We need a fix for Scrapper

hugo.4705

That spec is clearly broken, and I don't even want to speak about that annoying little gyro that follow me everywhere. I also hate the Gyro associated skills: shredder, detonation etc. Rather prefer to use turrets instead. But what is the worst In my opinion is that 3rd column of specialization:Option 1: Adaptive armor: Condition damage -20% when struck, quite stupid to have a ton of armor if we don't deal enough damage.Option 2: Final salvo: superspeed, lightning field if destroyed, again ok but not that's much useful since I don't use gyros, and have no reasons to use them, plus, don't care of lightning field.Option 3: Applied force: the worst, quickness if 10 stack of might, and since I never have might....Gyros aren't logical: Shredder don't deal bleeding, detonation don't deal burning and purge one don't even heal you.

What I'm suggesting: Not fan of Gyros, the mechanic should be reworked, they aren't working for a long time and do few damage, the third line of specialization should be redone with more clever traits like "gain 3x might per 10 vulnerability inflected, increasing duration of condition, decrease recharge time of hammer skills by 20%. "Increase damage dealt by skill 1 and 5.BTW, will not speak about the Elite gyro, a joke!! Give me a real elite gyro: A gyro generating an electrifying tornado shooting spikes, lightning bolts and poison darts!

What's your opinion on the subject?

The quickness with Might one is pretty good if combined with Juggernaut and the "might on crit" traits for a power build. I can passively get around 20 stacks just by flame-throwering a person with fury on, and just having the flamethrower out gives me about 13-15 stacks just sitting there out of combat, though it takes a few seconds to build up properly, and when that quickness kicks in I can cap Might most of the time with the flamethrower's fire wall+ the mortar elite's explosion toolbelt and maybe a gyro explosion in it to keep it rolling.

The lightning field + superspeed is good if combined with the trait that heals you and people around you when you have superspeed or swiftness. I use it on my support engie build so that when the bulwark gyro or the healing gyro if I have it equipped goes down, I can give a bunch of speed and pulse healing ticks around me. Plus you can turn the lightning field into a weakness spam with projectiles if positioned right or blast finisher for swiftness since the speed only lasts a few seconds to keep the heal ticks coming in addition to moving faster.

While yes the traits aren't great on their own, they help make other traits better. plus, bulwark gyro is pretty good. Anyone within range acts like they're under protection....which stacks with regular protection. So they go from taking 1/3 less damage to if you have the "shield gives allies protection" talent, to taking 66% less damage, give or take, and if you have a way to keep protection up like boon duration it can be quite useful. Interestingly enough, on the topic of lightning fields, engineers can give nearly every field type in the game, more than even elementalists. The only one they can't do is Dark.

But I agree, some things could use some tweaks. It's billed as a tanky / support type spec, but it doesn't have a whole lot of support in the vein of druids, firebrands, or chronomancers. It relies on other tricks like Alchemy trait line + medkit / elixir gun and stuff to make its support shine, but if you need to pump out some raw healing it's pretty nice being able to just auto-attack spray for like 2.5k or so, depending on boons with the medkit.

@"hugo.4705" said:Yay, I guess, the only solution to have max might is using the flamethrower, so kit, but then what's the point of hammer skills if you never use them? Flamethrower + his trait are great but you can't simply use only kits...

Well, Hammer is really useful for block + barrier skill, kind of like the tool kit's gear shield with an added barrier and it gives more lightning field that you can use with the auto attack + the whirl / projectile reflect to spam vulnerability, plus it has a blast finisher that strikes 2-3 times if you're point blank with a target and have a field under them you want to detonate multiple times. It can be useful, but requires making use of that barrier / the projectile reflection and the fact it can multi-blast combo fields like that to be useful. It's useful to provide some tankiness to your flamethrower. Swap to it if you need to block attacks / reflect projectiles / a leap, then get back to torching them.

Interestingly enough, the auto attacks of the hammer also give might...per target. So if you're slapping away with 3 targets in melee that's 3 stacks of might per swing that last about 10 seconds, and the auto attack every 1/2 second.

Hammer isn't amazing, but it's pretty good if you treat it as a defensive / support weapon rather than a "smash their faces in for massive damage" type. Oh, and if you have the Kinetic Battery trait, the hammer skill Thunderclap will build charges when it hits an enemy.

As far as utility skills go gyros are not bad. The just need minor tweaks like giving blast gyro a blast finisher, removing the tracking dart projectile (this gives two opportunities to dodge this skill on top of the fact that the gyro can be cc'd/killed), and increasing the radius on shredder gyro.

The problem with scrapper is it lacks a proper specialization mechanic. Any rework should focus on changing function gyro. Changes to traits on utilities can be done through balance patches.

Try thisgw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASnUUBFpi1aBGYBEqil7iS8g+hQk+2j9cHcBjwAA-jJROABF/AAg/CAAw+DcXGAA

Power damage on hammer isn't bad, auto on flamethrower makes 25 might stacks easy, will have high crit and ferocity bonus often from No Scope. Tag everyone with flame thrower to gain might, switch to hammer when gain quickness and stack vulnerability. Hits hard, I have one shot people with Rocket Charge, if hit all 3 hits.

I think there is a chance to maybe get some traits looked at and maybe a reworking of what the Gyros do. But it is highly unlikely that they would remove Gyros in their entirety and replace them with something else. I also happen to enjoy using Sneak Gyro. I really don't see it as all that bad.

Scrapper is my favorite of all elite specs and the one I have the most success with in WvW. I would like to see it get some attention where it's needed but I don't think it's in terrible condition outside of PvE. It has a very strong support role in zergs and it has always been a strong bruiser. Further adjustments to Gyros and a couple trait + skill tweaks would be enough IMO.

If anything does happen to it, I just hope they don't decide to turn it in to a completely support based spec by removing a lot of it's damage. I very much enjoy the bruiser style that Scrapper offers but it sometimes concerns me that ANet will decide that support should be it's only role.

Archived