Thief or warrior (PvE) — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Thief or warrior (PvE)

I apologize for the long post, a longish tl;dr

I am a casual, maining a condi mirage and loving the mechanics. I am in a dilemma which of the following specs to try next:
daredevil, for the somewhat similar mechanics to mirage, and flexibility with combat range.
Deadeye: for different playstyle - ranged single target burst, with crazy buff generation.
Spellbreaker: sturdy, cool full counter mechanic and different more head on approach.

Would appreciate any opinion. Thanks!

The rest:

I am a casual veteran, currently I main a condi mirage and keep coming back to it.
The fluidity, the balance of offense and defense (the mirage mirror mechanic) gives me a great feeling of control over the fight. I can do amazing dps and burst mobs down in melee range, and go more defensive ranged with staff in harder encounters and solo many champs with ease.
I used to main a hybrid sword weaver. I found weaver's sword to be one of the coolest weapons in the game, but I was stuck in melee range which can be horribly punishing in some cases.
I have fully geared spellbreaker (dagger/axe), which I find very interesting to use, but still need to get used to. Problem here is again melee range (ranged options are just low dps for no defensive benefit). Thing is, spellbreaker is quite much sturdier than weaver once you figure out when to dodge and use full counter, so melee should be less limiting.
My other thought was a daredevil which has similar mechanic to mirage, and while the ranged option is a bit weaker it exists.
And there is the other thief spec, the deadeye which does amazing burst (single target, but still) at range, while providing crazy self buffs - and can still be decent at melee.
Thief can have insane sustain with lifesteal on crit on both specs.

The daredevil sounds like something close to mirage, so should be easiest to adjust to, but similar playstyle. The deadeye sounds like a cool new playstyle.
The spellbreaker seems like it is a bit less flexible (range combat issues), but kinda sturdy enough to make up for it.

Did anyone come across that kind of thought? Which would you pick?

Many thanks!

Comments

• What's stopping you trying both? :)

For what it's worth, I find it hard to get away from the concept of having a main character - just remember you can swap any time and there is never 'bad gear' - can be shared, kept or stat swapped.

• eldrjth.7384eldrjth.7384 Member ✭✭✭

I went from DD to trying out mirage because of similar playstyle and ended up liking both specs, but I still prefer thief for most open world stuff/fractals for a few reasons. I can spec dash and make things like winterberry farm a sinch. Vault on staff is an awesome open world skill that does good aoe and provides survivability through evades. Invigorating precision provides tons of sustain that I can run scholar runes and keep the benefit up no probs. I can spec into P/P deadeye and do decent range dmg against tougher mobs and also use d/d against reflect mobs. The lingering thoughts skill tends to led to me falling of edges/cliffs in fights I dont like how I need to get illusions back up after I kill each mob. But for champs mirage prob fairs better because of illusions/clones.

• Noha.3749Noha.3749 Member ✭✭✭

I love my thief because i love daggers and mobility. But im not fond of deadeye at all, the whole kneeling mechanic is just a mess and being only single target kinda boring.
    Easymode in fractals and dungeons though, cant speak for raids.

I love mesmer for its power and condibuilds. Sometimes it gets too much with all glimmer and flowerpower though. Havent played supportchrono yet, not sure if i will.

Warrior: havent played it since vanilla, what i remember (from vanilla) is that the game got a bit too easy and uninteractive with it. I fancy the berserker and spellbreaker approach though, might give it a try myself if i ever craft an ascended set for heavy.

• otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

DD and mirage do not play a like. DD will be with staff. It is melee dps with strong evasive tools and high burst. Also, DD can be played as condi build.

SB is also melee dps, with more straight forward gameplay, primarily using great sword and axes.

I do not have preference. I find the main SB damage build sustainability to be average. It can be seriously upgraded, but the cost on damage is pretty noticeable. Thief on the other hand has trait that converts 15% of critic damage to HP. Pretty significant and you only sacrifice 250 ferocity. Thief ranged options are much better than warrior.

• Zenith.7301Zenith.7301 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thief is hilariously broken with kitten easy DPS thanks to so much of it coming from overtuned autottacks while the other classes rely far less on easy autoattack DPS to perform.

• @Zenith.7301 said:
    Thief is hilariously broken with kitten easy DPS thanks to so much of it coming from overtuned autottacks while the other classes rely far less on easy autoattack DPS to perform.

Maybe because thief doesn't have big attack skills?
    Warrior axe 2-4-5 easily destroy groups of mobs with great cleave. Compare that to thief autos, especially number of targets hit.

• Zenith.7301Zenith.7301 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2018

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:

@Zenith.7301 said:

Maybe because thief doesn't have big attack skills?
    Warrior axe 2-4-5 easily destroy groups of mobs with great cleave. Compare that to thief autos, especially number of targets hit.

lol

Vault without might crits for 12-13k and Backstab isn't that far behind being preceded by a 6-7k cloak and dagger. Vault does pretty much the same damage as a Reaper's Gravedigger while having a significantly shorter cast time, added evasion frames, and a leap tied into it.

Of course you won't have a 100b or even a Fire Grab because unlike warrior or ele your effective cd's on high damage skills thanks to the initiative system are far shorter than theirs. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to get Fire Grab or Unrelenting Assault on a 4-5 sec cd and being able to frontload it two to three times before that cd effectively kicking in due to the way initiative lets you frontload chains of high damage spenders.

• Sylent.3165Sylent.3165 Member ✭✭✭

For pve a staff power daredevil is my personal choice. I enjoy the self healing mixed with the damage it can deal, the extra dodges really help and maintaining skills I find simple

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.