Asking a L2P question

CRrabbit.1284

Return to GW2 not long ago for POF. Today I am running on my power LB/GS soulbeast in WvW. As usual I hide behind other player and pew pew pew from long range. However, I saw a unkillable Thief (neither a deadeye nor daredevil but a thief), he pretty much 1v5 and killed everyone multiple times. So I target him and get big surprise and don't understand.My soulbeast has 4k power, 100% crit, and 245% crit damage at that time, my LB aa can hit player 3-5k easily. However, towards this thief, I can only do 1k damage max at long range, I tried to shoot him multiple times and even check back combat log, the best I did to him with LB aa is 1.1k and I am pretty sure he doesn't even have protection on. I just can't understand how this happen, I pretty much already max the damage in the game but with 4k power + 100% crit + 245% crit damage + Sick em= only 1k damage damage per hit, I guess it's a L2P problem, maybe there is some hidden mechanism I don't know??? Never have problem VS deadeye or daredevil, but first time to meet a thief.

@shadowpass.4236 said:He could've been a condi thief with Dire/Trailblazer stats.

so what? I usually hit a full bunker FB with protection on 2k+ per shot, the thief can build more armor than a guardian>? based on gw2 damage fomula he need to have at least 10k+ armor to revieve only 1k damage from my shot, how that's possible?? and he is just unkillable and 1v 5-10 kill everyone all the time. seems no one can do any damage to him.

@CRrabbit.1284 said:

@"shadowpass.4236" said:He could've been a condi thief with Dire/Trailblazer stats.

so what? I usually hit a full bunker FB with protection on 2k+ per shot, the thief can build more armor than a guardian>? based on gw2 damage fomula he need to have at least 10k+ armor to revieve only 1k damage from my shot, how that's possible?? and he is just unkillable and 1v 5-10 kill everyone all the time. seems no one can do any damage to him.

Was he condi or power?

DireTrailblazer

3.5k armor and very high condition damage. Both of these builds are incredibly tanky and deal a lot of damage.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:He could've been a condi thief with Dire/Trailblazer stats.

Was he condi or power?

3.5k armor and very high condition damage. Both of these builds are incredibly tanky and deal a lot of damage.

he is the typical old school power dagger thief. his damage is so so, even had hard time to kill a bunker FB. the point is how he can have such high armor. he is 1 vs 5~10 players, my bunker FB has 3.8k armour but against 10 players I will get melt in 10 seconds, but we have tried to kill him for more than 15 mins, never able to get his HP down to even half, he is tougher than a raid boss.

@CRrabbit.1284 said:

Was he condi or power?

he is the typical old school power dagger thief. his damage is so so, even had hard time to kill a bunker FB. the point is how he can have such high armor. he is 1 vs 5~10 players, my bunker FB has 3.8k armour but against 10 players I will get melt in 10 seconds, but we have tried to kill him for more than 15 mins, never able to get his HP down to even half, he is tougher than a raid boss.

Could've been evade spamming, stealth spamming.

You said he was winning 1v5 killing everyone multiple times but his damage was only so-so? That honestly just sounds like those players weren't very good.

There's also this build. Although by today's standards this build might not be very good, an old thief youtuber used a similar build to kill noobs in WvW. This build heals for 3k health every time he uses Cloak and Dagger, deals 4.5k auto-crit backstabs, and has decent survivability/mobility.

There's also a trait in Shadow Arts that prevents you from being critically hit while in stealth. So that might explain the 1k autos on longbow.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Was he condi or power?

Could've been evade spamming, stealth spamming.

You said he was winning 1v5 killing everyone multiple times but his damage was only so-so? That honestly just sounds like those players weren't very good.

There's also
. Although by today's standards this build might not be very good, an old thief youtuber used a similar build to kill noobs in WvW. This build heals for 3k health every time he uses Cloak and Dagger, deals 4.5k auto-crit backstabs, and has decent survivability/mobility.

There's also a trait in Shadow Arts that prevents you from being critically hit while in stealth. So that might explain the 1k autos on longbow.

he can't stealth coz I spam sick em on him .

@CRrabbit.1284 said:

Next time try to upload a video with the combat log show in chat so we can see what's the situation like.Guessing now won't do anybody any good.

You could always swoop in with a maul and half his health. Shooting from range isn't always the best option, especially if he is stealthing. Stealth doesn't mean he's invincible. And Sic 'em is a reveal, so take that opportunity to surprise him with a melee attack. If he goes into stealth again, use your block with GS to stop him from using a backstab. Use your other weapons to their advantage; there's a reason why there are two sets. What are your pets?

@malisivo.5264 said:You could always swoop in with a maul and half his health. Shooting from range isn't always the best option, especially if he is stealthing. Stealth doesn't mean he's invincible. And Sic 'em is a reveal, so take that opportunity to surprise him with a melee attack. If he goes into stealth again, use your block with GS to stop him from using a backstab. Use your other weapons to their advantage; there's a reason why there are two sets. What are your pets?

He wasn't asking how to kill thievesPoor lad is bamboozled why his longbow was hitting for so little

@malisivo.5264 said:

@"EnderzShadow.2506" said:He wasn't asking how to kill thievesPoor lad is bamboozled why his longbow was hitting for so little

Oh, well, I thought he had a L2P issue to discuss here...

Yeah he's asking why he hits like a wet noodle on a particular thief-- " I guess it's a L2P problem, maybe there is some hidden mechanism I don't know??? "

since there is not much diffrence to my wvw style - im gonna give it a shot: yes i do autohit 4k on players too but less dmg on thiefs. killing a thief works best if you lb 4 and lb 2 + Quickening Zephyr + your pet(something that attacks fast like Smokescale) with sick em. best dmg spike you can have against a thief, sooo either you kill him with this or he stealths away.

I am sorry, but the more I read what you say the less possible it sounds.You'd really have to post video/screenshots of that.Historically there have been and still are some very tank Thief builds in WvW but they are mostly Daredevil builds, generally Staff based and some other Builds mostly Sword based, but they don't deal any threatening dmg.You say he killed everyone in 1v5 with Dagger while being so super tanky, ... that's simply not possible with a slight chance that those 5 people were absolute noobs.

If you were a full berserker, with aa of LB you should hit a thief with 3k-5k easily. The fact you hit him with maximum 1k, means he was full tanky(at least 3500 armor = 2200 Toughness or so), which means he couldn't do much damage (his power should be like 1400), which means if he killed 5 of you, then all of you were berserkers and new players.PS: I played berserker many times, and I didn't see any tanky class (warrior, guardian, engi) who didn't get 2k-4k from my AA Longbow.Like ppl say, we need to see a video.

Archived