Tips on tipping etiquette?

Harfang.1507

Last night I joined a HP train in Verdant Brink. Once we moved over to the next zone, our commander gently solicited tips. She totally deserved it. My problem is that as a hardcore solo player, I have no clue of what would be deem an adequate tip. What is extravagant? What is cheap? Tips?

Anything is a good tip even if it is only a few silver. Don't worry about it. Some don't even tip in such situations so anything with a nice note in the mail showing appreciation for their help should be fine. For a lot of players that help others a sincere thanks is often worth more than the coin attached to the mail. :)

What most said, tip what you can afford if you want to tip. I guess if you want a specific value then 10s per hero point comes close to how much you likely made per hero point and thus you are simply passing on the reward while keeping the unlocks.

That said, I personally tip more if the commander and the experience was fun and entertaining (depends a lot on other people too) and how difficult the task was (which has more to do with how organized the commander is, not actual game difficulty). I also have to add though that I have not joined a HP train in over 1 year since I can/have the possibility to unlock both elite specializations on new characters with simply running through HoT and PoF so I'm unsure how current paths are.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:If you want to tip, I say just tip whatever amount you are comfortable giving. Don't worry about whether you're tipping too much or too little. Every player is going to have their own threshold on what is considered a lot of money to them.

I agree.

Tips are nice but not required (we're not talking American waitresses here, they will survive without the tips) and everyone will have different ideas of what's affordable. So tip what you think their help was worth.

If you want to get creative, rare mats out of your bank can make a good alternative. If the tag has some project their working on, contributing toward that feels more personalized then gold. I've seen instance where a regular HP train tag got a gifted Peacock Scepter skin, since she had commenting about saving up gems for it during the run.

If you need a rule of thumb.... Most tags that ask for tips only expect like 20-50% of the people to actually do it. They don't expect a specific amount either, though 10s is something of common minimum since 10s is pretty easy to come by. I would suggest a "how much is my time worth" measure of tipping; where you go by how much time you saved, and how much gold you could had casually made in that time/effort saved. This being an estimation of your income rate, if you're the really productive type, then you can spare a decent amount of gold or some rare mats in compensation.

Its also typical to offer a little extra bonus for things that are abnormally difficult. This usually doesn't apply to HP trains- But JPs like Chalice of Tears (which are designed to be hard to skip) I'll throw in Extra coins just on the fact that any memser whose willing to do the whole thing, or stagger multiple characters at the check points, earned a higher rate. This is especially true of ones who also make stops for achievement objectives. I've given as much as 10g for badge runs, as some of those achievements are just straight up sadistic. For HP trains, it depends on how thorough or difficult the runs are.

As everyone else said, tip what you feel comfortable and are able to tip. I've run a few groups through map completion and HP completion in VB, AB, and TD. Never LFG'd them, just ran across people needing help and ended up running them all over the place. I never asked for tips, but one guy dropped me a note with 20g after I logged off for the night. Why do I do it? Because helping people and teaching is fun for me. It's just something that i really enjoy, and GW2 is perfect for that. Same with when I do ports at JPs, tip or don't, I'm having fun just helping people (and I almost always tip when I receive a port, especially on hard JP's). I never turn a tip down, because you obviously thought my help was worth it.

@derd.6413 said:10g is the minimum requirement for tipping, anything less is insulting

The reasonable minimum level of tips is entirely contextual, a categorical statement like this is utterly absurd.I want to tip the mesmers offering ports to daily JPs - tipping more than a gold (half of what the daily gives) is counterproductive - I could just skip the daily that day then. I usually tip 50s for those.Chalice of Tears or Not So Secret? That stuff's worth several gold! The people who port those are friggin heroes!

Archived