Axe attack range. Am i the only one?

Zeek.6743

Is it just me or does it feel like the attack range for mirage axe be slightly increase to idk 300? Imo 130 or w/e it is for melee just feels off to me. I just feel it should be slightly out of melee range allowing clones to keep a lil distance as well so they dont get cleaved so easy and keeps that small gap for anoyance in pvp/wvw

Clarify: yes im the only one who feels this way and should stay the sameNo: more range would feel much better on axe

Yes and no. I would have liked Axe to be ranged; I mean, we have a RANGED greatsword weapon. But then the playstyle feels more in line with Sword than, say, Scepter. The 2 skill is best used point blank while the 3 skill acts as an escape/gap closing skill. So, mechanically Axe feels more like melee but thematically feels like it should be ranged.

Yes, it would be far more convenient with some extra range (mostly on parts 1 and 2 of the autoattack). I'd make Lacerating Chop and Ethereal Chop ~250 and Mirror Strikes ~160. That would make Axe almost perfect to me. Almost, because it still suffers from other issues (e.g., clunkiness of axe #2 and weak ambush).

I feel like (after trying it out) needs more range for sure, however in a magical sense. Be like GS and have some sort of ranged ground based ability where you blast an area for something (summon a magical axe that strikes the ground kind of thing). Maybe throw your axe 900 units and slow/confuse or something. I feel Anet could have done a bit less melee teleporty and gave a bit of magical range attacks (even if it was just 1 ability that was ranged...like 900 range)

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:Maybe throw your axe 900 units and slow/confuse or something. I feel Anet could have done a bit less melee teleporty and gave a bit of magical range attacks (even if it was just 1 ability that was ranged...like 900 range)

The move set is perfectly fine for me and fits the style. An ability like that doesnt fit the style at all. I just believe it should have more range for the first two abilities atleast (idr axe 3 ability range) is because its mesmers and theyre called mirage. By the class and name it just seems like they should be close enough for melee based enemies but be an anoyance at a distance jump everywhere just outside of range keeping them running. But i understand why it was made as a melee weapon because mesmers dont rly have that besides sword where as a ton of ranged weapons. Just feel it shouldve been closer range than scepter but just outside melee. Even talking with my friend who has at least a thousand hours in mesmer (main and all they play) completely agreed it would feel soo much better

@Zeek.6743 said:

@Carighan.6758 said:It's a melee weapon, melee = 130 range. Feels perfectly fine to me.

yes its a melee weapon but what im saying is i feel it shouldnt have been.

That's great, but bumping up the range (on the auto attack) introduces a slew of problems. If you make it an actual mid-range weapon, then the rest of the weapon doesn't make sense.Axe2 becomes problematic because you dash forward with a mid-range weapon (close-range ability on mid-range weapon, what?) and the clone generation would have to have much larger range (it's already around 450 range for the clone to spawn, if you buffed the axe range, that range would probably need to become 600+ which is pretty ridiculous).Axe3 becomes problematic because again, you leap forward with a mid-range weapon (close-range ability on mid-range weapon). You can remove the dash component of this ability and make it just teleport you around a target and strike, (which actually solves the part of the issue of blinking in bad spots) but the evade component then becomes awkward and almost useless (since the evade is in the dash portion).

So to make it a proper mid-range weapon, you'd also need to update the Axe3 and redesign the Axe2. And at that point, it's not really a small change to the weapon.

Don't get me started on the ambush for this, either.

@Esplen.3940 said:

@Zeek.6743 said:

@Carighan.6758 said:It's a melee weapon, melee = 130 range. Feels perfectly fine to me.

yes its a melee weapon but what im saying is i feel it shouldnt have been.

That's great, but bumping up the range (on the auto attack) introduces a slew of problems. If you make it an actual mid-range weapon, then the rest of the weapon doesn't make sense.Axe2 becomes problematic because you dash forward with a mid-range weapon (close-range ability on mid-range weapon, what?) and the clone generation would have to have much larger range (it's already around 450 range for the clone to spawn, if you buffed the axe range, that range would probably need to become 600+ which is pretty ridiculous).Axe3 becomes problematic because again, you leap forward with a mid-range weapon (close-range ability on mid-range weapon). You can remove the dash component of this ability and make it just teleport you around a target and strike, (which actually solves the part of the issue of blinking in bad spots) but the evade component then becomes awkward and almost useless (since the evade is in the dash portion).

So to make it a proper mid-range weapon, you'd also need to update the Axe3 and redesign the Axe2. And at that point, it's not really a small change to the weapon.

Don't get me started on the ambush for this, either.

200 is not mid range. I don't know about others, but I just want axe to have some extra range on its auto because it would make gameplay smoother. I feel like it also matches axe theme (cutting through air with ethereal axes).I'm not asking for it to become mid range weapon as it would completely remove the purpose of scepter.

300 is bordering mid-range, and even if it was a mid-range weapon it wouldn't trivialize the Scepter unless it got to 600+ range.

Oh I forgot to mention, Traited Axe would probably have to get reworked too because spinning axe has 130 range (and seeking has 200).

Like I said, just "adding range to the auto" creates a whole slew of problems.

@Esplen.3940 said:300 is bordering mid-range, and even if it was a mid-range weapon it wouldn't trivialize the Scepter unless it got to 600+ range.

Oh I forgot to mention, Traited Axe would probably have to get reworked too because spinning axe has 130 range (and seeking has 200).

Like I said, just "adding range to the auto" creates a whole slew of problems.

You might be right, considering how long it takes Anet to balance and update stuff. Yeah, it may be overwhelming for them. :tongue:I still think that more range on axe would be nice, but we probably won't see it or any other meanigful changes in near future anyway, so this is just another "what if" thread.

Archived