In 15 years of gaming.. This is the buggiest MMORPG

Is there a way to get your money back from this trash heap ?? i've got disconnected at least 10 times now while trying to progress through this game. EVERY time all progress was lost, i mean is it really that hard to have checkpoints during story missions? I can't do half the story because the client disconnects i can't play with my girlfriend because multiplayer apparently bugs the instances and we both crash. So again ... how do i get my money back?

After 15 years of gaming you should know that one person's experience may not be indicative of everyone or most people's experience .I'd think so anyway. Sad that you've had that problem but I've played the expansion 8-10 hours a day since release and I've disconnected twice, which is a far cry from some of the other MMO launches I've seen. At any rate, if you bought the game from Anet directly you should be able to contact support for a refund.

After reading the posts in the forums i would say at least 80% of players have encountered bugs and disconnects. That's a solid problem. I think i'll have to contact them directly you are right thanks for the tip.

You're one of the lucky ones i guess, the game should be tested before release... if world of warcraft can do i'm sure any one can do it.

@Tsukronin.7085 said:Is there a way to get your money back from this trash heap ?? i've got disconnected at least 10 times now while trying to progress through this game. EVERY time all progress was lost, i mean is it really that hard to have checkpoints during story missions? I can't do half the story because the client disconnects i can't play with my girlfriend because multiplayer apparently bugs the instances and we both crash. So again ... how do i get my money back?

I guess you never played Anarchy Online or Star Wars Galaxies then?

@Tsukronin.7085 said:After reading the posts in the forums i would say at least 80% of players have encountered bugs and disconnects. That's a solid problem. I think i'll have to contact them directly you are right thanks for the tip.

You're one of the lucky ones i guess, the game should be tested before release... if world of warcraft can do i'm sure any one can do it.

World of Warcraft on launch was a bug filled mess that also crashed a lot. Gamers were more forgiving back then though. If WoW launched today and experienced the same issues it had back in 2004, it would have not become the juggernaut that it eventually became (after they ironed out the kinks of course). They even had to issue a bunch of free days / months of subs because of these issues. The new expansion I believe added a lot under the hood, so I expected it to have some issues. Unfortunately you can do QA tests and some closed beta all you want but until you get the game out to the masses with all the thousands of possible combinations of computer specs, you will not get the same results as in a controlled group. Your WoW comment gave me a laugh though as I would have thought a player with 15 years experience with MMOs would have known how bad the launch of that product was... Anyways I hope you can work out these issues because PoF is very good IMO.

In 15 years of gaming it should be obvious that games can go through testing but there's still going to be issues that aren't going to be found until the game goes live. As in we're talking about a couple dozen/hundred of devs doing internal testing with the occasional public stress test during pre-release vs releasing the game to the thousands of players (which had a hard deadline so whether the game was 100% polished or not the game had to launch). At that point, you just multiplied your sample size a few tenfold so naturally a huge amount of bugs are gonna pop up. Priority to get that all fixed? Well, that's on the devs.

I'd take a guess that the game has a relatively modest dev team since they don't use a subscription based model so understandably issues are gonna take some time to fix. So.....if you want the "prestigious level" of support and response that a subscription game brings, well, go back to a game that has more a financial commitment? Bluntly put, you get what you pay for, but I will admit GW2 has quite a lot of bang for the buck compared to other games out there.

In regards to story missions being broken? That's old news, and a lot of players have taken note of it and are avoiding the story missions until the usual handful of patches get that stabilized. If players choice to do missions right now, that's on them gambling whether or not the instance will crash. So yeah, initial bugs on an expansion launch? Saw that when the game first came out 5 years ago and saw the same thing when HoT came out.

Personally, maybe 2-3 disconnects after about 20 hours of gameplay? Clearly, it hasn't been that often enough to the point where I'm keeping count. Granted, I'm doing open world and not the stories so naturally I'm not putting myself in a place where I'd see more frequent disconnects.

@Tsukronin.7085 said:Is there a way to get your money back from this trash heap ?? i've got disconnected at least 10 times now while trying to progress through this game. EVERY time all progress was lost, i mean is it really that hard to have checkpoints during story missions?

Going to ignore the rant part for this little snippet. They had these in the last chapter of LS3. Why not in the new story?

@Tsukronin.7085 said:After reading the posts in the forums i would say at least 80% of players have encountered bugs and disconnects. That's a solid problem.The number of people posting in the forums about bugs is irrelevant to measuring how severe a problem is. It's definitely the case that more people post when the problems are widespread and fewer when it's not. However, historically, there are always people posting about crashes after a patch, even if the game isn't the cause (sometimes it's coincidental, sometimes it's Windows|MacOS at fault, sometimes anti-malware software, sometimes new drivers, sometimes failing hardware).

I think i'll have to contact them directly you are right thanks for the tip.Absolutely if you aren't getting good value, you should ask for a refund.

However, I'd recommend that you first try to work with support to troubleshot — it's entirely possible and even likely that investing an hour or two of your time might prevent you from suffering crashes and give you a chance to play as you'd hoped.

You're one of the lucky ones i guess, the game should be tested before release... if world of warcraft can do i'm sure any one can do it.There's no amount of testing that prevents bugs in MMOs; even games with more substantial budgets end up with some major ones.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Tsukronin.7085 said:You're one of the lucky ones i guess, the game should be tested before release... if world of warcraft can do i'm sure any one can do it.There's no amount of testing that prevents bugs in MMOs; even games with more substantial budgets end up with some major ones.

That rather funny one with the disease in WOW that spread across the server and was actually studied comes to mind. Oh and on the first day I disconnected about 4 times. Since then I have disconnected once or twice but haven't had all that many other bugs.

to the op, you are badly overreacting. Servers is already quite stable now. Few online games launches new expansions without unforeseen hiccups, especially when login servers gets slammed to unprecedented heights from people comming back to check it out due to the game having no subscription.

The first 2 days was quite bad, but its all fine now.

@Samnang.1879 said:i dont understand why wow is brought up in every mmo discussions to prove that an mmo is inferior to it, this game is constantly brought up as if it's some sort of epitome of mmo... well here's the news... it's not, not with that basic graphics that belong in the bronze age.

I'm not saying it's better than gw .. in all honesty this game trumps over wow however when customers pay money they assume they get what they pay for. I guess bugs come and go but when you keep running into them at random times throughout an adventure it starts to get quite frustrating.

I had to SPOILER ALERT fight a certain boss (blathazar) several times (at least 5) before the game decided that it would finally allow the client to stay connected to the servers. As stated before it's not just me as my gf had a similar bug (although it worked round 3 for her). It makes me wonder if adding skins and cosmetics instead of patching game breaking glitches is higher up on the to do list over at ArenaNet.

I probably did over react and i'm sorry however these bugs and heaps of glitches still exist to this day and if ArenaNet cared about the stability of the game the first thing they should have done is sat on the forums during the release and attempt to fix some of these bugs (like they said they would during launch)

@savacli.8172 said:In 15 years of gaming it should be obvious that games can go through testing but there's still going to be issues that aren't going to be found until the game goes live. As in we're talking about a couple dozen/hundred of devs doing internal testing with the occasional public stress test during pre-release vs releasing the game to the thousands of players (which had a hard deadline so whether the game was 100% polished or not the game had to launch). At that point, you just multiplied your sample size a few tenfold so naturally a huge amount of bugs are gonna pop up. Priority to get that all fixed? Well, that's on the devs.

I'd take a guess that the game has a relatively modest dev team since they don't use a subscription based model so understandably issues are gonna take some time to fix. So.....if you want the "prestigious level" of support and response that a subscription game brings, well, go back to a game that has more a financial commitment? Bluntly put, you get what you pay for, but I will admit GW2 has quite a lot of bang for the buck compared to other games out there.

In regards to story missions being broken? That's old news, and a lot of players have taken note of it and are avoiding the story missions until the usual handful of patches get that stabilized. If players choice to do missions right now, that's on them gambling whether or not the instance will crash. So yeah, initial bugs on an expansion launch? Saw that when the game first came out 5 years ago and saw the same thing when HoT came out.

Personally, maybe 2-3 disconnects after about 20 hours of gameplay? Clearly, it hasn't been that often enough to the point where I'm keeping count. Granted, I'm doing open world and not the stories so naturally I'm not putting myself in a place where I'd see more frequent disconnects.

That's fair enough and i love the open world more than story however i would love to play a game where if i am promised to be able to do something and i can't.

@Tsukronin.7085 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:i dont understand why wow is brought up in every mmo discussions to prove that an mmo is inferior to it, this game is constantly brought up as if it's some sort of epitome of mmo... well here's the news... it's not, not with that basic graphics that belong in the bronze age.

I'm not saying it's better than gw .. in all honesty this game trumps over wow however when customers pay money they assume they get what they pay for. I guess bugs come and go but when you keep running into them at random times throughout an adventure it starts to get quite frustrating.

I had to
SPOILER ALERT
fight a certain boss (blathazar) several times (at least 5) before the game decided that it would finally allow the client to stay connected to the servers. As stated before it's not just me as my gf had a similar bug (although it worked round 3 for her). It makes me wonder if adding skins and cosmetics instead of patching game breaking glitches is higher up on the to do list over at ArenaNet.

I probably did over react and i'm sorry however these bugs and heaps of glitches still exist to this day and if ArenaNet cared about the stability of the game the first thing they should have done is sat on the forums during the release and attempt to fix some of these bugs (like they said they would during launch)

If the Devs sat on the forums, they would not have been fixing bugs like they were (on the weekend - I'm sure many worked overtime), as all the hot-fixes indicate. Sometimes, bugs are harder to track down than desired. They first must be able to replicate the bug reliably, so they can then figure out how to fix it, without breaking something else. The content isn't going anywhere, it's permanent. My guildie and I encountered a bug earlier today near the end of a Story instance, and now we will have to replay it to get credit. (Meh, skritt happens; there's plenty more to do.) I'm sure most of the most egregious bugs will be fixed within a few weeks.

Good luck.

Archived