Focus on main only?

smoker.6731

Hi

I started this game with Necro and I am mastry level 39 now. I got 2 boosts and few character slot, after HoT and PoF. Other than Necro, I have created other races too, warrior (used 80 level boost), ele (used 80 level boost), ranger, mesmer and engineer.

At this point where I am playing necro whole day, playing pvp, pve and fractals, should I also give time to other characters? Or I should focus on main only and learn more about game?

If I should take few hours out for other characters, what should I do? Map completion? Fractals?

I'm not sure what you are asking, how are we supposed to answer a purely subjective question?

Are you enjoying your necromancer? Are you enjoying all the things you do with him? What are your long term goals? Are you enjoying other classes? How important are mastery ranks to you (aka do you want to rush to max mastery rank or not)?

You are literally asking strangers who do not know you at all if they think you should play a different class and if you would enjoy it. I guess yes, only to try out a different class/es?

Playing different professions and having their elite specs unlocked might be useful, if you play PvP or WvW - the more you know about the professions you meet as opponents, the easier it is to counter them. Other than that, there's little to no reasons to play characters you don't like.

@smoker.6731 If your big list of things to do includes getting close to 100% of achievements achieved, then yes, you must give at least some time to other characters because:

• There are achievements that are locked to a single class (e.g. Elite Specialization Weapon collections - all of which involve map-completing a PoF or HoT map with the relevant class at level 80(1)).
  • There are achievements that are tied to a single race (e.g. Personal Story chapters 1 and 2, but also a specific one in the beginning of HoT that is restricted to Sylvari only)
  • There are achievements that are restricted to a single path through the Personal Story (e.g. which order you join in Chapter 3)

If you want to make more than two first-generation Legendary weapons, you'll need to do Central Tyria map completion on more than one character.

It's possible to level all crafting disciplines to maximum (for the relevant Master and Grandmaster craftsman achievements) by switching around on a single character, but that seems wasteful to me - it costs 40 or 50 silver to switch back to a fully-trained discipline, and levelling a crafting discipline to max does not require you to level up the character to max along with it.

A major objection to spreading your time applies much less to GW2 than it does to certain other games. It's relatively easy to level a GW2 character to maximum level, and once it's done on that character, it's done forever. Compare this to e.g. Runes of Magic, where the time expenditure of levelling characters becomes progressively more and more onerous as you level up, so any time you spend levelling an alt is time you aren't helping to advance your main up the level ladder.

(1) Examples: To complete the collection for Ydalir, the Dragonhunter's Longbow, you must map-complete a HoT map with a Guardian, either core or one of the elite specs. To complete the collection for a PoF elite-spec weapon, there are at least four class-specific activities - map-complete, mount-race participation, throwing a coin in a wishing well in Vabbi, and defeating a Caffeinated Skritt Burglar.

I'm sticking to engineer for a good time because I really love the class.

Although if you are playing with a group/guild, and you do a lot of content with them (and I mean Raids and Fractals), and if you really feel solidary about helping them out, you should consider to at least make the mandatory Chronomancer character if that is what you're asking. "There is no meta without a Chronomancer".Or a healer class, any "healer class" can work on Fractals but a Druid is obligatory for Raids.

You'll be fine playing 100% with one class though.

@Boysenberry.1869 said:A nice thing about the game is that there is no should. All you have to do is log in and play however you'd like. If you feel like playing Necro, go for it! If you feel like playing something else, then do that. There's no wrong answer.

This

I have many toons across diff maps, stories and activities. Plus a main. Gw2 is designed to do what you want, when you want and (mostly) how you want

@"smoker.6731" said:Hi

I started this game with Necro and I am mastry level 39 now. I got 2 boosts and few character slot, after HoT and PoF. Other than Necro, I have created other races too, warrior (used 80 level boost), ele (used 80 level boost), ranger, mesmer and engineer.

At this point where I am playing necro whole day, playing pvp, pve and fractals, should I also give time to other characters? Or I should focus on main only and learn more about game?

If I should take few hours out for other characters, what should I do? Map completion? Fractals?

The ONLY thing I would suggest is to get your "main" 100% map completion just so you will have no trouble porting to any part of core tyria for daily jumping puzzles, events, guild missions, etc.

I would suggest though that you don't try to play too many new characters at the same time, so you can familiarize yourself with that profession's abilities and build, develop muscle memory for keybinds, etc.

If you PvP/WvW, play all professions to understand mechanics/counters. If not, play your main only (unless you don't like it or need some kind of achievement that requires a switch). It's a real pain going through world completion, personal story, etc all over again. I'd wait till you get tired of ur current spec or max out then change.

It depends. Do whatever you like to do.

For myself: I prefer to stay focused. I almost always play my main Elementalist. I'm a completionist and I find it a lot easier to keep track on things on my main main character.

But there is more to explore when you play different races and professions. If only to experience the personal story of every race in game. Playing different professions can be fun, or confusing. At least it is a great way to discover the strengths and weaknesses of the other professions. This will be valuable information when you get to play against them in PvP or WvW.

In short: I have a character for every race and every profession for achievements and story. But I focus on my main Elly.

As others have stated. It's entirely up to you. I've stuck with my engi; done world completion, the entire LW S2, 3, currently doing 4 with him, along with the pof and hot storylines. Crafted all the way to 500 on leather and huntsman with him, got med asc armour on him. Got both e-spec unlocked. Basically went through a lot with him over the years. That's not to say I don't have other classes. And I do enjoy playing them at times in open world, but they do require a bit of time spent on them if you want to learn them.

Honestly, do what the hell you want to do. I've played Engi since the release all the way up to now, the other classes bore me and I love everything I went through with my main character. The time you spend is always valuable, whether you're only on one class forever or all of them over a dozen characters.

Archived