How many thieves are on break?

Crab Fear.1624

Disclaimer : Of course I am experiencing confirmation bias.

Now, time for a little troll salt.

When I play the PvP in the NA, I don't see many thieves.

I see a very few DE's, and I do see "some" varying thief types( DD, Sword, Condi, Staff). But, when I do see these thieves it's even more rare to see any that I would ever consider a threat.

By that, I mean if I see a thief, which is rare enough, they are bad.

Nowadays, I very rarely have my bootyhole pucker up when fighting any thief.

I saw Vallun in the FFA the other day. I would have just clicked surrender if he had attacked because I know my limit.

I knew that he knew my kit because before he engaged, he headshot me to burn my hard to catch trait, which is something these bads wouldn't think of.

Some of these thief forum lurkers I see comment here are the in game when I checked for "threats" in the roster, but they are usually on some other class (necro, engi, mesmer).

And, no there was not a thief on the other team at the time. And, yes you lost.

Normally, I say I am bad. But, I feel it's time:

CALLING ALL THIEVES, YOU ARE BAD....I'LL SEE YOU IN GAME

Edit: I am mid plat 1 right now, so i think the spread would allow me to see some upper tier sometimes. ;)

@Crab Fear.1624 said:I knew that he knew my kit because before he engaged, he headshot me to burn my hard to catch trait, which is something these bads wouldn't think of.

I only play WvW - mostly with S/P and Rifle, but this is the first thing I do when I see any iteration of Warrior :) Infiltrator's Strike from outside the actual attack range -> headshot -> Infiltrator's Return -> wait out lesser balanced stance, then engage. xD

I don't really Rank as Thief anymore even though I thought I'd never see that day happen.Spending my time as Ele and Ranger in Ranked now, still do Thief in Unrank from time to time but it pains me every time to know how much more I can do as Ele, Ranger, Rev... or any other profession.I see Thieves more rarely on EU, 90% in Unrank are DEs, 95% DEs in Rank.As a Thief I play power S/D Daredevil (bite me Cores, still have yet to meet one to prove me wrong)

@Alatar.7364 said:I don't really Rank as Thief anymore even though I thought I'd never see that day happen.Spending my time as Ele and Ranger in Ranked now, still do Thief in Unrank from time to time but it pains me every time to know how much more I can do as Ele, Ranger, Rev... or any other profession.I see Thieves more rarely on EU, 90% in Unrank are DEs, 95% DEs in Rank.As a Thief I play power S/D Daredevil (bite me Cores, still have yet to meet one to prove me wrong)

I don't doubt the power of DD s/d thief power. I have an effective (for me) DD/TR/AC build when I play that weapon set. Lately it's been double dags or staff.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:I don't really Rank as Thief anymore even though I thought I'd never see that day happen.Spending my time as Ele and Ranger in Ranked now, still do Thief in Unrank from time to time but it pains me every time to know how much more I can do as Ele, Ranger, Rev... or any other profession.I see Thieves more rarely on EU, 90% in Unrank are DEs, 95% DEs in Rank.As a Thief I play power S/D Daredevil (bite me Cores, still have yet to meet one to prove me wrong)

I don't doubt the power of DD s/d thief power. I have an effective (for me) DD/TR/AC build when I play that weapon set. Lately it's been double dags or staff.

Ah, so sorry if the last line of my Post looked like it was aimed at you. =D It was just generic 'by-the-way' statement.

@Alatar.7364 said:Well you put it in numbers and unfortunatelly i must agree. mayjority of thieves are now deadeyes. which pains me a lot. for most there are almost no Condi thieves out there. if i ever fight any thief (dont DE) they are power d/p or s/d but no condi guys. condi DD Trappers would be all but dead if it werent for me taking the last stand. (saying from my info ok maybe i am wrong) there is only one condi theif i get to meet in ranked i forgot the name lol but really i if i seen her i'd knew what i face. it is shame imo. DE stole our profesion from us and nerfs beat us to the very ground. :'(

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

@Alatar.7364 said:Well you put it in numbers and unfortunatelly i must agree. mayjority of thieves are now deadeyes. which pains me a lot. for most there are almost no Condi thieves out there. if i ever fight any thief (dont DE) they are power d/p or s/d but no condi guys. condi DD Trappers would be all but dead if it werent for me taking the last stand. (saying from my info ok maybe i am wrong) there is only one condi theif i get to meet in ranked i forgot the name lol but really i if i seen her i'd knew what i face. it is shame imo. DE stole our profesion from us and nerfs beat us to the very ground. :'(

Just a random thought, but why do you care what other people play? Play what you enjoy and gets you kills, and don't bother with anything else.

On topic; I'm still playing, been pretty busy irl at the moment since I work 24h shifts and we've been short staffed most of August and September. I'll be hiding in keeps whenever I get free time tho :P

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

I love thief. I ve always like the idea of the assassin class in MMOs. Attack from stealth massive dmg but low hp so it takes skill. I prefer melee. But nowadays in pvp your only role is to run around like a monkey to decap nodes. There's +1 but other classes do it better.

Our dmg is absolute rubbish compared to other classes. Back stab on Marauder amulet does what 6-7k. Power mesmer auto attack does that amount with out the need to do all this funky combo stuff and get the right timing for a backstab. Holo auto attack with quickness adds up to more than that in seconds. Sic em ranger basically takes 3 seconds to finish some one when catching some one off guard. The list goes on.

Thief melee right now isn't an assassin it's more like the run away class because it can't actually fight anything by it self.unless you are below gold, that's when anything goes.

I love sword dagger and dagger pistol. The game play is fun. But when you have to do 30 million things with no mistakes just to defeat some one reducing your only role to running around the map to cap points I rather go deadeye.

When I tell people I play guild wars and tell them I play thief. They say cool. So u do massive dmg. I am like no... They ask what do you do. I tell them i run around n cap points because I run very fast.. they like usually like...what the...

I don't really play in general and when I did it was mostly WvW, since you can make tangible plays 1v1/1v2 and usually play a bit off-meta instead of being relegated to decapping/+1'ing. Though these days it's no better than sPvP which is why I left in the first place.

I switched to Reaper a while back (prior to even the first set of buffs) because it was more fun and more consistent but the necro community cried that it was too weak in PvE so its defenses got gutted, and then this last update to reaper was just the same thing again, so it got converted to a one-trick noob-magnet with too much counterplay with the current FoTM builds and good players.

The satisfaction of out-playing your opponent - the premise of the thief in the first place - is gone, even on the thief. Matchups are glorified rock-paper-scissors fights at this point.

So why bother playing at all? The forum PvP is better and to be honest, has been for quite a while.

I'm certainly not a good thief, but I do play Deadeye (shorbow/rifle) in WvW and very occasionally PvP. My main classes for PvP are Ele, and Guard, followed by Necro. With most classes, when you add more opponents, you just need to do what you normally do slightly more perfectly to not die and maybe kill your target. Thief usually needs to give up some position in order to do that, which makes it harder to defend. Rifle in particular has no aoe options, and similarly most thief skills lack larger scale impact. In contrast, ele and mesmer just fling aoes everywhere and have more evades than a daredevil with blocks and stability a plenty. I won't get started on mesmer though. I will say it would be nice if thief could offer the same combination of utility and firepower that the mesmer is capable of.

@Gatvin.6510 said:I'm certainly not a good thief, but I do play Deadeye (shorbow/rifle) in WvW and very occasionally PvP. My main classes for PvP are Ele, and Guard, followed by Necro. With most classes, when you add more opponents, you just need to do what you normally do slightly more perfectly to not die and maybe kill your target. Thief usually needs to give up some position in order to do that, which makes it harder to defend. Rifle in particular has no aoe options, and similarly most thief skills lack larger scale impact. In contrast, ele and mesmer just fling aoes everywhere and have more evades than a daredevil with blocks and stability a plenty. I won't get started on mesmer though. I will say it would be nice if thief could offer the same combination of utility and firepower that the mesmer is capable of.

Completely agree. It's insanely ridiculous that we have a fraction of the damage and a fraction of the evades and lower hp. It's like playing handicapped.

I will point out that I exclusively play a condi DE in ranked.

I run into plenty of thieves that are condi. There was a condi DD just yesterday I fought against. There’s also a few I forget the names of who I’ve seen a number of times who run condi thief.

Majority are power. I fought several S/D DD and core thieves yesterday as well. 60% of matches I had a thief on opposing team.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Just a random thought, but why do you care what other people play? Play what you enjoy and gets you kills, and don't bother with anything else.

you answered it for yourself actually. i do need to care what other people play otherwise i am not able to get kills. also with current state of thief you wont get those anyway. you may get them on DE but not on thief or DD. i would love to play what i enjoy but i cant. cuz of other ppl. that is why i need to watch out for that. and if i dont like it i mention it so it gets fixed so i could have fun as well. easy as that

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Just a random thought, but why do you care what other people play? Play what you enjoy and gets you kills, and don't bother with anything else.

you answered it for yourself actually. i do need to care what other people play otherwise i am not able to get kills. also with current state of thief you wont get those anyway. you may get them on DE but not on thief or DD. i would love to play what i enjoy but i cant. cuz of other ppl. that is why i need to watch out for that. and if i dont like it i mention it so it gets fixed so i could have fun as well. easy as that

Fully agreed. Playing decap with out the ability to do damage and only capable of finishing some else's fight makes you feel like a side character on clean up duty.

No one wants to play a side character or be on clean up duty.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:

@bluri.2653 said:ill prolly play again when next expac comes

Why waste the money?

30-40€ is not even coffee money over a month, besides i play all aspects of the game including pve/wvw with my wife so I still enjoy the game from time to time. I am not putting effort into ranked queue or tournaments anymore thought, that might change in the future if i by any chance would enjoy it again which i probably wont.

@TorQ.7041 said:

Fully agreed. Playing decap with out the ability to do damage and only capable of finishing some else's fight makes you feel like a side character on clean up duty.

Or you take a moment to appreciate the chess thinking of where to move and when due to the high mobility, some enjoy it some don't. I'd say 99% of the thieves have no idea how to rotate in conquest

@bluri.2653 said:

@bluri.2653 said:ill prolly play again when next expac comes

Why waste the money?

30-40€ is not even coffee money over a month, besides i play all aspects of the game including pve/wvw with my wife so I still enjoy the game from time to time. I am not putting effort into ranked queue or tournaments anymore thought, that might change in the future if i by any chance would enjoy it again which i probably wont.

Or you take a moment to appreciate the chess thinking of where to move and when due to the high mobility, some enjoy it some don't. I'd say 99% of the thieves have no idea how to rotate in conquest

I mean. Yeah I enjoy it up to a certain point. But when it's the only thing you can do for basically all time. It gets old. And when u go to a node and a Holo or ranger stands there. You basically have to say nope let me run around to another point or +1. U feel powerless. A rogue assassin class scared of a 1v1.

Other classes have options. Firebrand healer vs dragon Hunter vs core for example.

Just my opinion.

On a side note I told my co worker I play gw2. He was like oh you play thief. So it's like low hp high dmg right? No.. in pvp low hp low dmg... Wow what do you do then? ... I run away very fast..

Archived