.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:I just don't understand why we can't have at least a personal DPS meter. The technology exists in the special forces training room, why can't we see what our DPS is on at least our own characters?

Basically because it encourages toxic behavior from raid commanders. If a user no longer has no excuse about not monitoring their dps. You can run into situations where you could just out right be kicked for not maintaining unrealistic expectations.

It also prevents DPS boasters. The sort of people who feel it is their duty to always show you their dps... Because apparently people care.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:I just don't understand why we can't have at least a personal DPS meter. The technology exists in the special forces training room, why can't we see what our DPS is on at least our own characters?

Basically because it encourages toxic behavior from raid commanders. If a user no longer has no excuse about not monitoring their dps. You can run into situations where you could just out right be kicked for not maintaining unrealistic expectations.

It also prevents DPS boasters. The aort of people who feel it is their duty to always shoe you their dps... Because apparently people care.

Lack of DPS meter does not prevent that. Just look at the dungeon scene way back when.

or try some PvP. The loudest asshole is also often the least helpful teammate.

I agree, I don't understand why we can't check at our personal DPS. As I said before, I'm only interested in my own DPS since It's the best way to judge our skills and just improve. It would be fantastic to have the opportunity to check at our DPS without being forced to install an add on we're not interested in.

@Leinhart.2981 said:

I agree, I don't understand why we can't check at our personal DPS. As I said before, I'm only interested in my own DPS since It's the best way to judge our skills and just improve. It would be fantastic to have the opportunity to check at our DPS without being forced to install an add on we're not interested in.

You can do that in the special forces training area mate.

@Eddbopkins.2630 said:I dont see how a dps meter actually affects the game play. Its not even a quality of life ting. Its practically useless info that doesn't affect anything other then seeing pretty numbers. I personal don't care for an ingame one let alone a 3rd party one.

Actually, by comparing with the max DPS possible by your class, you can see if you do the things well or not, and you can see if you can improve or not. It's cool when you're a try harder. Personally, I like to master my class and even if I'm not interested in my mates' DPS, I would like to know how good or bad I am, because I want to be a good player.

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

It also prevents DPS boasters. The aort of people who feel it is their duty to always shoe you their dps... Because apparently people care.

Poor behavior presents itself when failure occurs; this is why pvp is full of bad behavior because one group has to lose. You could have terrible dps and more often than not no one will say a thing as long as there's no wiping.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The official stance is and has been very clear for quite some time now.

From /u/ChrisCleary:

We have no problems with players using a 3rd party tool whose scope is only to collect and visualize combat data gathered directly from the game client. Anything beyond that scope is still considered a violation of the User Agreement.

(...memory reading DPS readers are OK as long as they are only parsing combat data). Combat data is defined as any information that is created due to the usage of skills or impact on players due to skill usage (by the player/s or an outside source).These statements are particularly targeted at a "DPS Meter" or functionality built around the capture of combat data. Features outside of that most likely fall under "Quality of Life" changes and should be removed from DPS meters if they want to be considered compliant with our rules.

We engaged in significant internal discussion about DPS meters even before we launched raids. Our discussions initially revolved around what we were going to do, but ultimately we wanted to see where the community was going.

We were not absolutely clear on our stance in relation to DPS meters because the ways they would be used (or potentially abused) was still evolving. In such a case, where we have not made a definitive statement yet are continuing to discuss internally, we did not want to take action against players until we have made our stance clear.

Now that we have set the bar and tool creators know what is acceptable, we are hoping that tool creators will make adjustments to their tools to make them compliant with our requirements and more accessible to a wider audience.

We will give our community plenty of time to make this adjustment before considering any action directly against tools or players that use them.

Uhm yeah, very clear ... When people ask a yes/no question and you make it an essay question, nothing is ‘clear’ at all.

Archived