Balance Patch Feedback: Make Deflecting Shot(LB#3) Baseline

Doomdesire.9365

While we are on the topic of DH changes, why not make knockback from LB#3 baseline like other ranged weapons? Why have such an important function of a weapon behind a trait, let alone one that competes with other grandmaster traits? The payoff of this trait isn't guaranteed either, because LB3 itself is one of the hardest skills to consistently land in the game(competitive modes). If you want to run LB, you're pretty much locked into this trait because deflecting shot and LB as a whole is otherwise subpar. It might sound counter intuitive at first, but having it tied to a GM trait kills a lot of choice since you're shoehorned into Heavy Light if you want to run LB. We would see a lot more build diversity if this was not the case. Being able to play LB DH using the new BGH or Hunters Fortification would be amazing and go a long way(if not the entire way) towards making DH a viable pick in the current meta.

Here's my suggestion:*Make knockback from deflecting shot(LB#3) baseline. Keep the stability portion tied to Heavy Light, and maybe add something like swiftness or protection to Heavy Light to make it competitive with other GM traits. The last portion isn't necessary, though. Simply making knockback baseline would make a lot of DHs happy.

Alternatively/in addition to what is proposed here:

Heavy Light should grant quickness rather than stability. You're not going to need stability because whatever you just CCed is likely going to be on the defensive now, plus they're blinded (assuming you just hit with Deflecting Shot). It's counter-intuitive to have an offensive CC reward you with a minor amount of a defensive boon that you won't end up needing. On the other hand, quickness will enhance the burst that you're most likely to follow up with.

@Arcaedus.7290 said:Alternatively/in addition to what is proposed here:

Heavy Light should grant quickness rather than stability. You're not going to need stability because whatever you just CCed is likely going to be on the defensive now, plus they're blinded (assuming you just hit with Deflecting Shot). It's counter-intuitive to have an offensive CC reward you with a minor amount of a defensive boon that you won't end up needing. On the other hand, quickness will enhance the burst that you're most likely to follow up with.

I 100% agree

Also a good alternative, although I fear they're shy on any substantial DH buffs since they're so afraid to extend the 10% buff to sPvP. If so, Deflecting Shot and no change to Heavy Light would still be better than what we have now, even if not ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

What about a high amount of vulnerability(25 stacks for 3 seconds)? I'm not a fan of their recent tendency to hand out quickness like candy

@Doomdesire.9365 said:

Also a good alternative, although I fear they're shy on any substantial DH buffs since they're so afraid to extend the 10% buff to sPvP. If so, Deflecting Shot and no change to Heavy Light would still be better than what we have now, even if not ideal.

I am not sure why wouldn’t Anet consider extending the 10% damage to sPvP. It’s not like DH is anywhere close to being meta.

@"mrauls.6519" said:This one change would make DH meta. Being able to take BGH would be insane

You really think so? It would make DH viable again for sure, but I wouldn't go as far as to say META. Seems like in order to be META these days you have to be good at multiple roles which DH will never be unless there is a massive redesign. It would make it very versatile though. Just the thought of being able to actually choose between Hunter's Fortification and BGH without needing to sacrifice LB features sounds amazing since they're both good options in PvP depending on what you're up against.

The way is works right now is odd, to say the least. DH LB sees very little use in basically all game modes. There's really no reason why such a weak weapon should, on top of that, require us to invest in a grandmaster trait to unlock it's full functionality.

@FtoPScrub.5476 said:

What about a high amount of vulnerability(25 stacks for 3 seconds)? I'm not a fan of their recent tendency to hand out quickness like candy

I see your point, but I think it wouldn't be game-breaking or contribute heavily to power creep. Quickness after a CC affords more versatility. You could use the quickness by following up with a burst, heal skill, or defensive utility. That being said, short dura 25 vuln after a CC would be great too although far less useful in a team fight or vs. certain opponents since it can get cleansed or covered by resistance.

Archived