Nerf new thief spec unfriendly to the deaf.

Skeletor.9360

Even if you are not deaf...super ridiculous concept given that these guys can insta stealth over and over. while changing position quickly. You can't even AOE them because of it.

Lets list the problem :-1:1.) Attacks from stealth with only an audible warning that is very brief and if you have ANY lag you can't avoid.2.) Can stealth in about the same time someone can look around and target them.3.) Even if you see them and cast an AOE...its too late because they have moved while is stealth.4.) Class can stay in stealth and choose targets. - NO risk.

Fixes...Make that specs stealth ability cause super slow movement while in stealth.Make reentering stealth take a long time after an ambush.

@"Skeletor.9360" said:Even if you are not deaf...super ridiculous concept given that these guys can insta stealth over and over. while changing position quickly. You can't even AOE them because of it.

Lets list the problem :-1:1.) Attacks from stealth with only an audible warning that is very brief and if you have ANY lag you can't avoid.2.) Can stealth in about the same time someone can look around and target them.3.) Even if you see them and cast an AOE...its too late because they have moved while is stealth.4.) Class can stay in stealth and choose targets. - NO risk.

Fixes...Make that specs stealth ability cause super slow movement while in stealth.Make reentering stealth take a long time after an ambush.

I think you need to actually take some time to play the class before complaining. Or at least learn to change your playstyle.

1) It's an audible and visible warning. So far most people in WvW -IN A ZERG ON ZERG CLUSTER TRUCK- I've fired on have a perfectly easy time avoiding my shot if I didn't count their dodges. Malicious backstab is the one with little warning. And in all fairness, if the deadeye gets you with that, he's earned your head on a silver platter. Either you stood still and let him back stab you. He burnt a lot of utilities. Or he took Infiltrator's Signet, which isn't really that good in most circumstances.

2) They are thieves... they don't exactly fight fair. But this isn't a new concept as other classes in the game also have something infuriating about them. Warriors with two endure pains, and with intelligent management can be pretty hard to kill. Firebrand being able to get frequent access to Aegis. Reaper with three health bars. Thieves apparently get the most flack because they can do insane damage and escape, never mind not being able to take a hit. Are we supposed to sit there and take it master? Or maybe you honestly expect someone to stay and fight when the fight is going south against a class that's designed to get in your face and stay there.

3) The trick is prediction, and some CC rather than damage. A long time ago, thieves used to have the ability to break roots in a large number of ways. (which engineer has a huge one on off hand pistol, and druid's got one to my immediate knowledge). A rooted enemy is unable to dodge or in most cases shadowstep. Thieves can't shake root as easily anymore. Plus since the largest complaint so far is Deadeye with Shadow Arts... Shadow arts only removes a condition every second if they are speced for it. Most of the time they aren't, they're speced for Last Refuge (Lesser Blinding powder at 25% hp). A threshold so low that you'll be able to kill the thief before it pops.

It would be worse if they had Acrobatics which has Cat's Grace, reduces the recharge of endurance to about 5 seconds. It used to give core thief effectively 3 dodges before the nerf and release of daredevil.

But, Trickery is too good to give up because it gives us a manageable initiative pool in fights where things are able to outright stop damage without moving. And it has arguably the second best interaction with a core mechanic. Steal. This limits the build options that a thief really has, and is why Thieves have been screaming out to Anet to standardize our initiative.

And if they do give up trickery, you will notice it. Because they won't be able to escape or do a lot of burst. You'll just dunk on them.

4) There is a risk actually. Thief's utilities are a mix of "Save my Arse" and "what I need to kill this target". Normally thieves will change their utilities based on the upcoming fight. They aren't very general purpose outside a few select things. When Deadeye builds entirely for stealth, there's generally going to be very little that will actually save him when a competent player catches him.

Trickery has next to no purpose on DE thanks to M7 and rifle's disengage is second only to shortbow thanks to DRetreat.

That said, the DJ audio cue isn't the only cue - I play with the sound off and the laser is still enough of a tell to dodge.

Honestly the problems are largely still immob spamming, TRB spamming, and MBS with fire/air procs, with the long sustained/ranged stealth access the thief has available thanks to D/P and Rifle + SA + Silent Scope.

The spec itself is broken by design. Rifle is broken because ranged burst and control effects is too potent combined with core thief without any drawbacks, and DE is broken because of its pointless over-buffing to core effects/damage via things like MBS which make SA overtuned and suffer the exact same problems it did years ago when SA gave might.

I'd have to get hit by it again but I want to think I normally see the light beam connecting for the duration of shot being fired and landing even in odd peripheral angles over other stuff, and in larger fights. The beam is softer when it's from a rear corner angle maybe and the camera is panned in on it and tighter from a normal view. I think I see the beam connect then nearly right after the shot sound feels like it's very quickly pulled taut and snapped out at me. I'm trying to put some weight to the sounds but I might not be describing them right.

@kash.9213 said:I'd have to get hit by it again but I want to think I normally see the light beam connecting for the duration of shot being fired and landing even in odd peripheral angles over other stuff, and in larger fights. The beam is softer when it's from a rear corner angle maybe and the camera is panned in on it and tighter from a normal view. I think I see the beam connect then nearly right after the shot sound feels like it's very quickly pulled taut and snapped out at me. I'm trying to put some weight to the sounds but I might not be describing them right.

Rear corner angle?

@Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

@kash.9213 said:I'd have to get hit by it again but I want to think I normally see the light beam connecting for the duration of shot being fired and landing even in odd peripheral angles over other stuff, and in larger fights. The beam is softer when it's from a rear corner angle maybe and the camera is panned in on it and tighter from a normal view. I think I see the beam connect then nearly right after the shot sound feels like it's very quickly pulled taut and snapped out at me. I'm trying to put some weight to the sounds but I might not be describing them right.

Rear corner angle?

Over the shoulder from behind.

You have to adjust your camera to center your character to your monitor instead of having it close to the bottom of the screen to see more restate behind your character. Albeit, it will reduce the amount you can see in front of your character. You can also zoom out to give you a better and wide perspective.

@kash.9213 said:

Rear corner angle?

Over the shoulder from behind.

Ah ok. I think the players who don't have a problem with that actually adjusted their camera position sk they can see more around themselves from all angles

Archived