Hurrah new forum! BUT:Acces to older forum content, Leniency for nonnative english speaking posters.

It's nice to have a new frontend to the forum, It shows peole have been working on it ,even if the general looks are not my taste, filled with unneccesary clutter and unneeded spacing.

My problem however is I had ~2000 posts in the old forum and cannot seem to find anything at this moment. This includes things I often (re)posted orused to comment with and were of use for myself to see how my opinion and stance changed over time.

Secondly I read something about a limited time to be ablke to make changes... This can be a problem cause in Europe.. You know the United group of countries on the other side of the occean we speak a lot of non supported languages. Not all comments from Europe will be captured by Spanish, German and French Fora (Forums?).Scandinavia, the Benelux, Italy, Eastern Europe all have people joing for the discussion. And this does not include the rest of the world, Africa, Middle east, Asia, and Ocenania. Soem people write with help of extrenal translation sources or need to update their question(s) and remarks due to translation errors and typo's.

I hope to see The older posts come back and a more clear system in "later time correction."

Thank you for you time.

• ArenaNet Staff

No posts have been lost. Look in the old forums under your display name, and then click "Show all posts by" and you'll find every single post you made.

I am reviewing and reconsidering edit times. However, I don't see that someone's nation of origin has anything substantial that requires adjustments to the editing timer. If we make a change, it will benefit all users. If we do not make a change, it will be because the risks outweight the benefits. This will be determined in the future, but not today.

Gaile, will those old posts still be available after the old forums are closed in October? As in will there be any publicly accessible full archive of the forums? The blog post suggested it's all going to go (edited:) bye bye :( (Ok, feline filter, in what way is "proof" without the r in it a dirty word?)

I would "mention" you since there's an option to be notified when one is mentioned but I don't know how to do that. Is it like in Twitch or ESO forums where you use the @ before the user name?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Donari.5237 said:Gaile, will those old posts still be available after the old forums are closed in October? As in will there be any publicly accessible full archive of the forums? The blog post suggested it's all going to go (edited:) bye bye :( (Ok, feline filter, in what way is "proof" without the r in it a dirty word?)

I would "mention" you since there's an option to be notified when one is mentioned but I don't know how to do that. Is it like in Twitch or ESO forums where you use the @ before the user name?

As I have explained, we will not be hosting an archive of the forums after around October 31st. However, you have the ability to archive any post that you like, using Archive.org. Go check it out!

Thank you for your reply Gaile, I do want to point out a lot of user content will be lost. I doubt my 2000 posts will be the majority of posts.

My problem lies in the fact the forum, however archaic, holds some things of interest: ~2400 pages in the duscussion tab of threads... 50 each. so ~125000 threads or so...

And these 125000 threads

• STILL tell the story of GW2's history.

• also tell a tale of good and bad and holds critism, whcih should be valuable.

• details of the reception of new content

• provide guides, hints, tips and tricks

• have old very old threads things like the: post your own character if it's mix and match

• suggestions, even though I hope to know most will have been noted.

• the cry out for build templates I need to bring this back up.

• opinions,

• stories of lives and losses; telling personal stories of players...

• Even the last clean of the forums led to an archive...

In my opinion the amount of necro-ed posts was low. and general opnion even when not favorable shouldn't be silenced in a fashion seeming like a covert form of censorship.... History is... and can be manipuleted, and this in general is not a good thing on the manipulators side.

I would like to be able to have a way to ressurect threads..from the former forum. Or be able to restart discussion using the old information.... Some discussions are still open. frustrating me even more.

And I found typo's in my first post, now I reread it, and I cannot fix 'm and It genuinely annoys me. Get it fixed. PLEASE!?

Even if you oonly import the 1st 3 pages on all topic lists we should have 90% of the running discussions covered and we can continue. Starting over shouldn't happen, Cause nothing was destroyed.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Donari.5237 said:Gaile, will those old posts still be available after the old forums are closed in October? As in will there be any publicly accessible full archive of the forums? The blog post suggested it's all going to go (edited:) bye bye :( (Ok, feline filter, in what way is "proof" without the r in it a dirty word?)

As I have explained, we will not be hosting an archive of the forums after around October 31st. However,
you
have the ability to archive any post that you like, using Archive.org. Go check it out!

Daww, I was even going to bring that idea up :P

@"Gaile Gray.6029": regarding the old forum: it is technically possible to write a crawler that extracts every thread from the old forum and saves it as static browseable html. No requirement for any database backend, just a bunch of html files. I can and will probably do such thing. At least with the german forum which is my "home" forum.

Unfortunately, I cannot make such an export public on my private webspace, because I don't have permission from the owners of the messages. But you have. You are the owner of the forum. Is it possible that I give you the export as purely static html files and you put it up as archive onto some spare web server of yours? For example the wiki servers? Or is it possible that you give me permission to publish it on my private webspace?

Archived