4K Resolution Gaming -update

jishi.7568

Note: the frame skips you see are from the recording software(When Encoding overloads a bit) actual gameplay is smooth. also, i can go higher on graphics settings but then i can't record as the GPU is overloaded(From both rendering gameplay and encoding the recording).Here's the Video @4k resolution. i ghetto rigged a cpu cooler onto the gpu though,lol.Please notice the Load times, this is old CPU and GPU, glad they can still do very good on Guild Wars 2.

fx 6300 oc to 3.9ghz(boost OFF) set mostly through Bus speed(FX-series get good boost from this).8GB (X2 4GB) 1600mhz ddr3(set to 1500mhz, once again due to bus speed being raised)R9 380 Sapphire Nitro+ edition Disassembled and rigged with 360mm Corsair cpu cooler 1110mhz core & 1600mhz Memory(Gonna start re-evaluate the Overclock since Watercooled)Corsair 650W PSU(Think it was a bronze, think i may upgrade to 850w)Win10 on cheapest 120gb SSD from bestbuy.

This is the outside, showed the screenshot of temps after the game.

@moonstarmac.4603 said:For what you have that isn't bad. My R5 1600X, RX 470, and 16G DDR4 @ 3000 pulls that in 1440 High/Ultra settings. 15-20ish in major metas, no stuttering.

I like how you adjust setting on the fly, i can't do that, i have to pause. Found it interesting, as soon as you checked the box for the "lod" limit of particles; you gained 5fps instantly and seemed to go from 5-8fps boost. although i did see you uncheck it later and seemed to not effect FPS.

I find it insane,that you have it set high/ultra settings and still get good fps(well, compared to mine,lol ). If i remember correctly, "Super Sampling" doubles the Resolution rendering, then scales it to your proper Screen resolution. i believe your technically rendering at 4k right, then it's scaling it to your 1440p Correct?Loved the ending of the 2nd video... The wave,lol. i was about to ask for temps too, saw you used the Stats on it this time. Will hopefully build a new ryzen build again. your video's having me anxious to try again.

I built a R5 1600 16gb 2666mhz(set to 2800mhz) but i didn't like the build so returned the parts(i was building up heat...like a lot, i blame the PC case though, so will redo in future)

I did this video since it seemed someone on the Facebook, wanted me to raise details but, i can't go higher it increases the frameskips on recording.Some suggested i record a WvW fight and To go to the Grove. i limited the fps to 30fps to match the recording in hopes to reduce the frameskips . I save the Raw recordings at 4k resolution. youtube and twitch reduce them to 1080p.here's the new one. The settings are shown at 1:07 mark.(set Quality settings on video to 1080p)

One thing that may be helping me is that my display has HDMI 2.0a, which supports 60Hz refresh. Sadly I found that the "boost" to higher refresh isn't so great...but it is a 43" Vizio so not much expected. I plan on upgrading my GPU and chipset drivers this week. I will do another test with it to see if they help any.

As for temps, this was before I removed my hard drive mount brackets from my case. Since I have 3 SSDs I simply mounted them to the back plate of the case opening up the airway for the 200mm intake fan.

And technically, yes, my display renders at 4K even if my resolution is set to something lower. I noticed about 10-20fps difference between 1440p and 4k. I prefer 1440 because I don't have to mess with DPI scaling issues.

So saw that my video quality on cell was set to 480p but, supports 720p so redid video.Note, i barely Bios flashed my gpu(Like 30-40min ago) from a R9 380 to R9 380x(Gained 40mhz on core and 50mhz on memory then OC to 1100mhzcore and 1625mhz memory, Much more stable now at higher clocks)

So here's the updated Video, the increase in temps i say is from higher clocks and higher ambient temps right now.

And here's the outside view of PC rig

I forgot to do the benchmark while recording, so redid the walk aroundThis is what FRAPS showed in a 300second benchmark on Guild Wars 2(same settings same Grove areas)Min 8, Max 31, Avg 16.790

This with OC gpu, didn't improve FPS Average:

Yeah, AMD just released a new update. I've been wanting to try a newer monitor with the Display port heard it transfers video data faster. Yeah i need to redo the inside of case as well, the front intake side has tiny vents, Gamer Nexus said for these kinds of cases to create a 1" gap on the sides of front panel to create enough airflow. Love your rig and performance though, have new goals :D

@Ashantara.8731 said:What does this have to do with GW2 Discussions, though?

It was to talk about Playing Guild Wars 2 at 4k Resolution like Jbrother.1340 said. Also to compare performance to other guys, Basically asking for opinions on my build and performance and Updating on my goal for maxing out this build.

@jbrother.1340 said:

you do see they are all talking about resolution as it applies to their hardware and 4k for GW2...right?

how does that not qualify as a GW2 discussion?

Thanks, for defending.

@jishi.7568 said:

It was to talk about Playing Guild Wars 2 at 4k Resolution like Jbrother.1340 said. Also to compare performance to other guys, Basically asking for opinions on my build and performance and Updating on my goal for maxing out this build.

you do see they are all talking about resolution as it applies to their hardware and 4k for GW2...right?

how does that not qualify as a GW2 discussion?

Thanks, for defending.

I wish I had the gear right now to post my own stats :)

It is no problem. People come in going off topic about the topic in the linux performance thread as well and I just don't get it other than those that don't like the way you live it...

I am seeing these videos and numbers and want to buy some better gear just gotta go water the money tree.

@jbrother.1340 said:I wish I had the gear right now to post my own stats :)

It is no problem. People come in going off topic about the topic in the linux performance thread as well and I just don't get it other than those that don't like the way you live it...

I am seeing these videos and numbers and want to buy some better gear just gotta go water the money tree.

I hear you on the Gear, I originally had a fx8370 with a rx580 but sold the rx 580 and gave the pc build to my little brother.Was suppose to get a RX Vega 56 but at the time the mining craze happened and prices skyrocketed. so never bought, this build was just to get me gaming again, but happened to get surprised by the performance of the combo. but like i was telling moonstarmac.4603 , i was originally supposed to have kept the Ryzen 5 1600 build but i couldn't get the temps throughout pc case and parts to a reasonable level.(I went for fancy look, instead of airflow)

I'm curious what the new AMD Athlon 200Ge would score with a rx570 4gb model. still be like a $400-$600 to build Depending if reuse parts, i feel like should score the same as my current setup.

@jishi.7568 said:I'm curious what the new AMD Athlon 200Ge would score with a rx570 4gb model. still be like a $400-$600 to build Depending if reuse parts, i feel like should score the same as my current setup.

Honestly, The Athlon 200Ge would limit the RX 570 in a horrible way as it is only a dual core CPU without SMT. I'd try for an R3 1200 at the lowest.

@moonstarmac.4603 said:

@"jishi.7568" said:I'm curious what the new AMD Athlon 200Ge would score with a rx570 4gb model. still be like a $400-$600 to build Depending if reuse parts, i feel like should score the same as my current setup.

Honestly, The Athlon 200Ge would limit the RX 570 in a horrible way as it is only a dual core CPU without SMT. I'd try for an R3 1200 at the lowest.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13332/amd-athlon-200ge-55-usdit's a 2core 4 threads, but i did recently look at benchmarks and seems to be behind the 1200/2200g quad cores by 20-40fps(Ouch). Guess they really did limit it by having it locked, No Overclocking :(

Will wait for deals from Frys but, definitely time to upgrade/sidegrade depends.(Lesser noise and heat)

• 2 months later...

Hello, I recently installed GW2 again and was hoping to play GW2 on a native 4k resolution. Unfortunately I couldn't get 4k to work so I submitted a ticket. The GM told me that 4k is not supported through them but only through a third party tool and so Im interested what tool I should use.

@Solvar.7953 said:I play in 4K just fine without anything special. You don't mention what issues you are having (poor performance? failure to run? something else?). Certainly, you will need a powerful cpu to get usable performance, and a decent video card also.

Installed the game without problems, logged in, clicked play and initially I only could see an ingame hand on my desktop and could hear the music on the background. I also couldn't shut down the program since I could open taskmanager but not click on anything. So the GM suggested the -windowed option. This worked and could get ingame. Unfortunately I can change into any resolution except the 4k one, because if I do the game freezes again. It's not a hardware issue.

The GM finally stated that 4k is not supported by them and I'd need a 3rd party program to make it run. I was frankly shocked when I read this. Bold lies or sheer ignorance? Or maybe Im missing something.

Its bizarre to me that the GM would state that a 3rd party program was needed. Anet seems to not want people to use third party programs, and if they were going to say one is needed, one would think they would tell you what to use.What cpu & graphics card do you have? I wonder if the gw2 just assumes the graphics card will have enough memory for everything, but at 4K it does not.

@"Solvar.7953" said:Its bizarre to me that the GM would state that a 3rd party program was needed. Anet seems to not want people to use third party programs, and if they were going to say one is needed, one would think they would tell you what to use.What cpu & graphics card do you have? I wonder if the gw2 just assumes the graphics card will have enough memory for everything, but at 4K it does not.

This is the last message I received:https://imgur.com/rCPPR4cIm using a 8700K, 1080, 16GB

@"Timelord.8190" said:You don't need a 3rd party program to run 4K. I've ran 4K since july 2015.

See, this is why Im puzzled. I know 4k should give no problems, and the option to choose 4k is present, but once I click on the resolution in GW's UI the screen just freezes. Im using the 417.22 nvidia driver, I also gave the GM the hardware file after running NCSoft gameadvisor. I can run 4k on WoW and other games. I really wanted to dive back into GW, but this is not cool.

@Enigmus.9541 said:

@"Timelord.8190" said:You don't need a 3rd party program to run 4K. I've ran 4K since july 2015.

See, this is why Im puzzled. I know 4k should give no problems, and the option to choose 4k is present, but once I click on the resolution in GW's UI the screen just freezes. Im using the 417.22 nvidia driver, I also gave the GM the hardware file after running NCSoft gameadvisor. I can run 4k on WoW and other games. I really wanted to dive back into GW, but this is not cool.

Just ignore that GM.

I don't know if this will work but try right click on the games exe file. Then go to compatibility and see if there is any PPT settings. Override the PPT settings by the program and apply changes. I hope that will work.

The only other thing (I can think from that message) is that within windows, you have the graphic settings set for something other than 4K, and gw2 has issues switching if windows itself is not set to 4K.I know there are lots of people running at 4K, so it certainly works, and that hw should be more than capable (I'm running on a 1070 myself). However, I also have windows set to use that 4K resolution - whats the point having a 4K monitor if you are not going to always run it at 4K?

I game @4k from an Acer Predator Laptop i7 8700 oc'd GTX 1060 6Gig through HDMI to a 55 inch 60Hz tv, I get around 30 fps in cities and 60 in open world on Windowed Fullscreen and Max settings. I've never had to use a 3rd party ap. I had driver issues with 417 though, might be the problem, I also had driver issues with 422 as well and had to roll back twice.You may have to set the GW2.exe to use the GTX 1080 in the nvidia control panel. Once in a while I have to go back and change this after a clean driver update.

Archived