Gaile Gray.6029

• ArenaNet Staff

New forum / same request:

Please share your high-level feedback about Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire in <100 words.

This is our traditional request for your main points of feedback about our newest release. Please share your likes, dislikes, suggestions -- all are welcome. But please keep these comments to 100 words or less, and join or create other threads for a more in-depth conversation on a specific topic.

Thank you for sharing!

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the direction GW2 is going with PoF and I think it's brought out some of the best of the game and of the players. Some were ambivalent about mounts being added since they are a familiar MMO feature, but they were implemented in a new and a very fun way with how they interact with the movement of GW2. Main suggestion is to give the Collection tab its own UI as it's becoming more important but harder to navigate now.

Can we PLEASE get some affordable gear from PoF? As a newish player getting gear (exotic at least) is a MASSIVE hassle. I'm talking condi gear especially. I would appreciate some way to get exotic with at least Viper/Sinister selectable stats (if you insist on hiding Griever stats) from vendors for map currency or some other predictable grind (as in NOT RNG) without having to grind crafting on 4 separate characters.

It's getting ridiculous, I'm essentially forced to play power builds because at least I can get zerker stuff from Dungeon/HoT zones. I was really hoping that PoF coming out would mean easier access to HoT stats, I was very disappointed when that was not the case.

PoF was the best experience I've had in an MMORPG in a long time.The story was well expanded, explored, and executed. Everything was rich with lore and detail. The maps are beautiful, diverse, and pleasant to be in. Love the Weaver, Soulbeast, and Renegade elite specs. The mounts are the best addition to GW 2 so far and have been implemented so well and seamlessly. I love all the surprises, the attention to detail, the humor and ambient life everywhere, the music, the masteries, just EVERYTHING. All of it done so well down to the smallest details.

The only suggestions I have are with the depiction of villains in GW 2. Particularly with the main villain of each major story arc. Mordremoth and Balthazar are unfortunately that cliche, power-hungry, self-flattering, predictable, one-dimensional villain that always says "YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT ME!!!" Zhaitan was done very well, where it didn't need to remind us how powerful it was or taunt us throughout the story. It was just a force of nature and was actually intimidating.

I was surprised to see Balthazar depicted the way he was, and for me at least it certainly discredits him as a choice for a god to choose at character creation for human characters.

Other than that, I am so happy and satisfied with PoF. Thank you Arena Net and all involved.

Mounts are great, they are all I hoped them to be. My suggestions on Mounts would be to make it so that you instantly switch from one mount to another by pushing the appropriate button, without having to dismount first. If you think that this is too powerful during combat, you could disable that in combat and just let people dismount instead of switch when in combat. Also, Bunny could use a bit better control because positioning is so important with it. I feel the start-up acceleration of mounts is at fault here: for the bunny this means that moving tiny amounts is almost impossible. Either you hardly move, or you overshoot. For other Mounts this is not really a problem.

The maps are beautiful and varied. Actually much more diverse then the HoT maps. But they really could use some Meta events next to all the cool stuff that is already there. I feel Mounts are fast enough to cover the maps quickly without needing too many waypoints. However, this could become more of a problem if Meta events were to be implemented. I think Meta events will keep the zones better populated which would also be a win for people who are not so much into Meta events.

@DoctorWunderbar.5037 said:Pretty good. Would recommend. Change enemy spellbreaker's Winds of Disenchantment to be red to be more visable.This would be a huge QoL plus on the PvP end of things. As it stands now the little red ring is too little to be of any usefulness when there are 50 other little red rings.

:+1:Mount abilities go very well with the open map layouts.Challenging but more manageable hero point challenges. YES!Some creature designs are reasonably robust in combat. (Could use more buffs for disenchanting, but that's just me as a Spellbreaker.)

:grey_question:Would appreciate different icons for repeatable anythings on the map. Being too similar makes it look like they weren't done.

:-1:HoT's charging-knockdown AI meta has been replaced with PoF's perma-blind meta. STOP with the constant CC auto attacks.Finding out I can't spend contracts because I need them for buying mounts was a kick in the shin.

(More to come as I progress, but top-top level feedback? Game is fun, yo.)

Overall I love the expansion, it's amazing.

I think both expansions have had a lot of disparity in elite specialization usefulness, uniqueness, and mechanics. I understand different developers have different strengths and weaknesses, and because of that I think the devs should rotate and touch all of the elite specs during development, they would be more consistent and balanced that way.

Story was brilliant!Maps look nice, but seems there's little reason to revisit most parts of them.Mob difficulty is a good balance, generally easy but can get into trouble if you're not careful.Combat detection makes it very frustrating trying to cross a map as you can't always change mounts when you need to, kills the flow of movement.Lack of map wide metas is a huge dissapointment! There's very little map chat compared to HoT, nothing that needs group cooperation, and no reason to group up for anything other than bounties. Even HPs & MP fights were all easily soloable, shame no group ones.PoF feels more like a single player DLC rather than an MMO expansion (but still a great single player DLC)

PoF = best gaming money I've spent since... buying HoT! Was a mount skeptic, but absolutely love its implementation here.

Only change I would suggest is the removal of invisible pathing blockers near certain masteries, replacing them with visible terrain/jump-blocking ledges, etc. I feel invisible walls do injustice to the overall visual richness of PoF and the game at large.

Less than 100 words not doable, sorry. There is too much to say. :) Of course, you can always skip the "Praise" section and get straight to the criticism. ;)

Praise:

Item mechanics:

• unidentified items leave you a choice (to salvage or to open)
  • left-over event items (trophies) no longer need to be deleted, you can exchange them for karma and other useful stuff at different heart vendors
  • you don’t lose your equipped (event-related) item when you mount or glide

Mounts:

• the mechanics invented for the several mounts are so much fun, I really hope we will see more of it in future content (not more mounts, but further content that makes use of their abilities; of course, adding a horse mount still wouldn't hurt ;) )
  • great creature design and animations, but that goes for all of PoF’s creatures/monsters/NPCs

Maps:

• ideal layout for exploration, engaging and exciting
  • breathtaking designs (architecture, environment, ambient sounds), including the story instances <3
  • enjoyable, atmospheric soundtrack
  • an event system that doesn’t usually stress you out nor limits your options at any time; also, many events require you to use your brain in order to figure out what to do, which I welcome
  • finally, there is real adventure to be had during exploration by going everywhere to discover treasure, unlock new collections and simply feel rewarded for taking your time to explore an area (in previous releases, so much potential was constantly wasted, but not this time)
  • engaging in conversations with NPCs no longer feels pointless and tedious (where you would simply skip through dialogue) but is filled with rich lore, important hints, etc.
  • wonderful ambient dialogue that often has you stop and listen, making your environment feel “alive”

Story/Writing:

• the story is so well written and perfectly paced that I find myself completely immersed in it, excited, surprised, shocked, moved, a whole bandwidth of emotions that good writing evokes in the recipient; I constantly find myself craving for more, impatient to see what happens next <3 (and still am for the rest of the story)
  • the player character’s personal background finally matters again, though only in small portions ("I was blessed by Lyssa at birth."), so I wish they made more use of it and gave it more depth and significance :/
  • the quality of dialogue was mostly superb, the best by far in this game (no more super infantile humor and bad jokes, silly conversations, severe out-of-character behavior, and what have you; the only thing that got on my nerves that way was the childish banter between Canach and Rytlock, and especially Rytlock has become too much of a whiner in PoF)

Miscellaneous:

• your brain gets stimulated in so many different ways that you never get bored; be it side quests, Hero Point challenges, Mastery Point missions, and so on; instead of having all the focus primarily on fighting, like it was with most of the previous content, you now have a huge variety of different tasks (kudos!).

Criticism/Suggestions:

Item mechanics:

• you cannot rely on the color of common (green) and uncommon (blue) unidentified items, as some do contain rare (yellow) items as well

Mounts:

• idea: quick mount swap UI button; just like you have two sets of weapons and two pets between which you can swap, give us that option for mounts as well?
  • please make it possible to activate your respective mount as soon as the enemy is dead or you are no longer being targeted, even when you are still suffering from conditions (the wait time for conditions to expire in such situations is tedious)
  • please make it possible to activate the Skimmer even while taking damage from sulfur (equal to quicksand, where you can activate it at any time)
  • dismounting often leaves your character at a different spot than where they were standing before while mounted, which can easily lead to your toon falling off the ledge
  • dismounting for every action quickly becomes irritating; maybe change to remain mounted when engaging in dialogue, picking up event objects to carry to target, etc.?
  • make mounts available to your companions in more story missions than just the Forged fortress one
  • make it possible to switch to the glider (by holding Space) if you accidentally fall off a great height while mounted (so you don’t have to wait until you finally hit the ground, then have to work all the way back up)

Maps:

• many mobs have a disturbingly huge aggro range and/or respawn time, making some areas painful to traverse or explore
  • stop enemies from interrupting dialogue; for instance, I was in a conversation with Defector Basma, but couldn't read her full response, because I had to dodge an AoE attack by a Jacaranda above me (which, once more, leads me to the annoying aggro range)
  • some events overlap, getting in the way of each other and making it hard to survive unless there are other players around to help you deal with the mobs
  • you often are forced to fight, whether you want to or not, due to the aforementioned issues

Story/Writing:

• even though we had one option to make a seemingly significant choice (between the two factions and neutrality), it turned out to be of no consequence, which was a huge disappointment :(
  • although a major improvement to LWS3, the dialogue could still use a little less contemporary wording by the PC and her/his companions (e.g., use “Are you alright?” instead of “You okay?”)

Miscellaneous:

• people have been complaining about the difficulty level of some fights; there is a reason I started PoF with my Necromancer first (usually, my first character is my Ranger), because of his high survivability, damage, and elite spec boni (I am not sure it will be as easy with my Ranger...)
  • the new character selection screen: please read
  • some event notifications in the UI are huge spoilers, that was a bummer

1) Too often dismounted, no need to dismount when speaking. No need for extra animations either. Just open dialogue panel.2) Mobs have extreme aggro range + significant mob density = dismount face planting personal hatred3) Deadeye rifle skills refuses to fire if mob isn't within narrow front cone; pistols seem to fire if the enemy is 180 degrees in front; need to be same4) Jump key = Deadeye kneeling ends as if pressing the skill key5) Thief character sometimes stops dead. Requires several movement key presses to get moving again. Random occurrence.6) Too bad so many things are clearly designed to be gemstore-to-gold transactions (griffon, jackal if no heart, etc etc etc)

Positives: =) =)-Mounts, which seemed like a foreign idea in gw2, were implemented so flawlessly that they instantly felt they belonged in a game that strives so hard to break conventions

-map design is amazing, should be considered an industry standard for amazing world building

-story seems to be maturing, and the delivery of story through instanced content and ambient lore is amazing

Negatives: :'( :'(-elite specs can feel alittle too niche, spell breaker/mirage

-i agree PoF doesn't need metas, but a lack of epic open world encounters is slightly disappointing. I'm sure there's a balance somewhere that would please both crowds without invalidating HoT.

Story was avesome. Maps looks great and so wonderful (have tons of screenshots) But......after launch PoF most of map are empty..... i am done story and some collection, take all mounts and nothing to do more for me. its sad but true. Bounty boards is boring. There is nothing more to do in the new locations

@Ashantara.8731 said:Less than 100 words not doable, sorry. There is too much to say. :) Of course, you can always skip the "Praise" section and get straight to the criticism. ;)

Praise:

Item mechanics:

• unidentified items leave you a choice (to salvage or to open)
  • left-over event items (trophies) no longer need to be deleted, you can exchange them for karma and other useful stuff at different heart vendors
  • you don’t lose your equipped (event-related) item when you mount or glide

Mounts:

• the mechanics invented for the several mounts are so much fun, I really hope we will see more of it in future content (not more mounts, but further content that makes use of their abilities; of course, adding a horse mount still wouldn't hurt ;) )
  • great creature design and animations, but that goes for all of PoF’s creatures/monsters/NPCs

Maps:

• ideal layout for exploration, engaging and exciting
  • breathtaking designs (architecture, environment, ambient sounds), including the story instances <3
  • enjoyable, atmospheric soundtrack
  • an event system that doesn’t usually stress you out nor limits your options at any time; also, many events require you to use your brain in order to figure out what to do, which I welcome
  • finally, there is real adventure to be had during exploration by going everywhere to discover treasure, unlock new collections and simply feel rewarded for taking your time to explore an area (in previous releases, so much potential was constantly wasted, but not this time)
  • engaging in conversations with NPCs no longer feels pointless and tedious (where you would simply skip through dialogue) but is filled with rich lore, important hints, etc.
  • wonderful ambient dialogue that often has you stop and listen, making your environment feel “alive”

Story/Writing:

• the story is so well written and perfectly paced that I find myself completely immersed in it, excited, surprised, shocked, moved, a whole bandwidth of emotions that good writing evokes in the recipient; I constantly find myself craving for more, impatient to see what happens next <3 (and still am for the rest of the story)
  • the player character’s personal background finally matters again, though only in small portions ("I was blessed by Lyssa at birth."), so I wish they made more use of it and gave it more depth and significance :/
  • the quality of dialogue was mostly superb, the best by far in this game (no more super infantile humor and bad jokes, silly conversations, severe out-of-character behavior, and what have you; the only thing that got on my nerves that way was the childish banter between Canach and Rytlock, and especially Rytlock has become too much of a whiner in PoF)

Miscellaneous:

• your brain gets stimulated in so many different ways that you never get bored; be it side quests, Hero Point challenges, Mastery Point missions, and so on; instead of having all the focus primarily on fighting, like it was with most of the previous content, you now have a huge variety of different tasks (kudos!).

Criticism/Suggestions:

Item mechanics:

• you cannot rely on the color of common (green) and uncommon (blue) unidentified items, as some do contain rare (yellow) items as well

Mounts:

• idea: quick mount swap UI button; just like you have two sets of weapons and two pets between which you can swap, give us that option for mounts as well?
  • please make it possible to activate your respective mount as soon as the enemy is dead or you are no longer being targeted, even when you are still suffering from conditions (the wait time for conditions to expire in such situations is tedious)
  • please make it possible to activate the Skimmer even while taking damage from sulfur (equal to quicksand, where you can activate it at any time)
  • dismounting often leaves your character at a different spot than where they were standing before while mounted, which can easily lead to your toon falling off the ledge
  • dismounting for every action quickly becomes irritating; maybe change to remain mounted when engaging in dialogue, picking up event objects to carry to target, etc.?
  • make mounts available to your companions in more story missions than just the Forged fortress one
  • make it possible to switch to the glider (by holding Space) if you accidentally fall off a great height while mounted (so you don’t have to wait until you finally hit the ground, then have to work all the way back up)

Maps:

• many mobs have a disturbingly huge aggro range and/or respawn time, making some areas painful to traverse or explore
  • stop enemies from interrupting dialogue; for instance, I was in a conversation with Defector Basma, but couldn't read her full response, because I had to dodge an AoE attack by a Jacaranda above me (which, once more, leads me to the annoying aggro range)
  • some events overlap, getting in the way of each other and making it hard to survive unless there are other players around to help you deal with the mobs
  • you often are forced to fight, whether you want to or not, due to the aforementioned issues

Story/Writing:

• even though we had one option to make a seemingly significant choice (between the two factions and neutrality), it turned out to be of no consequence, which was a huge disappointment :(
  • although a major improvement to LWS3, the dialogue could still use a little less contemporary wording by the PC and her/his companions (e.g., use “Are you alright?” instead of “You okay?”)

Miscellaneous:

• people have been complaining about the difficulty level of some fights; there is a reason I started PoF with my Necromancer first (usually, my first character is my Ranger), because of his high survivability, damage, and elite spec boni (I am not sure it will be as easy with my Ranger...)
  • the new character selection screen: please read
  • some event notifications in the UI are huge spoilers, that was a bummer

please keep these comments to 100 words or less, and join or create other threads for a more in-depth conversation on a specific topic.

Took two days off for a four-day expansion weekend--well-spent. Maps are beautiful. Mobs are interesting-- a couple of mechanics (invuln. to ranged?!) had me yelling "those kittens!" (affectionately). Being forced to switch my longbow ranger to melee weapons in PvE once in a while should improve my PvP skill.

Callbacks to GW1 are great--loved that "didn't this used to be above ground?" feeling. Story overall was a good experience, though I thought

! Vlast was under-utilized. The refrigerator is no place to put a dragon.

Love my mounts.

Looking forward to more time in Elona.

@Seasniffer.1763 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Less than 100 blah blah blahMounts:
  • idea: quick mount swap UI button; just like you have two sets of weapons and two pets between which you can swap, give us that option for mounts as well?Option>key binding>(in the end of list)mounts hot key.Profit.

=) List

• Story was a huge leap forward, amazing
  • Loved the lore in npc dialog and page collections
  • I love how the last mastery lines tie them together and how you actually need to do an event to get particular mounts.

:/ List

• No huge bosses/meta events with unique rewards tied to it.
  • No long term goals besides griffon, like legendary trinkets
  • No new crafting or 500 crafting
  • No mastery variety besides mounts
  • Elite spec balancing off.
  • Didn't hear much about what pvp and wvw got, but it sounds disappointing in that area.
  • Was hoping to get one new dungeon or fractal with more dialog and cutscenes, but didn't really expect it.