Class suggestion for a new player

Sleepwalker.1398

Hi, i have a friend who bought the game a while back but never really played it. (he's more of a console game person)I recently fixed his PC and saw he has GW2 full vanilla edition.He wants to give the game a try and hopefully buy the new expansions but im not sure what class to recommend him.With vanilla, which class is good in both zerg and solo for wvw?

It's difficult to say which core profession is good for WvW zerging and solo as the WvW meta has mostly elite specializations. I would recommend your friend to start playing open world PvE first with either a warrior, ranger or necromancer. Those are the most beginner friendly professions that can help your friend learn the game. But to answer your question, core warrior is the only viable profession out of the three. Despite being seen as inferior to Spellbreaker, it's still good if you know how to play it.

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:Hi, i have a friend who bought the game a while back but never really played it. (he's more of a console game person)I recently fixed his PC and saw he has GW2 full vanilla edition.He wants to give the game a try and hopefully buy the new expansions but im not sure what class to recommend him.With vanilla, which class is good in both zerg and solo for wvw?

warrior.

core war is good as roamer or zerglinf

axe shield gs, gs riffle, riffle gs, sword warhorn hammer, gs hammer, or battle standard.shout war.

if not war, then probably guard or ele

Warrior is a great choice for new vanilla players that want the flexibility to roam and do well in larger zerg battles. It's also probably one of the least mechanically complex classes (although nothing in GW2 is hard to play) so it's good for a first character whilst learning the game.

Shout Guardian is still viable in zergs.

Solo with base you probably want warrior. Mesmer is good, but has a high learning curve.

[Added] This might work for a base-game guardian build in zergs. It's not optimized, many of the meta things you could do require HoT.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAW5el8AhahYrQwUIQQEHME1tY7yAAXBbwIkrv87DA-jFSDABGqEkp9HA4BAkj6PUcRAS4IAEiuhsU+BA-w

Warrior. For sure. Teaches mechanics that can be transferred to other classes and is super easy. I started with thief (which at launch was not as difficult as it is now) and it was a lot of fun and pretty easy to get the hang of but transferring to a new class was essentially a new game for me.

scourge. put your brain in a jar to watch some tv and run around with 10 of your scourge friends to own everything - since ranger - who can kill scourge quite easily - are hated by the wvw community because they take up a slot in a squad that a firebland or another scourge could take.I know, it doesn't make any sense to me either.yes I'm triggered by wvw at the moment, or as I like to call it, scourge world vs scourge world.

WvW free for 6 days now, looking for a sponsor.

• 3 weeks later...

You can't go wrong with s/d core thief. For roaming at least. I do get into blob fights too on occasion though. Take out those stragglers and target backliners. keep the poison clouds going with short bow. And a few dagger storms in the fray. With full marauders it's quite durable even in blobs.

@Razi.6031 said:You can't go wrong with s/d core thief. For roaming at least. I do get into blob fights too on occasion though. Take out those stragglers and target backliners. keep the poison clouds going with short bow. And a few dagger storms in the fray. With full marauders it's quite durable even in blobs.

Just no for s/d thief - too difficult to play.Warrior and guardian are excellent for new players. Player is also close to commander and in action. Both also good for roaming and for small fights.

d/p core thief is great for roaming and camp capping. Thief is best for roaming, if new player.

Archived