Function Gyro does nothing, ever.

Arkham Creed.7358

I never really used the scrapper before, but I've been using it of late and tonight I got my first opportunity to actually use the function gryo; that sniper hunt mission of the current living world episode. I figured the ability to rez my friend at range if she catches a stray bullet would be very useful....if it worked. And it didn't. No prompt, nothing, just a useless little orange bot hovering over my shoulder. After digging I learned it has some trait effect to alert you when it is charged...allegedly. I say allegedly because there is no alert; this thing NEVER charges. At all. It is useless, does nothing. It's either some kind of bug or this function has been removed form the game...

@"Dawdler.8521" said:Dont care about function gyro anymore, got half the cd on sneak gyro just by dodging.

Also it was working last I checked yesterday. There is no "charge alert" - if the gyro is there its ready. You need to target people to use it.

Indeed you do, but I never get a prompt, targeting or not.

in fashion wars 2 character uniqueness is the most important trait, and no other spec has that little orange bot hovering over shoulder, so i guess Function Gyro does that perfectly, i only wish it could be customized, with polish, colors and shiney infusions

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Dragoonxs.9285 said:Is the function Gyro the worst Elite spec mechanic?

Without a doubt. It does almost nothing to contribute to gameplay in any meaningful sense, other than potentially allowing you to rez or stomp while doing something else.

And in my case not even that. Doesn't even work when I'm standing right over my target. Worst elite mechanic by far.

Interesting Topic as I find the function gyro being awesome in all game modes, I really cannot say that it does not work for me, I can always get it activated on downed allies/enemies. The only way for an enemy to avoid it is by CCing it.I even used it in the past on raids (Matthias) where it helps a lot in rezzing downed Players fast (e.g. in damage fields).When playing scrapper it is mainly because of the function gyro possibilities :)

@Prinzsecond.4863 said:Interesting Topic as I find the function gyro being awesome in all game modes, I really cannot say that it does not work for me, I can always get it activated on downed allies/enemies. The only way for an enemy to avoid it is by CCing it.I even used it in the past on raids (Matthias) where it helps a lot in rezzing downed Players fast (e.g. in damage fields).When playing scrapper it is mainly because of the function gyro possibilities :)

Yeah, super useful when playing solo, for instance.Or when killing world bosses.Or if you need to revive some NPC.Or for stomping mobs.

@Ardid.7203 said:

@Prinzsecond.4863 said:Interesting Topic as I find the function gyro being awesome in all game modes, I really cannot say that it does not work for me, I can always get it activated on downed allies/enemies. The only way for an enemy to avoid it is by CCing it.I even used it in the past on raids (Matthias) where it helps a lot in rezzing downed Players fast (e.g. in damage fields).When playing scrapper it is mainly because of the function gyro possibilities :)

Yeah, super useful when playing solo, for instance.Or when killing world bosses.Or if you need to revive some NPC.Or for stomping mobs.

Getting a special action when downed to use it on yourself would be awesome, but still not enough to make it a decent class mechanic.

I'm not sure what you're doing but it works fine for me. I also find it to be awesome when in PvP as I can use it to revive a friend without painting a huge target on me or I can use it to stomp a downed foe without, again, painting a huge target on me. Once you get used to it one can effortlessly move from stomp/rez while taking on other people. I've never had a problem using it when I need it.

@Dace.8173 said:I'm not sure what you're doing but it works fine for me. I also find it to be awesome when in PvP as I can use it to revive a friend without painting a huge target on me or I can use it to stomp a downed foe without, again, painting a huge target on me. Once you get used to it one can effortlessly move from stomp/rez while taking on other people. I've never had a problem using it when I need it.

PvP: dies to random cleave in any fight with 2 or more enemies. Do you not find it gets interrupted or just killed by people who aren't even aware it's there? Eg. if there's a holosmith anywhere nearby, it'll get cc'd by shockwave and/or killed by random corona burst pulses.

WvW: completely unusable in a zerg fight - dies instantly - but good in solo and small group roaming because there's less random aoe spam and fights are a bit more spaced out compared to PvP.PvE: completely useless

They should change the function gyro from using the F-command to replacing the F1 healing toolbelt skill, and give it extra support features hat change based on which major trait is selected. Maybe make it ground targeted too.

• Rapid Regeneration : Allies under 50% downed health are revived faster. Healing on self is increased while reviving.
  • Expert Examination : Reveals enemies around the target and makes downed allies invulnerable for 1.5s.
  • Mass Momentum : Breaks stun on allies and gives them stability. Revived allies gain 2s of superspeed.

Then give scrappers a second Action Gyro that replaces the F5 elite toolbelt skill, and this one would have offensive and control capabilities, dealing damage to enemies. It would be an ammo skill with a short 1s recharge on the skill and no count recharge. Instead having a cooldown on ammo, it would gain charges based on a precondition determined by the selected grandmaster trait. It would also gain extra powers based on which Grandmaster trait is selected:

• Adaptive Armor: Action Gyro gains a charge whenever the scrapper loses 33% of their base health, Action Gyro now also gives barrier to self and allies around the enemy.
  • Final Salvo: Action Gyro gains a charge whenever the scrapper interrupts an enemy, strikes target enemy with a dazing lightning strike. (plus Final Salvo's own effects, of course)
  • Applied Force: Action Gyro gains a charge whenever Applied Force triggers, and it is now an Explosion, a blast finisher, and gives might to allies.

Scrapper could use some love. Something that makes them less of a "Core engineer+" and more of something truly unique.

Also, GW2 could use some sort of "damage staggering" effect as a new mechanic. Like how they added skill ammo and barriers as new mechanics.Then once that mechanic exists, it could be applied to certain NPCs that are too squishy, like the Gyros and the Renegade spirits.Damage staggering would not prevent damage from happening, it would just delay it, so these NPCs would still die, but they may last a bit longer as the damage takes longer to happen.

@coro.3176 said:

@Dace.8173 said:I'm not sure what you're doing but it works fine for me. I also find it to be awesome when in PvP as I can use it to revive a friend without painting a huge target on me or I can use it to stomp a downed foe without, again, painting a huge target on me. Once you get used to it one can effortlessly move from stomp/rez while taking on other people. I've never had a problem using it when I need it.

PvP: dies to random cleave in any fight with 2 or more enemies. Do you not find it gets interrupted or just killed by people who aren't even aware it's there? Eg. if there's a holosmith anywhere nearby, it'll get cc'd by shockwave and/or killed by random corona burst pulses.

WvW: completely unusable in a zerg fight - dies instantly - but good in solo and small group roaming because there's less random aoe spam and fights are a bit more spaced out compared to PvP.PvE: completely useless

I'm not making the claim that it succeeds 100% of the time. No ability that you can use will always work and there are going to be times when any given ability you use will be stopped. However, it is far from useless and I have no issue getting it to work. Sure there are things that can stop it but anything that can stop the Gyro is likely to stop a person from doing it too, the only difference being I'd rather them kill my Gyro while it's trying to do its thing than them killing me when I'm attempting to do the same.

It's not like I couldn't stop a Holosmith with cleave from actually using his cleave or corona bursts. The idea that it is useless just because it can be stopped is ludicrous since just above everything in the game can be interrupted or stopped by any number of ways. It's one of many tools I have to use and if I happen to be playing Scrapper then I find it to be a bonus to what I'm doing. I wouldn't base a build around it or anything like that but it is a far cry from completely useless.

@Dace.8173 said:

It's not like I couldn't stop a Holosmith with cleave from actually using his cleave or corona bursts. The idea that it is useless just because it can be stopped is ludicrous since just above everything in the game can be interrupted or stopped by any number of ways. It's one of many tools I have to use and if I happen to be playing Scrapper then I find it to be a bonus to what I'm doing. I wouldn't base a build around it or anything like that but it is a far cry from completely useless.

Exactly my words. It is a Special Mechanic that can be veery cool in all PvP modes including WvW and also when freelancing with friends in PvE where a rezz can be veery nice against champion Mobs for example.And it also can be stopped ofc, it would be far to imbalanced if function gyro provides you an unstoppable ranged finisher each 20 seconds.

@Prinzsecond.4863 said:

Exactly my words. It is a Special Mechanic that can be veery cool in all PvP modes including WvW and also when freelancing with friends in PvE where a rezz can be veery nice against champion Mobs for example.And it also can be stopped ofc, it would be far to imbalanced if function gyro provides you an unstoppable ranged finisher each 20 seconds.

The problem is that its function is generally incongruous with what scrapper is able to do.

The only time function gyro really shined was when a scrapper went 1v2 or 1v3 and was able to finish opponents while holding their own. Now, as in many cases, it's not common for scrappers to even hold their own in duels against equally skilled opponents. It's even rarer for them to down someone they didn't catch off guard.

The function gyro has always been bad in teamfights because cleave absolutely murders the hell out of it. Thus, it was always best for bruiser 1vX situations. The problem is scrapper doesn't even hold there, so the mechanic is extremely weak. This means that ArenaNet needs to improve the scrapper back to its previous state, or function gyro needs to be reworked.

Archived