What is the driving force behind the choice of materials needed for new collections or recipes? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home ArenaNet Forum Chats Sep: LWS4 Ep 4, Raid, & more!

What is the driving force behind the choice of materials needed for new collections or recipes?

Since the sigil of nullification is such a hot topic right now, I was wondering how much economic reasons and how much storytelling/lore influence the choice of materials used in new recipes or collections because for the sigil of nullification i can see both having an impact on your final choice:

• Using a sigil that had little to no demand before the patch and was traded at vendor value or even sold to vendors directly makes sense because nobody likes useless items in their economy
  • I can also see reason for chosing a sigil (or other item) that isnt craftable for this collection because that way, its sudden spike in demand wont affect any other markets where those crafting materials have additional sinks
  • The nullification sigil also fits thematically since the NPC will build a containment field with them, just like the watchwork sprockets fit to build a device, dust for a spectrum filter and gemstones for lens

So my question is, what has the bigger impact, the thematic fit of the item or its current state in the economy?

Is the story written first and then you look at items you could use that fit the story or is the item chosen first and then a story written around it?