The weather system in Jahai is one of the most well designed piece of content in the game! — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home ArenaNet Forum Chats Sep: LWS4 Ep 4, Raid, & more!

The weather system in Jahai is one of the most well designed piece of content in the game!

The brand rain, the complete change of ambiance when you enter the time bubbles or when a rift opens, the tornado that sweeps by, amazed me in ways i never felt before. I love how the tornado creates brand rain around it, and how it still seems to randomly appear in certain parts of the map, how the rain actually give the player a debuff. It makes the map feel alive, as it is really experiencing the chaos and destruction of an elder dragon. I always thought the heart where the elder dragons live are so inhospitable,only the bravest heroes would dare to enter, so seeing this finally have some small execution really made me look forward to a future map where it is completely devastated and perched by Kralkatorrik. I only crooked my eye a bit when the tornado seemed to have no effect to the native fauna. I know they can't be tossed over, but seeing them being damaged somehow or just cc pushed, would have been alright too.

Thank you for the amazing attention to details, it really makes a difference. It reminded me greatly of the nightfall in Elona and how we even seem to be going to the mists towards the disaster in the same fashion we delved in the realm of torment before. This map is my favorite one along with Sandswept.

Tagged:

Comments

• I'm glad you like it! Our whole team had several meetings early in Episode 4's development to figure out ways to help Jahai Bluffs feel dangerous, but not in a way that discouraged players from participating in activities around the map when they were active. I think all of the hazards on the map do a great job in changing the way you go about reaching that vista, or completing that event, while still being fun to deal with. I am a huge fan of weather systems in games so to be able to work along with the rest of the team to get the storms, tornadoes and other hazards in was a joy. :)

It's been mentioned before, but one of the key moments in the development of the episode was when we were testing a bounty and it started raining, and then the tornado was approaching - it became a race against the clock as we all tried to finish the bounty off before the tornado swung by, and when we realized how positive the interaction felt, we knew that it was something worth keeping.

Kirk Williford
    Game Designer

• Nebilim.5127Nebilim.5127 Member ✭✭✭

@Kirk Williford.2653 said:
    I'm glad you like it! Our whole team had several meetings early in Episode 4's development to figure out ways to help Jahai Bluffs feel dangerous, but not in a way that discouraged players from participating in activities around the map when they were active. I think all of the hazards on the map do a great job in changing the way you go about reaching that vista, or completing that event, while still being fun to deal with. I am a huge fan of weather systems in games so to be able to work along with the rest of the team to get the storms, tornadoes and other hazards in was a joy. :)

It's been mentioned before, but one of the key moments in the development of the episode was when we were testing a bounty and it started raining, and then the tornado was approaching - it became a race against the clock as we all tried to finish the bounty off before the tornado swung by, and when we realized how positive the interaction felt, we knew that it was something worth keeping.

It is funny you mention that, because Vihn is a kitten cheater!

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2018

I also approve when you put in interesting weather effects - the tornados, the Dry Top Sandstorm, even the storm meta in Sandswept. I'd def like to see more use of the environment in this way. For me, this is as much a key part of a "Living Wold" as anything else

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .