How many of you guys actually like decapping as your primary objective in pvp?

TorQ.7041

Thief is the "rogue/assassin" class in most games. But Barring from deadeye. Your main role is basically is just to run around to decap or to +1 because realistically you can't actually roam or 1v1.

I recently got back to gw2 after 4 years to see thieves are no longer something to be feared. Only the deadeye. But I miss the melee assassin feeling. Just wondering what ever one else does after.

For me I am either going deadeye or transitioning out to holo because I don't want to only run around and decap.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

@"Zlater.6789" said:If all you're doing is decapping, you're not doing your job. You also need to +1, eliminate key threats in team fights and juke the other team through the minimap.

Sure.maybe I missed that out on my post But that's because I assume... +1 is basic and any 1 even in bronze understands that.

The point was whether every one is happy to be the guy that actually can't 1v1 anything and can "only+1" which basically means u can't do it ur self u need some one to do most of the work for u.

You are basically the side character because a mesmer can quickly portal, teleport, sword 1 and move as quickly as u and can deal way more dmg than u. If u r happy with that then that's ur opinion and that's fine.

You are talking about thief as if it ever were a strong 1v1er in conquest, no it was never meant to 1v1/hold nodes in conquest since the beginning of the game. There was one time where thief could 1v1 decently but that took way too long regardless and that was 2013 prime of SD. That's over 5 years ago. And even then it was not optimal gameplay compared to decap/+1 so I have no clue what you are on about

@bluri.2653 said:You are talking about thief as if it ever were a strong 1v1er in conquest, no it was never meant to 1v1/hold nodes in conquest since the beginning of the game. There was one time where thief could 1v1 decently but that took way too long regardless and that was 2013 prime of SD. That's over 5 years ago. And even then it was not optimal gameplay compared to decap/+1 so I have no clue what you are on about

I don't really care if you have no clue what I am talking about. ... there's no reason thief has to be stuck in 1 role, since every class can fill different roles. That was the point, if u don't agree then that's u... I disagree, the description of the thief clearly states master of 1v1 But it clearly isn't. If u can't read, I can't help you.

@TorQ.7041 said:

@bluri.2653 said:You are talking about thief as if it ever were a strong 1v1er in conquest, no it was never meant to 1v1/hold nodes in conquest since the beginning of the game. There was one time where thief could 1v1 decently but that took way too long regardless and that was 2013 prime of SD. That's over 5 years ago. And even then it was not optimal gameplay compared to decap/+1 so I have no clue what you are on about

I don't really care if you have no clue what I am talking about. ... there's no reason thief has to be stuck in 1 role, since every class can fill different roles. That was the point, if u don't agree then that's u... I disagree, the description of the thief clearly states master of 1v1 But it clearly isn't. If u can't read, I can't help you.

The problem is that if thief were the best pick for every role, why would you ever need any other class? And if it werent the best pick for a role why would you take it for that role, and not bring something better?

@TorQ.7041 said:

The thing that you fail to understand is that thief will never be a 1v1er in conquest due to the design of the gamemode. In order to be a good 1v1er you have to be able to survive a +1 from other classes, you have to have sustain, you have to have node pressure and which thief does not have. So you are basically asking thief either to have so high damage that it literally can obliterate any sustain/bunker build in 1v1 but also be able to sustain 1v1's, you realize it would end up being 5 thieves vs 5 thieves in conquest then?

Also in the first post you say thief was feared 4 years ago and that makes it sound as if thieves were able to 1v1 classes in conquest, again you are making no sense whatsoever

@TorQ.7041 said:

If I had to choose 1 person who is super knowledgeable on thief its bluri aka sindrener who is arguably the best thief to touch the game.

• 2 weeks later...

People need to stop thinking that their classes must be able to do everything.

Want to 1x1? Play a Duelist class.Want to Support, switch to a support.

+1 and decap must be annoying for some people playing D/P Thief. But for people that play multiclass, I can't the amount of times I was playing something else just to think "God, I wish I was on a thief to decap that far right now".

@Zlater.6789 said:

The problem is that if thief were the best pick for every role, why would you ever need any other class? And if it werent the best pick for a role why would you take it for that role, and not bring something better?

I don't think he means all roles though, just a different role from what it is currently.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

I don't think he means all roles though, just a different role from what it is currently.

Thanks. It seems like no one else understands that I don't want the thief to be best at everything. Just something different. Since both d/p and s/d is basically the same roll.

@TorQ.7041 said:

Thanks. It seems like no one else understands that I don't want the thief to be best at everything. Just something different. Since both d/p and s/d is basically the same roll.

I think that because of the way you framed your question.

I guess you just really want to be a good 1v1 class is all? So you should know thief isn't actually so bad at 1v1's. The problem is that in conquest thief usually can't 1v1 while contributing positively to the scoreboard. If you're fighting someone 1v1 you don't just fight him because they are there, thats how so many people throw matches, you NEED to be 1v1'ing them for a reason, and in conquest it is almost entirely to defend or take a node.

Here are some examples of why you should 1v1:

• Because you own the node you're standing on and you want to prevent someone from decapping it.
  • Because you want to intercept and immediately pressure a key person before they arrive at a node (eg. necros)
  • Because you want to get a decap/cap on a point where you think you are in favor in winning or decapping it quickly despite them standing on it.

Because a thief's defensive kit is built around stealth, evading and kiting, it makes it extremely difficult to 1v1 without risk of losing the node. Contrast that to spell breaker for example who relies on Blocks, evades and sustain as a part of their defensive kit, and you'll see why thief isn't ever really chosen. Imagine what it would be like if you give that stuff to thief along with their current kit, it would make for something insanely op.

@Zlater.6789 said:

@"bluri.2653" said:You are talking about thief as if it ever were a strong 1v1er in conquest, no it was never meant to 1v1/hold nodes in conquest since the beginning of the game. There was one time where thief could 1v1 decently but that took way too long regardless and that was 2013 prime of SD. That's over 5 years ago. And even then it was not optimal gameplay compared to decap/+1 so I have no clue what you are on about

I guess you just really want to be a good 1v1 class is all? So you should know thief isn't actually so bad at 1v1's. The problem is that in conquest thief usually can't 1v1 while contributing positively to the scoreboard. If you're fighting someone 1v1 you don't just fight him because they are there, thats how so many people throw matches, you NEED to be 1v1'ing them for a reason, and in conquest it is almost entirely to defend or take a node.

• Because you own the node you're standing on and you want to prevent someone from decapping it.
  • Because you want to intercept and immediately pressure a key person before they arrive at a node (eg. necros)
  • Because you want to get a decap/cap on a point where you think you are in favor in winning or decapping it quickly despite them standing on it.

Because a thief's defensive kit is built around stealth, evading and kiting, it makes it extremely difficult to 1v1 without risk of losing the node. Contrast that to spell breaker for example who relies on Blocks, evades and sustain as a part of their defensive kit, and you'll see why thief isn't ever really chosen. Imagine what it would be like if you give that stuff to thief along with their current kit, it would make for something insanely op.

You could just make the staff thief or another weapon set more more viable to do that....That build has no stealth. It has a gmmicky high dps. U are basically saying a thief automatically had all the "kit" but it doesn't. S/d has zero stealth, except for if u take an uility but that's not always worth it.

that's like saying before firebrand Guardian only had the core and it's role is core therefore because of it's high defenses it cannot do anything else... Except that it does. And that's how you have core,dh and firebrand.

Also you don't have to imagine what you just said. Mirages can have 2 stealths, blink, portal, 3 joints, 2 interupts,evade on sword 2,2 invul, mutiple de-targets, reflect on dodge and mutiple clones to cause confusing. That's way more than what you just described. Saying imagine having stealth and and evades means it can do nothing else... Doesn't make sense when the mirage already had all have that and more.

@Zlater.6789 said:

@"bluri.2653" said:You are talking about thief as if it ever were a strong 1v1er in conquest, no it was never meant to 1v1/hold nodes in conquest since the beginning of the game. There was one time where thief could 1v1 decently but that took way too long regardless and that was 2013 prime of SD. That's over 5 years ago. And even then it was not optimal gameplay compared to decap/+1 so I have no clue what you are on about

Also it's not just I want... Its literally in the description. Master at 1v1. They should remove that if it's not true, I feel it should be true for all game modes.

Every other class u can do different roles, druid boonbeast, sic em ranger, Holo can basically do everything etc.

As I mentioned. What u described to say thief can do that because of "kit" makes no sense. As mesmer has all of that and more.

But hey.. you are entitled to your belief. U want to always run away from 8/9 classes and always need some one to fight then I am happy for you.

@Zlater.6789 said:

I also didn't need you to explain why thief cant 1v1 in pvp. I already know why it can't 1v1. Thats the whole reason I am not satisfied with this

And I am saying that since every profession has a build for a different role. The thief should get the same.

@StabbersTheThird.6053 said:Where's my option? I play Thief to oneshot people in DD, stomp them, and move on all in the span of roughly 1.8s. :)

Crit Devi basi build? Not trying to be rude but I feel that. That build is a 1 shot gimmick. You miss it. You gotta run. S/d is more valuable in that it can remove boons n do more overall dmg while still decapping. Essentially the 1 shot crit devil build is less effective at it's +1 decap role if it misses while the role it self is still the same.

I also feel if u do that. Might as well run d/p, assassin sig backstab. Won't always consistently 1 shot but u can add more value for your team after that.

Decapping as the primary role looks somewhat boring, but I like the thrill being mobile and sneaking around bring, also the gameplay feels smoother, just right, and I also like the burst potential. Too much tankyness and sustain makes combat a bit boring in my opinion, burst, disengage, reposition and reengage feels more fun to me. Not saing I like how they killed most of drd usefulness trying "balance" de, but the role I didn't mind.

my personal problem with thief is just the sword dagger build. its just i cant understand this build no matter how hard i try to. imo it does take too long to kill someone in comparison to lets say holosmith or radiance guardian, if you are pinned down by cc you are as dead as power herald in raids, its just poke- go away-poke go away-poke go away, and all they can do is just run with either shadowstep or that dodgeroll. other then that i cant really see through this build.

@Lucas.3718 said:my personal problem with thief is just the sword dagger build. its just i cant understand this build no matter how hard i try to. imo it does take too long to kill someone in comparison to lets say holosmith or radiance guardian, if you are pinned down by cc you are as dead as power herald in raids, its just poke- go away-poke go away-poke go away, and all they can do is just run with either shadowstep or that dodgeroll. other then that i cant really see through this build.

I don't know spvp maps so maybe it doesn't apply but in wvw maps there is some funky terrain, invisible edges here and there, and iffy pathing/topography. You can try deciding to blink in and out or precast Inf Strike to bounce back to and I like play Flanking Strike un-targeted a lot to keep my pivoting tighter and sometimes I'll jump+dodge+Flanking Strike to get some air time and clear some stuff on the ground. Also, I don't see enough Dancing Dagger to torment movement but I love that skill. Cloak and Dagger's not bad if costly and you can use stealth skill or mask Flanking/Larcenous or whatever, plus it's 5 vuln.

@Lucas.3718 said:my personal problem with thief is just the sword dagger build. its just i cant understand this build no matter how hard i try to. imo it does take too long to kill someone in comparison to lets say holosmith or radiance guardian, if you are pinned down by cc you are as dead as power herald in raids, its just poke- go away-poke go away-poke go away, and all they can do is just run with either shadowstep or that dodgeroll. other then that i cant really see through this build.

You basically want to port in skill 3 chain and auto attack. The moment they use a skill you dodge and port out when you need to. The idea is to make them waste all their skills to attack u while u evade n portal away. Once you know they wasted all their skills and can't burst you and/or low on defensive cool downs you can stay longer to finish them off.

Arguebly this makes a s/d a very good Duelist since no other class can disengage like that. But because dmg is now u have to wear them down and kills take a long time against a equally skilled opponent. Which basically means it can't 1v1 in pvp it because you want to get them off the node and decap it.

What other people on this thread dont seem to understand is that they think I don't know this and try to explain blablbla

But I do and that's the main point of this post... That there should be a Duelist thief build since it's supposed to be master at single combat. And it shld be across all modes. And that there shld be a variation in game play. Arguebly Deadeye is a good Duelist, been playing on it alot lately. And I find its able to take 1v1s. Not just for the initial burst but with rfi, withdraw, skill 4 and 2 with out kneel and, s/p as a second set, you can out play and dps down most classes in a short about of time.

@TorQ.7041 said:

Also it's not just I want... Its literally in the description. Master at 1v1. They should remove that if it's not true, I feel it should be true for all game modes.

Every other class u can do different roles, druid boonbeast, sic em ranger, Holo can basically do everything etc.

As I mentioned. What u described to say thief can do that because of "kit" makes no sense. As mesmer has all of that and more.

But hey.. you are entitled to your belief. U want to always run away from 8/9 classes and always need some one to fight then I am happy for you.

Dude just chill lol.

What you don't understand is that thief IS a good 1v1 class. But that there is no such thing as a 1v1 role in conquest, that's why nobody plays any 1v1 builds on thief. There is not a 1v1 conquest build because there has no need for a dedicated 1v1 ROLE in pvp. The most common roles in pvp are DPS, Bunker, Bruiser and +1. The only place you will find 1v1 builds is while roaming in WvW or in obsidian sanctum, where ironically thief is generally considered the king.

The reason that no 1v1 builds exist, is because its not possible to guarantee dedicated 1v1's in a group PvP format. Its not rocket science. The reason that you don't take a 1v1 class to a mid fight is obvious. The reason you don't take it to a side node is because its an inferior matchup vs the ultimate win condition in a 1v1, thats getting +1'd while getting stalled forever by a bruiser.

What you're talking about is inventing a 1v1 build and introducing it into pvp as an inferior alternative to a bruiser or +1 on the side node, that's totally changing the team comp to play something poorly suited to a team game mode. If you ditch the +1 then you're totally sacrificing your ability to instantly outnumber and win team fights, 1v1's and 1v2's on the map. If you give up a bruiser than it would probably cost less, but ultimately you sacrifice mobility and team presence during a mid fight.

Archived